Model Cars Magazine Forum

60's Banger Geek '27 T Touring - Updated 10/13/18

Dennis Lacy

• 3 months later...

UPDATE!

Been a few months but I drug this thing back out of the box and did some work on it over the last couple of weekends.

Finished building up the center k-member, added a master cylinder and cut off the inner trailing arm mounts.

Hosted on Fotki

Finished building up the "Z" in the frame rails.

Hosted on Fotki

Built the exhaust system and added a round tube cross member with hanger bracket.

Hosted on Fotki

Changed the intake to Hilborn fuel injectors and added some bolt heads to the header flange.

Hosted on Fotki

Overall chassis shot.

Hosted on Fotki

Built a headlight bar from .040" and .060" rod and mounted AMT '25 T lights to it.

Hosted on Fotki

Built some front upper shock mounts.

Hosted on Fotki

An overall mock up with the latest additions.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

B)

Thanks, guys. Your comments are much appreciated! 

I LOVE that headlight beam - I was stuck on a design for one that I'm building and this helped me figure it out!  Thanks for posting!

That was a fiddly little thing to make! Glad it helped you with the design of yours.

B)

• 1 year later...

UPDATE!

I haven't been very good at keeping my projects updated on here! No work has taken place recently but more has been done since the last update.

I fit a slightly modified Revell '29 Roadster firewall into the cowl and then proceeded to build sub rails along the lower edges of the body and floor pans from .040" Evergreen sheet. The transmission / drive shaft tunnel was cut out of the floor of a Revell '37 Ford.

DSCN5773-vi.jpg

DSCN5774-vi.jpg

DSCN5775-vi.jpg

DSCN5776-vi.jpg

DSCN5777-vi.jpg

DSCN5779-vi.jpg

DSCN5781-vi.jpg

DSCN5782-vi.jpg

I modified the interior side panels (top) from a Revell '29 Roadster kit to fit the T body.

DSCN5804-vi.jpg

I also modified the bench seat from a Revell '29 Roadster by trimming the sides to make it narrower, clearancing it for the drive shaft tunnel, filling in the sides and making a rear filler panel.

DSCN5805-vi.jpg

DSCN5806-vi.jpg

I made a '32 Ford style dashboard for it from .040" Evergreen sheet and .040" half-round,  fit a Revell '32 gauge panel and mounted a steering column with a Revell '29 Pickup steering wheel.

DSCN5807-vi.jpg

I added .040" round-rod piping around the edges of the rear floor platform for a more "finished" look and made fuel tank brackets.

DSCN5808-vi.jpg

I filled the gaps at the bottom of the firewall.

DSCN5810-vi.jpg

Here's some mock ups of the finished interior and floor pieces. The fuel tank is from Revell's Ed Roth Tweedy Pie T. I added straps to it.

DSCN5811-vi.jpg

DSCN5812-vi.jpg

DSCN5813-vi.jpg

There's still more fab work to do on this model but it's getting closer.

B)

Edited by Dennis Lacy

Your work continues to inspire and amaze me, Dennis.  I love the way you are completing each part totally so that when it comes time for paint, this thing is going to go together like it came out of the box that way.  I have a number of traditional and not-so-traditional projects on the bench at the moment and they have all benefited from your very tight approach to planning and execution.   Looking at the Tub itself, there are so many things to like.  The injection is a great upgrade for that banger revolution period you mentioned.  I have suspected for years that those Revell wheels were a) real but I didn't know where and B)  capable of looking far better than Revell's early silver frost chrome or their modern ultra shiny chrome.  I must have eight sets or more of these and I have yet to use them - that will change very soon!

Like you I am already using some of the awesome spares from the Revell Model A kits.  I am so glad I bought a bunch while they were available.  I just wish they were available when I did the interior of my still unfinished Revell T tub project - your interior looks much nicer than the one I am locked into at the moment.

And it might sound silly, but it hadn't occurred to me to shorten the Deuce frame like you have.  I am putting a resin A tudor body on one and it just looked wrong - now I see an easy solution. So thank you again.

Can't wait to see this finished.  I'm seeing either metallic or flake - am I close?

Cheers

Alan

5 hours ago, alan barton said:

Your work continues to inspire and amaze me, Dennis.  I love the way you are completing each part totally so that when it comes time for paint, this thing is going to go together like it came out of the box that way.  I have a number of traditional and not-so-traditional projects on the bench at the moment and they have all benefited from your very tight approach to planning and execution.   Looking at the Tub itself, there are so many things to like.  The injection is a great upgrade for that banger revolution period you mentioned.  I have suspected for years that those Revell wheels were a) real but I didn't know where and B)  capable of looking far better than Revell's early silver frost chrome or their modern ultra shiny chrome.  I must have eight sets or more of these and I have yet to use them - that will change very soon!

Like you I am already using some of the awesome spares from the Revell Model A kits.  I am so glad I bought a bunch while they were available.  I just wish they were available when I did the interior of my still unfinished Revell T tub project - your interior looks much nicer than the one I am locked into at the moment.

And it might sound silly, but it hadn't occurred to me to shorten the Deuce frame like you have.  I am putting a resin A tudor body on one and it just looked wrong - now I see an easy solution. So thank you again.

Can't wait to see this finished.  I'm seeing either metallic or flake - am I close?

Cheers

Alan

Thanks for all of that! I don't feel like I'm doing anything particularly special but it's always flattering to hear that my projects help or inspire others. I take the same approach to building models that I do with full size cars which is to figure out every last detail and fit everything before the paint process starts. Final assembly goes a bunch smoother. Plus, I don't enjoy painting (nor am I particularly good at it) so I don't mind putting it off, LOL!

For ever I never gave these wheels any consideration, I thought they were ugly. And they are as they come out of the box! I've tossed out multiple sets over the years when I was done picking those Model A kits clean of kit -bashing parts. I have to say after stripping the chrome, adding lug nuts and the correct wing nuts (as Halibrand actually sold them) I really like them. They wouldn't look good on anything but I think they work for this project.

It will be a metallic color. I was going to use Testors 1-coat "Icy Blue" but have since painted two other models that color so I'm probably going to go with a different color. I might go with one of the metallic oranges from the 1-coat line. 

B)

Edited by Dennis Lacy

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/10/2018 at 5:45 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Good to see you getting back to so many of these, Dennis. Always a pleasure to see a real-car builder who gets the guts right on models.  :D

Love reading these kind of threads !

I'm really not that knowledgeable on these early style hot rods so I find it a fascinating read, I certainly learn not only about period perfect hot rods but your a great builder too, so many ideas !

I quoted Ace -garageguy because he's another builder similar to you, someone that really knows about these cars and how they should go together ! 

Looking forward to more on this, and your other builds too !