Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 39 Fordor Sedan

alan barton

I had a good session on the bench over Easter and finally got this one done.  I did the bodywork and paint around 10 years ago and then it just stalled - I can't even remember the reason.  A slot racing friend gave me the frame from a Revell 40 coupe and it is a perfect fit under the AMT, in case you were wondering. The Windsor powerplant is AMT, 66 Fairlane I think but can't be sure.

The body was converted to a four door by cutting the B pillar from a spare body and fitting it as well as moving the original B pillar forward to suit the smaller doors of a four door. The 40 dash was converted to right hand drive and painted along with the body - I have since worked out how to scratchbuild a 39 dash but I am sticking with the 40 on this one - hey, the owner liked 40 dashes!

The AMT interior is fairly plane so I used some Evergreen half round strip to add a bit of sculpturing to the door panels.  The front and rear seats are from the AMT 57 Fairlane kit - they took very little massaging to fit the tub and I think they suit the style of this car - this is meant to be a current day, contemporary street rod, not a 50's nostalgia version. Something you could comfortably drive across Australia in!

Hope you enjoy this conversion.  Four doors are far more common in Australia than 2 doors so it fits my Aussie collection quite well. 

I figured someone would spot the wheels, Jay!  It's just a quirk of mine.  I only have  a limited number of my favourite wheels, and also I like the effect different wheels can have on a rod.  So, when I'm building low fat fendered rods or fifties and sixties classics, I sometimes run different wheels on each side. By changing the direction of the front row of my display cabinet, I have a whole new collection to show off! (And it never ceases to amaze me how many people do nit notice!!!!!)

I wouldn't dream of doing it on a hiboy for example.

And mike 51, right is right!

Cheers

Alan

Nice job. It's neat to see conversions like this. I'm impressed. Only one negative point. 1939 Fords, at least the ones sold in the States, did not have door vent wings. '39 still had crank out windshields instead. At the same time I have no right to throw rocks at this one. Because I'm working on an AMT '39/'40 Tudor Sedan, that I'll be building as a '39 with vent wings too.

Scott

Darn, missed that!  I was aware of the '39 having a chrome windshield frame as distinct from the fixed, rubber edged screen in a forty.  Removed the wipers for that reason. I have several more 39/40s in the  works so I will keep that info in mind for those versions. Glad you all like it!

Cheers

Alan

Nice job. It's neat to see conversions like this. I'm impressed. Only one negative point. 1939 Fords, at least the ones sold in the States, did not have door vent wings. '39 still had crank out windshields instead. At the same time I have no right to throw rocks at this one. Because I'm working on an AMT '39/'40 Tudor Sedan, that I'll be building as a '39 with vent wings too.

Scott

Which explains why the 1939 wipers are on the top of the windshield.

Very nice result. Interestingly, to my eyes it's a toss-up between the chrome reversed rims and whitewalls and the Torq-Thrusts with blackwalls.. Both yield a strong, compelling look, but create a very different overall effect. I wanted to ask you about how you did the chassis conversion. Presumably you're using the AMT fender assembly. When I started one several years ago I found I had to remove the much of the inner fender wells and cross-wise structure. Because my build also was to be one without running boards the resulting piece was very fragile. Can you share your experiences with us. The Rveelll street rod '40 Ford chassis is such a niece piece that successfully adapting it to AMT bodies would be great! BTW, your Fordor  conversion looks super-nice!

Impressive! Not too many RHD Aussie 4-door '39 Fords on this site, so this is very refreshing to see, for a change. Just goes to show that more-doors can be every bit as cool as their coupe and sedan counterparts. 4-doors are common in Canada, too....I guess we were all too cheap and practical to buy the fancy versions, haha.