Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 40 Ford Coupe

FordRodnKustom

Here's my latest build, finished up this morning.

It's done as a vintage original issue box/instruction art build. This is the first kit I remember ever having and is without a doubt my all time favorite. That picture of the competition coupe on the instruction sheet set the hook deep and for good. Neither side is 100% faithful to the art as some compromises had to be made. Overall a fun build and it looks good in with my growing collection of these type of builds.

DSC04891-vi.jpg

40coupe7_25_17-vi.jpg

I know this type of build is considered very simplistic by some and not worthy of a second look but they sure are fun to do and very satisfying to see finished.....at least for me! 

Thanks for looking. Comments and discussion always welcome and invited.

Edited by FordRodnKustom

I sure does look good as I'm really liking it.  Love the stance and that paint is a thing of beauty.  Well done!  I have fond memories of this kit as well, as a kid I built one painted in Sapphire Blue with black fenders/boards.  I actually still have most of it, boxed up and hidden somewhere in the stash.

Really nicely done, and there is nothing wrong with going simple. 

A simple build, wheel done, and as clean as this one, is way better than building a model full of added detail and aftermarket stuff to take attention off of the basic modeling practices that were ignored, like sanding mold lines, filling seams between parts, fixing sink marks and leaving sand marks to show trough the paint, just to name a few I've seen on many superdetailed builds.

Thumbs UP!!  

It's beautiful Ron.  Nothing wrong with simplicity, building and finishing these kits when we were kids has to be a factor in so many of us still enjoying the hobby.   Very nice work...what black paint did you use and is it rubbed or buffed?

Outstanding build. As you mentioned it isn't 100% as to the box picture, but it sure captures the Look that AMT had on the box. I agree these are great kits when new and rather simplified compared to the latest offerings but they just look right when finished.