Model Cars Magazine Forum

32 Five Window - Traditional Style

Tyler62990

Here's one I've been working on off and on for a little while. The base for this one was the Revell 32 Five Window. The front suspension and engine were sourced from the Revell 29 Roadster. Surprisingly enough, with the relocation of the motor mounts and some trimming here and there, most of these parts fit pretty well. The only hang up I had was mounting the engine a bit too high, leading to the down tubes on the exhaust not fitting at all, but two pieces of solder and a little bending solved that pretty quick. The fenders and stock firewall come from the Stacey David Rat Roaster. The grill is a lightly modified piece from a 37 Ford pickup. In my decently sized parts box, I couldn't find any steel wheels that would work for me. I settled on some spare Caddy caps from a 49 Merc kit, which I ended up being pretty happy with after all. The rear slicks are AMT parts pack pieces. The distributor was drilled and wired, and the carbs were plumbed. I don't know if it's entirely accurate, but I wasn't sure how six carbs with a front mounted fuel pump are fed, so a distribution block was added to feed the two fuel rails. The carbs in the kit appear to have molded in linkage, so I just glued a piece of wire in to connect them and called it a day. The last little touch was to get rid of the rear that came with the kit and swap in a quick change from a Paddy Wagon kit. The is Ford Toreador Red Metallic over a Torch Red base, topped off with Testors Wet Look. Thanks for looking!

IMG_20170920_053731716.jpg

IMG_20170920_053751981.jpg

IMG_20170920_053843200.jpg

IMG_20170920_053906045.jpg

IMG_20170920_054147538.jpg

IMG_20170920_054237817.jpg

IMG_20170920_053516356.jpg

IMG_20170920_053552022.jpg

IMG_20170920_053650653.jpg

IMG_20170920_053717280.jpg

I really like the overall look. The paint is outstanding. The contrast if the green colored Buick engine and the red body makes you really notice the engine. Your question on the fuel delivery system is that it was done many different ways way back when. The way you went with the fuel rails is probably the neatest and most practical. Some times they would mount a single fuel block on the firewall and run clear fuel lines to each carb. That may be were the term firewall came from.  With six carbs. it would have been common to use an electric fuel pump because of the additional fuel pressure required to feed all the carbs. The factory mechanical fuel pumps of that era usually had around 10 lbs. max. pressure and that wouldn't have been enough.  I wouldn't sweat the small stuff, the model looks great as is.  

Gorgeous! Great parts-sourcing; everything looks bang-on for the era too.

I'm a bit confused as to why the caddy caps appear to be rust-spotted but the rest is so clean...but it doesn't bother me that much.

The nailhead looks just right in that engine bay...and the truck grille is an eccentric touch that gives the car some real personality. It looks like it could have been in Hot Rod or any of the other car mags back in the day. Striking paint job too!

Excellent work :)

Between the color, the '37 grill, the fenders, the hubcaps and the un-chopped highboy look, it's really evocative of the "little pages" era ('56-'62) of highly finished street rods. I especially like the careful detailing you put in to the engine area. Really fine modeling all around. We often see efforts at presenting "traditional" hot rod models, but rarely do we see such a creative assortment of parts come together this successfully.

• 3 weeks later...

Gorgeous! Great parts-sourcing; everything looks bang-on for the era too.

I'm a bit confused as to why the caddy caps appear to be rust-spotted but the rest is so clean...but it doesn't bother me that much.

The nailhead looks just right in that engine bay...and the truck grille is an eccentric touch that gives the car some real personality. It looks like it could have been in Hot Rod or any of the other car mags back in the day. Striking paint job too!

Excellent work :)

Thank you! The caps were leftovers from my first attempt at toning down kit chrome using Tamiya Smoke. I remember the can sputtering and leaving that nice blotchy pattern you see here. It's a lot harder to see in person, a little easier to see on my phone, and plain as day here. I'll have to switch them out the next time I crack open a Merc kit.

Between the color, the '37 grill, the fenders, the hubcaps and the un-chopped highboy look, it's really evocative of the "little pages" era ('56-'62) of highly finished street rods. I especially like the careful detailing you put in to the engine area. Really fine modeling all around. We often see efforts at presenting "traditional" hot rod models, but rarely do we see such a creative assortment of parts come together this successfully.

Couldn't have said it better, Brother!  Great looking build with just the right touch of east coast hot rodding from the '50's!!  A good build comes from the box... a great build comes from many boxes!!!  Choosing the right parts and building every component as if it were a model in itself creates an even greater build.  Awesome job! -KK