Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius future kit prototypes from November, 2017 NNL Motor City...

tim boyd

... It'll be nice to have another Chevy six available from this era instead of having to raid the Trumpeter kit for one, or the AMT '60 Chevy kit.

Slightly off topic here, but I've about resigned myself to the necessity of making good molds and duplicating some of the parts that are hard to come by. I've bought quite literally hundreds of kits, and in many cases many multiples of the same kit, just to get particular parts. I think it's time to start manufacturing my own, rather than continuing to load up the shelves with kits I'll probably never use just to get an axle here or a set of wheels there or an engine somewhere else.

Revell's and AMT's parts-packs went a long way to fill some of the available-separately component gaps, but AMT's line hasn't changed much since the 1960s (though I'm very happy to have theirs in production again) and Revell doesn't even bother anymore.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Slightly off topic here, but I've about resigned myself to the necessity of making good molds and duplicating some of the parts that are hard to come by. I've bought quite literally hundreds of kits, and in many cases many multiples of the same kit, just to get particular parts. I think it's time to start manufacturing my own, rather than continuing to load up the shelves with kits I'll probably never use just to get an axle here or a set of wheels there or an engine somewhere else.

I hear ya Bill! Just yesterday, I had delivered to my place a starter resin casting set. There are times when I needed a particular part, but I hate like heck to raid a kit just for that part. If I can cast it, then I'll always have it when necessary, and not needlessly rob a kit of parts that may be needed in case the fancy strikes to build it.

Some poo-poo the idea of vendors on eBay doing just that-----parting out kits for hoods, wheels etc. I've got parts very recently (I got just the rear end out of a Bronco), and it saved me a ton of money from having to buy an entire kit, and then it sits for the next 20 years untouched and never built.

Edited by MrObsessive

As I've stated in the new thread on this same subject started today, I would rather see something new in the big rig line up from Moebius. The only car Moebius has produced that remotely has any interest for me was the original issue of the Hudson Hornet, and that is the only Moebius car kit in my collection, everything else in the car lineup is boring to me. Their big rig kits I have multiples of each of them. 

For those of you who are commenting on the body contours of the mock-ups of the Nova and Chevy II

Please NOTE those mock-ups have been reviewed and a list of corrections have been sent to the factory. 

We don't grow a second full set of mock-ups for corrections to be made after we see them. Ususally we review mock-ups and send a list of corrections that are made to 3D files.  On occasion we may do grow parts a second time. In the case of the nova / Chevy II we just made corrections in 3D files. We chose to show the mock-ups becaus it's pretty difficult to display the 3D file

I appreciate the critiques but think you all should know that those mock-ups are NOT the final product. more like an intermediate step to a final item.

For those of you who are commenting on the body contours of the mock-ups of the Nova and Chevy II

Please NOTE those mock-ups have been reviewed and a list of corrections have been sent to the factory. 

We don't grow a second full set of mock-ups for corrections to be made after we see them. Ususally we review mock-ups and send a list of corrections that are made to 3D files.  On occasion we may do grow parts a second time. In the case of the nova / Chevy II we just made corrections in 3D files. We chose to show the mock-ups becaus it's pretty difficult to display the 3D file

I appreciate the critiques but think you all should know that those mock-ups are NOT the final product. more like an intermediate step to a final item.

I like the fact that you are offering these kits in the first place. As I have said before, NO model kit is perfect. I don't mind refining a model kit, as I think it separates the "men from the boys", but some glaring mistakes in proportion, unless necessary for tooling, or economics, is not good. Some comments I see on this board are not important to me, but a lot I see, I agree with. My observation as a customer of several Mobieus kits is, please offer some different sized tires in these kits. The tires in the '65 Cyclone scale out too big. They look good, but they are huge in comparison with the tires on my '64 Comet Caliente. Both cars ran 14" tires when the car was equipped with a V8 engine. I have a couple of suggestions: Get your hands on the AMT kits of a '62-3 Nova, and a '63 Ford Pickup to compare your tool with. While they are ancient, they do a fine job of capturing the subject. If the bodies of the new kits look anywhere as good as the old kits, I'll be singing from the rooftops. I can not wait for these, and thank you!!! By the way, I'll have one or two of the new "61 Catalina kits for my collection when they are available to me.

Tim (or anyone else), will the Chevy II's include a six cylinder (particularly the '64) engine? It'll be nice to have another Chevy six available from this era instead of having to raid the Trumpeter kit for one, or the AMT '60 Chevy kit.

Seeing as how 1964 saw the introduction of a V8 option for Chevy II's, this kit will be a V8 car.

Art

Nice. Not my thing, but nice.

Agree some things need fixing/refining, but we shouldn't do much other than contact Moebius with POLITE suggestions.

I do like the 66, and 64-66 can be done, as well as 4wd, looks like 64-65 Nova can be hardtop, post, and convertible, maybe wagon but diff wb IIRC. Nice effort. Looks far better than Trumpeter thing. 

Cool surprise for many.

Actually, there are two Chevy II's, a hardtop, and a 2dr post gasser (it should be possible to kitbash the 2dr in to a stock version by using the Nova chassis, dash and steering wheel, but the rest of the stock interior would have to be scratched up by the builder.  As for the F-100's will be 1965 and 66 only, and for two reasons:  First of all, the chassis that was used 1969-72 debuted in 1965, with the introduction of the Twin I-beam front suspension, and second. 1965 saw the introduction of styleside beds that were no longer built in the unibody fashion.  In addition the short wheelbase '65 will be offered with a flareside bed at some point (that tooling mockup was shown at Detroit/

Art

Regarding the flareside box; a little closer research will reveal that no '53-'72 short flareside box ever had the middle stake pocket that shows up on that prototype in the picture. Fwiw, '64 was actually the year that the styleside box in the newer configuration was introduced to replace the '57-'60 boxes used on non-unibody '61-'63 trucks. 

mike

65frdshtbx.png

64frdf1bx.jpg

Edited by mk11

The very idea of scribing in all those door lines--and in the roof pillars too--makes my brain hurt. So if they come out with a wagon, I'll buy at least one. 

That's one of the reasons my Boss Nova is still sitting on the stash waiting for a builder...:P But, some day it will be done.;)

We don't, normally, grow a second full set of mock-ups for corrections to be made after we see them. Usually we review mock-ups and send a list of corrections that are made to 3D files.  On occasion we may do grow parts a second time. In the case of the nova / Chevy II we just made corrections in 3D files. We chose to show the mock-ups because it's pretty difficult to display the 3D file

I appreciate the critiques but think you all should know that those mock-ups are NOT the final product. For us a mock up is more like an intermediate step to a final item.

As for the stake pocket on the step side bed we know it doesn't belong there - once again these are product development mock-ups not finished items.

THESE ARE MOCK-UPS the whole purpose of mock ups is for us to see the model in a form we can pick up in a 1/25 size and see in an actual 3 dimensional form. We have sent notes with  numerous corrections to all the mock-ups we showed yesterday to our factories. In the case of the Chevy II kits corrections have been made and they are ready to tool

In the case of the F100's we are waiting for a revised mock-up cab to arrive for a final review as there are some shape issues we wanted to see corrected in the actual part before we move ahead.

Those of you who are commenting on these things as if they are the final product are barking up the wrong tree and need to just chill for a while.

For those of you who want a delivery date, I have some disappointing news there are no release dates for any of those items. Tooling has not started on any of them yet. We will announce release dates when we have something much closer to finished.. As I explained to everybody who asked that question yesterday - best possible scenario IF we started tooling tomorrow would be a minimum of 9 months before we had something we could put in a kit box.SO best case for any of those items would be late 3rd quarter 2018.

We don't even know which version of the Chevy II or 65/66 F100 will be released first at this date the whole purpose of showing them yesterday was to give a little peek at  FUTURE products to our end customers.

Art, Moebius can get a ‘64 from the new F100 tooling, if they want. That was not a unibody truck, but they did have an I-beam front suspension...

The I-beam was, in fact, not introduced til '65

THESE ARE MOCK-UPS the whole purpose of mock ups is for us to see the model in a form we can pick up in a 1/25 size and see in an actual 3 dimensional form. We have sent notes with  numerous corrections to all the mock-ups we showed yesterday to our factories.

In the case of the F100's we are waiting for a revised mock-up cab to arrive for a final review as there are some shape issues we wanted to see corrected in the actual part before we move ahead.

Those of you who are commenting on these things as if they are the final product are barking up the wrong tree and need to just chill for a while.

That is understood, Dave, but the 'end users' that will be contemplating the purchase of one or more of these items when they hit the market want to be reassured that concerns they have regarding shape and proportion issues seen in the mock-ups will be addressed. You've mentioned the cab and the stake pocket now, which is good, but we won't know unless the questions get asked and answered. As in, for instance, this pic showing what appears to be a slight imbalance of proportion in the box side; is it being reviewed as well?...

perhaps a dumb question ...

Issues setting an unfortunate precedent in a previous subject release had me wound up.

some actual measuring on my own truck and comparing proportions shows it to be fairly close.

66frdmbsptyp.jpg

Edited by mk11