Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to Crash-Land an Airplane

Snake45

If you absolutely HAVE to land a classic Piper twin gear-up, I doubt you could do any better than this guy. I don't think I could ride my bicycle down the runway centerline any straighter than he held it. 

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Small-Airplane-Landing-Gear-Problems-St-Marys-County-Regional-Airport-458899813.html

That was about 30 miles from me. Very minimal damage to the plane and the guy gets out, stuffs his hands in his pockets and walks away.

Been thinking, he must have been a local. He flew around for more than an hour burning off gas. If that weren't his home base, he could have possibly made it home to crash. Or, if not home, he should have been able to get to Hagerstown, where there's a first-class A&P shop, which would be a good place to prang, if you have to. I'd lay an even-money bet that St. Mary's is his homedrome. 

That was about 30 miles from me. Very minimal damage to the plane and the guy gets out, stuffs his hands in his pockets and walks away.

Friend of mine on another board--might be a neighbor of yours--says the airplane is in fact based at that field. 

Another friend commented that he has his hands in his pockets to help support the weight of big brass ones.B):lol:

You can tell by his approach he is not rattled at all and knows what he's doing. Difficult to set down a small craft that gently with the wheels down, notice how he killed the engines right away to save them and the props. Then he walks away like that's the way he always come in.   

Very competent pilot. It takes some real calm to remember to shut down the engines in a situation like that.

Gear-up landings in private planes aren't all that uncommon, especially in Beechcraft Bonanzas where the gear and flap levers were reversed somewhere during production (I've forgotten when).

Anyway, some people I used to work with made a ton of money buying insurance-writeoff Bonanzas that had bellied in and rebuilding them. Lotsa times.  B)

Must be malware attached to that article. My malware program won't let it open.

Sounds like an incompatibility with your particular program. I've posted this on five different boards and no one else has complained about malware, or even said that they couldn't see it. 

On 22/11/2017 at 4:22 PM, espo said:

You can tell by his approach he is not rattled at all and knows what he's doing. Difficult to set down a small craft that gently with the wheels down, notice how he killed the engines right away to save them and the props. Then he walks away like that's the way he always come in.   

I noticed that!

What he did just before landing where you can see the nose tilt up is called a "flare". We learn to do this piloting gliders. For good pilots, especially those who got their first training in non-powered aircraft, this is second-nature. I must say however, that was one of the most perfect final and flares I've seen. :D

Edited by Draggon