Model Cars Magazine Forum

2018 Cannonball Run

Jantrix

Well guys I have decided to build this thing. It is going to look like the Ariel atom...... I hope. 

It is a VW bug frame, independent from mustang suspension, Acura I4 engine, Camaro rims and tires and a lot of other stuff from the parts box.

if it is not considered street legal just let me know. 

14C44CF8-7568-4E3C-BE6D-9D4F96B0D64D.jpeg

58CFA99A-512B-4CDB-99F9-2D825DFFAB09.png

So, I decided that I'm in on this Cannonball build. However, I wanted to do something different, but still me. So, here it is with a Cumins Inline 6. At this point the plan is to build something the Cops would not want to stop, like a Septic Truck or maybe a Forest Service brush fire truck. Either will have a hidden fuel tank inside the Fake tank, this way it will have the range and no need to stop for fuel. Maybe an extra Turbo or 2 will get the speed up. 

IMG_0213.jpg

13 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

So, I decided that I'm in on this Cannonball build. However, I wanted to do something different, but still me. So, here it is with a Cumins Inline 6. At this point the plan is to build something the Cops would not want to stop, like a Septic Truck or maybe a Forest Service brush fire truck. Either will have a hidden fuel tank inside the Fake tank, this way it will have the range and no need to stop for fuel. Maybe an extra Turbo or 2 will get the speed up. 

IMG_0213.jpg

"a Septic Truck" now that's fantastic! and original as is gets! LOL Great idea!

Loving all the progress guys!!! Awesome new builds too! The turbo septic  truck is awesome!!! 

Progress on my Soviet Silvia has been non existant, Ive been given a pre-production sample of the new Tamiya SF70H to build for my local Hobby shop, tried to have it done by yesterday to no avail, hope to finish it off this week so i can get cracking on my silvia!

Keep up the good work guys!

On 3/24/2018 at 8:22 AM, landman said:

That looks lovely like this. Can't wait to see the new and improved version.

Pat, your likely to be disappointed a bit. The new verison isn't nearly so flashy. Pics this afternoon.

I've very happy to see the new faces and excellent ingenuity going on here.

A note on street legal. The rule for the Cannonball has always been simple, headligts, tail lights, and a licence plate. Now if someday someone builds something so alien that no one with a brain would believe it could be titled for street use, we may have to revisit the rule. So far, so good. I see no issues with the new builds suggested. Carry on.

Edited by Jantrix

Updated photos on the Willys. A relocation of the intercooler to the firewall, to take advantgae of the vent in the hood, prompted a redesign of the intake. Rather than a scratch intake, I'm using the stock intake. I'll fabricate a throttle body to go in place of the carb and a fuel rail on the intake runners. More soon.

27157477978_a20d4e8281_z.jpg

41028698141_941c3a3114_z.jpg

40319985834_c25bda4fff_z.jpg

41028700451_f771b2fda6_z.jpg

Now that the L9000 and Caddy are done I'm back on the Mustang again. I got the rear fender wells built and the back of the interior finished. Now if I can find some seats that fit I'll be in business. It ought not be too much longer before I can get some paint on this thing.

20180326_182417.thumb.jpg.869afdb85271e97a86f97e8859dd8c26.jpg20180326_182439.thumb.jpg.098d3f30d577d3590ebccf028f2adc4b.jpg

22 minutes ago, Belugawrx said:

Cale, that two seater should be a contender, I really hope it doesn't rain, or snow

Thanks. I have already thought about modifying a soft to from a 69 corvette but the open sides will still be a problem.

@Jantrix I would like it if you could change my entire to the VW Trackrat

A3C063B0-5D91-48CE-AFB6-BF5312CBCA9F.jpeg

On 3/26/2018 at 9:28 PM, 426 pack said:

Thanks. I have already thought about modifying a soft to from a 69 corvette but the open sides will still be a problem.

@Jantrix I would like it if you could change my entire to the VW Trackrat

A3C063B0-5D91-48CE-AFB6-BF5312CBCA9F.jpeg

Cale pick up a for sale, for rent or a garage sale sign as they are very thin plastic. Easy to cut to fit your open areas between the tubing. 

Edited by 1930fordpickup
missed a word.

I was just having a nice and simple fun build, I was almost ready for paint even, and them HE came. I swear I couldn't stop him Doc, he just kept cutting and cutting! Now there's parts and pieces everywhere and all this mess to be cleaned up. You believe me don't you Doc, you know I'm not crazy, right? It's him, it's always him I tell ya!

I was looking for modern paint styles to fit the look I wanted and saw a build done to a Mustang II I couldn't pass up so out came the knife and here we are. I took the wheel arches from a 2010 Mustang and replaced the existing ones. In doing so I also moved the rear wheels back about 1/8th of an inch, I also moved the front wheels forward about 3/8 of an inch adding about a foot to the wheelbase in total. Of course this will necessitate rebuilding the rear wheel wells I just finished and relocating the rear suspension but sacrifices had to be made. I'm also going to have to change the oil pan from front sump to rear sump to accommodate moving the front suspension that far forward. I'm also going to radically redesign the engine too, because why not just redo everything, right?

20180331_095307.thumb.jpg.e2a7a4c198281277b81d62c5694eea8a.jpg

1 hour ago, Belugawrx said:

...exactly ...

Really liking the new look Brian

Thanks, when I saw the real car there was no way I couldn't attempt something like it. I'm not going to copy it exactly but use it for inspiration. Here's a pic of the real one.

1978-ford-mustang-passenger-side-view.jpg.75f3af1ae1e5794c45f524c75661984f.jpg