Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Phanton -Foose build -update 2/11/18

Rocking Rodney Rat

Alright, alright, alright....I haven't been posting or lurking much lately. Been super busy...KK and I ventured west to the City of Angels (Orange County to be precise, but you can smell LA from there and that's close enough) the other weekend, January 26-28 to be exact, to hang with our pal ADL (Dennis Lacy) and attend the Grand National Roaster Show at the Ponoma Fairplex. Wild time was had by all. In addition to the show we got to tour five (!!!) hot rod shops while we were out there. We hung out with the Rolling Bones guys and went on their garage tour to see some AMAZING historic cars, met celebrities such as Bruce Meyer (of Meyer's Manx fame), Dennis Varni, Gary Schroeder (of the steering box company) and others.... We stopped by the Brookville Roadster Company booth at the show. They make steel versions of Ford cars. Their latest is a Chip Foose designed phaeton they are dubbing the Phanton (phantom Pheaton). Only 32 of the real cars are being made and I just had build one more in 1/25th scale....IMG_2847.thumb.jpg.74f93aa7cce138a07036f3f6a9f73f91.jpg do it in scale. 

As you can see, it's a roadster cowl, with 3 window doors and a wagon rear end. No problem, just drag out these three Revell bodies....

IMG_2894.thumb.jpg.8689a660a7419a51aded789b16bbcce3.jpg

Next choose the pieces of the three needed to make the Phanton....

IMG_2871.thumb.jpg.46c9660dc46e5a4a7f8d1b8b9e0543d0.jpg

Now drag out the Sawzall and start hacking....

IMG_2881.thumb.jpg.fda4423759be9ea68c1e6af9d8190cfc.jpgIMG_2882.thumb.jpg.a6698869d56d540182eae6acfee6e16b.jpgIMG_2884.thumb.jpg.1a4232287561b0917d70ec66549a8728.jpg

Now put the pieces all together like this....

IMG_2887.thumb.jpg.42a5bf4e12be41087c2d86adc003ddfd.jpg

The body came out an RCH short so the firewall didn't quite snug up to the body and sat a bit high. I cut off a skoshe (these are all technical terms here)  on the top of the interior tub's toe board (from the sedan version of the kit) and then added a .020" strip around the back edge of the firewall where it meets the cowl. There, I fixed it.  

IMG_2890.thumb.jpg.6f997e2deaca98bdce2d3f812d267217.jpg

You can see where the firewall doesn't quite line up here. The rest of the build will pretty much be out of the various Revell '32 kits. I'm using the blown SBC from the Rat Roaster kit. Fenderless. The ragtop from the Revell '30 A Phaeton will be modified to fit.....

That's where I am today.... -RRR

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat

RRR - That looks real good - I saw the prototype in bare metal and wanted to build one in scale.  My project was held up by a case of knowing too much and that brain blocked looking at the other available scale options... All of the metal is sections from tooling for existing Brookville bodies - If I remember correctly, the rear of the body is from a roadster pickup cab - which is not available in scale.   The roadster quarters that were used on the prototype extend past the wheel openings - could see where it was welded in bare metal.  I like your solution, it's looking great. will be watching.   

Yeah, I guess you're right, all the pieces are from existing tooling...gladly in scale, too!!! The rest of the build is pretty much straight forward pieces from the existing kits. The sedan interior tub as well as side panels pretty much dropped in. I ended up using the Rat Roaster roadster body and chopped windshield. It is a completely different body than the original roadster body. I will be using the rat roaster dash as well....Figuring out engine mounts now, for the Rat Roaster blown SBC (block hugger headers from the Revell '37 will be used). I did mock up the blower belt assembly with the front cover/water pump etc and it does fit lengthwise in the engine compartment.  More to follow.... -RRR

Slowly working on the tub and doing lots of little stuff that's not too exciting or picture worthy, getting the interior side panels to fit and rescribing the rear door lines on them, engine mounts, cutting down the airbags so the rear axle sits lower, stuff like that... Since the body was a skoshe (I believe that's a metric measurement) short, the hood and sides need to be lengthened that amount. Fitment is better than the pic would indicate...IMG_2897.thumb.jpg.db61b87777919c3cecf2ce5ecd107b15.jpg

I'm using an SBC so the block hugger headers from the Revell '37 cabriolet are being putv to use.....exhaust system all one piece, not sure I've ever done this before... IMG_2906.thumb.jpg.d9fafb09d6b93250194b7ad0fd8b7e6b.jpg

Today I started on the ragtop which was sourced from the Revell '30 Model 'A' pheaton. Some cutting and gluing going on...much more to be done here but I have a fairly good start on it...the triangle shaped side curtain needs to be worked on, seams will receive half-round Evergreen pieces... -RRR

IMG_2912.jpg

• 2 weeks later...