Model Cars Magazine Forum

adhesive for BMF for sale, and I know why

7 hours ago, fiatboy said:

I opened a new package of BMF chrome and it will not stick to the painted plastic surface.  I was using acrylic.  Any comments?  Thanks

You have this every so often with that product. Also sometimes it won't come off the backing without falling apart. That's why I don't use it anymore. 

13 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Store brand aluminum foil is thin enough to use in combination with foil adhesive. 

Yup. Now, there are a few very tight or very delicate jobs that BMF does better, but I find that the homemade stuff is at least as good as BMF 90-95% of the time. And in a few cases, I think it's actually preferable.

Where did you buy your BMF?

I keep seeing people talking about these terrible issues with BMF, and I just can't relate.

I've been using BMF for possibly 30+ years, (and a lot of it) and I can't remember one time where there were adhesive problems with it unless it had been laying around my shop for a decade!

On occasion, I will get a sheet that begins to crack, but that can usually be worked around.

I guess kitchen foil could be used for straight flat stretches of trim, but good luck using it for anything with any compound curves in it.

Steve

I've never had problems with the adhesion except for when using it on flat paint, it needs a shiny surface to stick to. The only kind that cracked on me was the "ultra bright chrome", that stuff was too thin and couldn't be pulled off the paper without it falling apart but I don't think they make that kind anymore 

2 hours ago, John Pol said:

what glue do you use for the foil to get it to stick

48 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

"what glue do you use for the foil to get it to  stick"

X2 ?

You can use Microscale MI-8 Micro Metal Foil Adhesive

Image result for microscale metal foil adhesive

About four bucks for a bottle. Or, you can use Gator Glue, available in regular and thin blends

Image result for gator glue

Image result for gator glue

It's essentially PVA, similar to Elmer's Glue but with a different formulation. All three products are water soluble, making cleanup of any excess easy.

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Where did you buy your BMF?

I keep seeing people talking about these terrible issues with BMF, and I just can't relate.

I've been using BMF for possibly 30+ years, (and a lot of it) and I can't remember one time where there were adhesive problems with it unless it had been laying around my shop for a decade!

On occasion, I will get a sheet that begins to crack, but that can usually be worked around.

I guess kitchen foil could be used for straight flat stretches of trim, but good luck using it for anything with any compound curves in it.

Steve

I'm glad you've had such good luck with BMF. There's only one place within an hour of me that sells it, 40-45 minutes away, so it's a big PITA to return a bad sheet, and if I did, the replacement sheet is likely to have come from the same lot.

I agree that kitchen foil doesn't work well for compound curves, but most of my foil work is simple curves (90-95%). And even some compound curves can be "broken down" into more-or-less simple ones with a little thought. But I've already conceded that BMF will do SOME things that kitchen foil just can't.

BTW, I use the Micro Metal Foil Adhesive. A bottle lasts a long time and goes a long way. I don't think it's thin "Elmer's Glue" at all--it's tacky when dry, which is what you want. Never tried the Gorilla Glue stuff at all, but I'll pick that up next time I see it and give it a shot. I don't think the MMFA is water soluble, but it DOES clean up with rubbing alcohol. I'll try to remember to see if water cleans it up as well.

Edited by Snake45

8 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

You can use Microscale MI-8 Micro Metal Foil Adhesive

Image result for microscale metal foil adhesive

It's essentially PVA, similar to Elmer's Glue but with a different formulation. All three products are water soluble, making cleanup of any excess easy.

Okay, I just tested a leftover scrap from yesterday. It might be water-soluble before cure, but water definitely did NOT take the dry stuff off the foil. Though, as I said, rubbing alcohol readily does. 

I suspect the stuff is something you could pay $5 for a huge bottle of in a craft store, like maybe gold leaf sizing or something, but I haven't found what that is yet. But even at $4 for the little bottle, it's a bargain compared to $8 a sheet or whatever BMF is selling for these days. 

9 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I'm glad you've had such good luck with BMF. There's only one place within an hour of me that sells it, 40-45 minutes away, so it's a big PITA to return a bad sheet, and if I did, the replacement sheet is likely to have come from the same lot.

That could be part of your problem.

If the place that you're buying it doesn't sell a lot of it, it might be old stock.

In the past 5 or 6 years, I've bought at least 6 or 8 sheets of BMF from Model Roundup with each one being perfect.

The last sheet that I bought that I had the cracking issue with was bought at a LHS.

I'm not sure what to make of that, but I am very comfortable buying foil from Model Roundup.

And knowing their track record, returning & replacing a bad sheet would be a simple transaction if ever needed.

9 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I agree that kitchen foil doesn't work well for compound curves, but most of my foil work is simple curves (90-95%). And even some compound curves can be "broken down" into more-or-less simple ones with a little thought. But I've already conceded that BMF will do SOME things that kitchen foil just can't.

I understand Snake.

I just want to make certain that a potential layman understands that something as simple as a door handle is going to be a real PITA with kitchen foil.

Steve

6 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Microscale Metal Foil Adhesive was spirit-based years ago. It was reformulated as a water-based product. You can also use Mona Lisa Metal Leaf Adhesive.

I'm using a bottle I bought from Sprue Bros maybe 6 months ago, not more than a year. 

Good to know about the Mona Lisa Metal Leaf Adhesive. I'll keep an eye open for that. B)

6 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I just want to make certain that a potential layman understands that something as simple as a door handle is going to be a real PITA with kitchen foil.

To avoid agita when attempting to foil door handles, cough up the gelt and get cast silver ones from OwencraftThey're swell.

HANDLE3.JPG HANDLE4.JPG HANDLE1.JPG

25 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

To avoid agita when attempting to foil door handles, cough up the gelt and get cast silver ones from OwencraftThey're swell.

Never seen those before.

I know Chief Joseph makes some great ones too.

But I only use the door handles as an example.

Rarely do I build a kit, (short of something light on chrome trim like a late 60s muscle car) that doesn't have at least one section or another that gives me fits to foil with BMF, let alone kitchen foil.

Steve

I've only ever had one sheet of BMF not stick well, and it was a brand new sheet of Ultra Bright. My local hobby shop had just got it in, so no issues with it sitting in his shop too long.

I set it aside and used a much older, partial sheet that i found in my desk. Worked like a charm....

I ended up going back to the new sheet and toughed it out. No problems once it finally stuck, though I found wiping things down with rubbing alcohol immediately beforehand worked well. There were a few places where i handled the foiled areas excessively, so I coated the foil with Future. 

9 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

A door handle isn't a "simple" foil job. Small, but not simple. I'll just do those in Molotow or Silver Sharpie. 

16 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

You should post a video of that on YouTube. I'm sure it would go viral.   :D

I wouldn't mind doing some YouTube postings on occasion, but unfortunately, I don't have a digital camera or even a smart phone to record a video to post.

Living "old school" poses some limitations. :)

Steve