Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Chevy 150 Utility Sedan

ATHU

Very nice clean looking build. If you ever go ahead with your 6 Cylinder build you might check some of Revell's truck kits as some offered the 6 cylinder engine you would need including the correct air cleaner. I have also thought of such a build but just haven't gotten around to it.

5 hours ago, ATHU said:

Calling this one done. Built as a Utility Sedan which means no back seat. OOB except for a wired distributor.

It has the FI 283 V8 but I'd love to build a 150 with the Blue Flame 235 I6 in it.

Really nice job on that. I love the clean looks of the base models. How did you get that texture on the seats?

FYI. The Revell '41 Chevy pickup kit has a 216 straight 6 cyl in it.

Edited by NOBLNG

Nice Chevy 150, looks great.

As far as I know, the last time I checked, the only kit with the correct 6 cyl. engine is the AMT 1960 Chevy pickup. The air cleaner is not correct for the passenger car but the engine itself is the correct one. The engine first used in 1955 I believe.

Edited by Bill J

Thank you very much for the kind words guys. Much appreciated!!

Also a big thank you for the tips regarding the 6 cyl engine, I will definitely look further into that!!

22 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

How did you get that texture on the seats?

The kit (Revell) comes with decals for the seats and door panels.

Sweet looking build, that one must have been a real sleeper back in the day. The only things that gives the game away is the V on the hood and trunk, the FI emblems and twin tailpipes. I have for years wanted to build a tri-five the way they would have been sold here in Norway back in the day. That means a 4 door sedan (or 2 door as this) with I6, 3 speed manual and usually in singeltone color like black or some sober earth color (dark green or grey or dark blue or similar).

9 hours ago, Bill J said:

Nice Chevy 150, looks great.

As far as I know, the last time I checked, the only kit with the correct 6 cyl. engine is the AMT 1960 Chevy pickup. The air cleaner is not correct for the passenger car but the engine itself is the correct one. The engine first used in 1955 I believe.

Nicely done model!

Ken Kitchen --- Kitchen Table Resin makes the correct air cleaner.  I bought a couple of them.  If you do put a six in a '57, find reference photos. The radiator is positioned differently. 

I once owned a 1956 2 door sedan with a six and powerglide.  

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Nicely done model!

Ken Kitchen --- Kitchen Table Resin makes the correct air cleaner.  I bought a couple of them.  If you do put a six in a '57, find reference photos. The radiator is positioned differently. 

I once owned a 1956 2 door sedan with a six and powerglide.  

What Tom said is correct, the radiator is in front of the radiator wall and the top hose inlet is in a different position also, on the six cylinder cars..

Edited by Bill J

Very well done, especially the interior!

Just some observations (not criticisms)...

• Did the kit have the rubber bullets in the front bumper molded in? The 150 Utility Sedan was the lowest price of all models, and it seems contradictory to have the optional bullets yet dog-dish hubcaps, blackwall tires, etc.
  • If you decide to build another version with a 6-holer, be aware of the differences between the 1953 (and older) versions and the 1954 (and up) sixes. To me, the absolute easiest way to tell is by looking at the valve cover. Prior to 1954, the cover was held in place by using two studs that came up through the center; 1954 and newer valve covers were held in place by four bolts (two per side) on the bottom flange of the cover.
  • The earlier comments regarding the location of the radiator are correct: for a V8, the radiator was mounted behind the radiator bracket; owing to the inline 6 being a longer engine, the radiator was mounted in front of the bracket.