Model Cars Magazine Forum

I just finished up this build of a little tractor I've been working on for a little over a month now. This is the Ferguson TE20 kit by Heller. Aside from a few head scratching moments, this kit was an absolute joy to build. I'm usually not a fan of poseable steering, but I decided to do it this way to add interest to a diorama I have in the works. I'm not sure if they're designed to do this, but I just kept breaking them free as the glue set up, so it was simple enough to accomplish lol. Anyway, this kit has some flaws that actually end up benefiting it in the long run, IMHO. For example, the hood pin set up that would make the hood functional seems like a physical impossibility. After closer inspection, if one did manage to get the hood to tilt, it would still hide a great amount of engine detail. I left mine removable to avoid this. The second problem is the headlights/work light are molded solid. Decals are provided, but they just looked horrible to my eyes. Some quick work with a dremel and a bit of 5 Second Fix glue yielded results that I can live with. The only other issue I had was one of the bars for the 3 point hitch just would not fit for me. I've seen it used on other builds of this kit, so undoubtedly I'm just doing something wrong as usual. After two nights of frustration, I decided to rig up a chain setup to replace the bar, which to be honest, I kind of like better anyway. One little thing that I couldn't live with was the lack of exhaust detail, so some simple clamps were made using strips cut from a beer can and some hex rod. Aside from your basic wiring and plumbing, that's about it for the modifications. The paint is a mix of Rustoleum, Testors, and Duplicolor products, all weathered using the salting method. The mud on the tires is a homemade mix of craft acrylics and, get this, pancake batter lol. Well, that's about it. Thanks for looking guys! 

(Also, I know I have to flip the one tire around. Don't worry, it's driving me nuts too)

Ferguson14.jpg

Ferguson13.jpg

Ferguson12.jpg

Ferguson11.jpg

Ferguson10.jpg

Ferguson9.jpg

Ferguson8.jpg

Ferguson7.jpg

Ferguson6.jpg

Ferguson5.jpg

Ferguson4.jpg

Ferguson3.jpg

Ferguson2.jpg

Ferguson1.jpg

Ferguson15.jpg

Ferguson16.jpg

Ferguson17.jpg

The longer I look at your build all of the little details start to unfold. Beside the great Patina finish everything looks like a Tractor that has seen some real hard service. I like the Grass/Hay inside the fenders.

That looks absolutely fantastic, brilliant work, and the pickup too, its the first time I have looked on this part of the forum, i'm from the truck building end but I will definitely be back, looks like there is lots to learn, brings back memories too, first thing I ever drove with an engine.

All the best Keith   

You have really captured the real thing on this one!! Your weathering is spot on! I don't own a Ferguson, but I did restore a Massey Harris that I had several years ago, and your weathering almost matches the way it looked before I restored it to a T. Excellent work!!

• 4 weeks later...