Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is your phone tracking you ?

espo

My preference is a good old folding paper map and the trails we use are not on any GPS. Another thing is the time line of getting the text months later ?  I think based on the information shared here by so many,  we are under far more surveillance than we can ever imagen.      

38 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

I couldn't imagine turning off Google Maps...it's one of the most useful apps on my phone, I use it more than the nav system in Jeep. 

I turned off all google trackers (what good it will do??) and installed Waze which from what I understand is less invasive. Do what you can.

Just now, Dave Van said:

I turned off all google trackers (what good it will do??) and installed Waze which from what I understand is less invasive. Do what you can.

I use Waze also, but find Google Maps to be the best overall for navigation.   I really don't care if Apple, Facebook, Google, etc know my location..

I'm OK with my phone tracking where I go. I also get it when I order something on line (usually Amazon) and then the adds start popping up on our computers and phones. What is really weird is when we TALK about something (not asking echo to put it on the shopping list) and THAT starts popping up. It may be a coincidence, but it has happened more than once. Smart TV? Echo? Kinda creepy.

32 minutes ago, Scott Colmer said:

What is really weird is when we TALK about something (not asking echo to put it on the shopping list) and THAT starts popping up. It may be a coincidence, but it has happened more than once. Smart TV? Echo? Kinda creepy.

You are not the first I've heard mention this. Nor the second, nor the third. :blink:

35 minutes ago, Scott Colmer said:

I'm OK with my phone tracking where I go. I also get it when I order something on line (usually Amazon) and then the adds start popping up on our computers and phones. What is really weird is when we TALK about something (not asking echo to put it on the shopping list) and THAT starts popping up. It may be a coincidence, but it has happened more than once. Smart TV? Echo? Kinda creepy.

All-knowing intrusiveness is all around us, all the time now. There simply is no such thing as privacy, and we've willingly let it happen. I've had items I've mentioned in emails...but have NEVER looked at online...start popping up. If Google is reading my mail, even if it is only an inanimate algorithm, I really do NOT like it.

Look around online. There are other instances of smartphones that have apparently been listening to people's private conversations...even when the phones were supposedly turned off.

As much dirty business as comes out fairly regularly, do you really think we're privy to EVERYTHING big tech is doing behind the scenes and behind our backs?

Think again.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

23 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

As much dirty business as comes out fairly regularly, do you really think we're privy to EVERYTHING big tech is doing behind the scenes and behind our backs?

Think again.

As a friend of mine likes to say, "Anyone who isn't paranoid simply isn't paying attention." :lol:

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

You are not the first I've heard mention this. Nor the second, nor the third. :blink:

This was happening to my friend last year, I was thinking it was because of his brain surgery to remove a tumor that he was thinking like I do.  I do not want a tv hooked to the net my cell phone is enough tracking on me. 

Perhaps if people got buried with their smartphones some afterlife or paranormal activity could be detected. A proof would be Amazon deliveries to grave sites. Might even be able to track where their soul went so popup ads could be sent there. I wouldn't be surprised if odor detection finds it's way into near future smartphones and we start getting soap and deodorant ads.

Put it in your will to keep your Paypal account open just in case.

On 1/5/2019 at 11:21 PM, Snake45 said:

As a friend of mine likes to say, "Anyone who isn't paranoid simply isn't paying attention." :lol:

There is another possibility: they just simply don't care or mind that they are tracked. Some people's reasoning is that "they are doing nothing wrong, so they don't mind being monitored".  I know people like that.

I'm in the "it really doesn't matter" camp. None of us are that important that anyone would bother spying on us!  :lol:

Between our cell phones,  EZPass, the computer in our car and the millions of cameras out there we are being tracked. No doubt about it.  There's nothing you can do about it.  There are even cameras on highways that record the license plate number of every car that passes.  There's so much data being recorded that it would be improbable to analyse it all.  Most of it is only accessed when there is a need for specific information.

A few years ago my wife's cousin drove off a highway and down into a gully. Her car was obscured by forest. She was unconscious.  GM's  On Star program sensed the crash, made the 911 call and directed emergency responders to the car's location. 

My daughters have tracking software on their phones to keep tabs on each other.  They did this when they were two single young girls living together.  It gave them peace of mind.

Summer of 2017, not 5 miles from my house in Pennsylvania,  there was a road rage incident where a shooter killed a young girl.  From a nearby traffic camera they figured out they were looking for a small red Chevy pickup, and what exit it took off the highway.  The police appealed to the general public, asking people and businesses to check their security camera footage.  Nobody screamed "That's my private information!", everyone helped and soon enough they were able to track the route and location of the truck.  They ran the state database of gun licenses for a specific hand gun against red Chevy pickups and they got the guy!

Yea, I'm happy we have all this technology.  

Edited by Tom Geiger

38 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

...Yea, I'm happy we have all this technology.  

And I'm not. Not at all.

For every dirtbag that gets caught, there are millions of law-abiding citizens minding their own business, but they're living in a virtual fishbowl.

I value my PRIVACY almost as much as I value my FREEDOM, and the concepts are intimately related.

Abuses of data are common, and will be increasingly common.

Trading freedom for muddily perceived "security" is not a good bargain in my book.

9 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

And I'm not. Not at all.

For every dirtbag that gets caught, there are millions of law-abiding citizens minding their own business, but they're living in a virtual fishbowl.

I value my PRIVACY almost as much as I value my FREEDOM, and the concepts are intimately related.

Abuses of data are common, and will be increasingly common.

Trading freedom for muddily perceived "security" is not a good bargain in my book.

X2.

In my opinion this is the cost of people actually believing that things are free.  Have a problem - there's an app for that and its free and on and on it goes.  Obviously, the phones are not free, but most everything people use on them can be.  Google loves offering all or most of its services for free because they know people will sign up by the droves and they get all of the data.  Well nothing is free, and in the case of all of this "free" stuff, it's our freedoms that we lose.  They need the data so they can sell it in order to recoup the development cost and then make money.

Well it happened again today. I stopped at an appointment this morning and left the phone in the car. When I came back out I checked for any messages and up pops a note that it will take me 33 min. to get home from there. I wasn't going home at that time, but it still seems strange that the Blankety Blankety phone is telling me were to go.