Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 308 with a story

Kruzn

This Ferrari 308 was a simple build, basically box stock except for lowered suspension. However, it does have a bit of a story!

For some odd reason, the site isn't allowing me to add much text or more pics. I'll try reposting as replies to my post. Please stand by...

0221190825.jpg

Edited by Kruzn

I'm going to try posting it in parts....annoying...

I worked for Hobbico for 29 years (right up the the bankruptcy last year). During that time as a Product Manager, I launched the Hobbico Model Maker brand (this was before Hobbico bought Revell). My goal for that line was to offer accessories and supplies for scale model building. We had a line of sanding/polishing products as well as some airbrushes and compressors. I was also repsonsible for the creation and development of the Model Maker Custom Cases in 1/24-1/25 and 1/18 scale. If you remember those, they came with a selection of printed background and baseplate inserts. They also incorportated provisions to add optional accessories such as road signs, battery box and lighted items such as show lights, under-car lights, street lights and gas pumps. This system allowed the buyer to create a simple "diorama" setting with little effort and low cost, making the display cases more interesting than plain clear boxes.

Unfortunately the line suffered from lack of marketing and promotion even with my repeated  efforts to convince management to spend more to promote the line. When Hobbico bought Revell, I suggested that we move all of the Model Maker products under the Revell brand since it had much better name recognition. Most of the Model Maker line did not survive except for a few items. One of those was the 1/24-1/25 Custom Case, but the optional accessories were no longer available. The boxart remained the same with just a simple change from the Model Maker logo to Revell.

My Ferrari entered the story as it was used for the main box photo.

44 minutes ago, Hard_2_Handle_454 said:

Stopped at a pizza place on the other side of Charlotte and the owner used one as a pizza delivery car.

[...]

That's funny, have given thought to making a pizza sign for the car, and put it on whatever exotic I get built.

Nice looking model!

16 hours ago, Kruzn said:

0221190826_HDR.jpg.3bc785c2f939cc300e2b5f766efb3798.jpg

This is a happy-sad story, but still an interesting one!!….I've always loved that yellow Ferrari on the box...as well as wondered why it was a customized one just for advertising a display case. The Ferrari looks GREAT!!, thanks for sharing its story!!

2 hours ago, geetee66 said:

That's a gorgeous looking car. Interesting to learn about diorama display cases. Shame they never took off.

56 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

This is a happy-sad story, but still an interesting one!!….I've always loved that yellow Ferrari on the box...as well as wondered why it was a customized one just for advertising a display case. The Ferrari looks GREAT!!, thanks for sharing its story!!

Thanks guys! Yes, it was a shame that the cases never really took off. I tried my best to convince management that the only way the Model Maker line would be successful was to promote it heavily, but they would not commit to the necessary funds to do so. When the 1/24-1/25 case was moved under the Revell brand, they deleted all of the baseplate and background panels except for one each. Originally there were three different backgrounds and three baseplates plus a small under-car mirror in each case.

This photo shows the checkered base plate, mirrored background, and under-car mirror. It also shows the optional floor lights and lighted gas pump. Also available were optional adjustable show lights and road signs with assorted stickers. The lighted items were powered by a AAA battery box that snapped under the base and could be combined with a 110V wall adapter. jumper cords were available to daisy-chain multiple cases  to one wall adapter.

The model shown is Danbury Mint's excellant diecast Ala Kart.

0129190958b.jpg.deca9c75782653cb98b4c15a27299fda.jpg

0129190959.jpg.5a5c9abb5f9f78ddc7f094ee2f0681dc.jpg

Edited by Kruzn

5 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Love 308s for some reason and that one looks great.

I assume it's this kit without the flares and decals?

Yes, I left off the flares and front bumper. I only did detail painting. The molded-in yellow finish was very nice, did not even use clearcoat.

Edited by Kruzn

Great looking model, and I purchased several of the Custom Cases and find it interesting that you were so involved in them. A 308 pizza delivery car. That would be when you know you're  paying to much for a pizza.  When these cars were first were brought to market we used to call the "Doctor Killers". Seems the only people who could afford them at the time were Doctors with limited driving abilities.