Model Cars Magazine Forum

best beginner amt truck model

2 hours ago, Constructiongeek said:

um hi construction geek and im wondering what would be the best amt truck model to start out with

Are you wanting a highway tractor or a 1/2 ton? The only truck I've built is a Revell '65 Chevy stepside...nice kit. 

Edited by NOBLNG

Most of the AMT semi kits are old toolings, late sixties to early seventies, some of the parts fit a little vague and there is a lot of truing up and filling to do. They're good kits but it takes some effort to get the frame straight and aligned correctly and there is just generally a lot of cleanup to do. Personally I would recommend either the Revell snap Peterbilt or Kenworth or the AMT Mack DM600 that's out now. The Revell kits build up well and and let you dip your toes in the heavy truck modeling world without totally drowning you. The DM600 is a full build kit but is a generation or so ahead of the AMT kits originally being an MPC kit. The parts are crisper and the fit locations are clearer. 

Do a bit of research on whatever kit you pick and feel free to visit us in the truck section, there are lots of knowledgeable folks there who can help you out.

The Best AMT Truck kit?  As Brian said, AMT Heavy Truck kits are sloppy, ill fitting Kludge. Great subject matter, but the multi-piece chassis, and vague parts fit and cab mountings, will turn off a new builder in a heartbeat. The tooling on the AMT kits is just not up to modern expectations.

I'd start with either the Revell Pete and Kenworth that he mentioned, or an Italeri truck kit. The have better tooling.. Note that because of size and complexity, ALL Big Rig kits are more hassle than a car or pickup. Just the nature of the Beast, IMHO. So there is more test fitting and puzzling things out than there is on your average "Tamigawa" kit. Take it slowly, and take a break when things get tough. Put it down for a couple days, and then come back to it. Many times this will help you get a better idea of how something should be solved.

Hope This Helps.

For AMT truck models I think the Kenworth K100 Aerodyne is the latest as the kits from that tooling came 1979-80 and should be less difficult to build than most of the other AMT truck kits wich are much older, the T600 kits are issued later (1990)  but they are based on the old W925 kit from 1971 and are a bit more challenging.
Most truck kits has multi piece frames and separate suspensions, and the Italeri kits has multi piece cabs so if you want to build an easy truck kit I would go for the Revell (former Monogram) Kenworth W900 Aerodyne or Peterbilt 359 snap/glue kits, they are cheap and easy to find and quite easy to build so they are good start kits.

10 hours ago, Constructiongeek said:

you know something on the subreddit r/modelmakers they hate amt as much as a unsaveable gluebomb model

Yeah, it's fun to dump on things online and the reddit demographic skews a lot younger than here, some builders aren't used to ancient beasts like the AMT kits. The kits aren't BAD, they're just difficult when compared to newer offerings and come with their own unique challenges. All can be built into very nice finished products as long as you spend the time to get each assembly straight and lined up correctly. 

25 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

All can be built into very nice finished products as long as you spend the time to get each assembly straight and lined up correctly. 

True This!

I like the AMT kits, but recognize that for today's noobs they may not be a good Choice.

21 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

Yeah, it's fun to dump on things online and the reddit demographic skews a lot younger than here, some builders aren't used to ancient beasts like the AMT kits. The kits aren't BAD, they're just difficult when compared to newer offerings and come with their own unique challenges. All can be built into very nice finished products as long as you spend the time to get each assembly straight and lined up correctly. 

No they are not bad at all, just a bit more challenging.
I built my first AMT truck kit as a teenager and managed quite well considered my skills at the time...I got it together with a square frame and all wheels on the ground.

Edited by Force

I built a couple of the Peterbuilt 359s and don't remember any issues going together.

such as =

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1970s-AMT-Peterbilt-359-California-Hauler-plastic-model-kit-unopened/254187362351?epid=1601429384&hash=item3b2ebf582f:g:IBUAAOSwJ8hcpKT1:sc:USPSPriority!85641!US!-1

I would actually like to find one of these, but I'm not interested in paying this kind of money for one.

s-l1600.jpg

10 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

I built a couple of the Peterbuilt 359s and don't remember any issues going together.

such as =

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1970s-AMT-Peterbilt-359-California-Hauler-plastic-model-kit-unopened/254187362351?epid=1601429384&hash=item3b2ebf582f:g:IBUAAOSwJ8hcpKT1:sc:USPSPriority!85641!US!-1

I would actually like to find one of these, but I'm not interested in paying this kind of money for one.

s-l1600.jpg

I recently built this truck, and as Bill stated, it goes together nice. But there is a lot of flash on the parts. 

I normally don’t build trucks, but will definitely build some more. It’s a nice change when you get into a rut with the car kits. 

415C8CB5-E601-4164-BC80-833F540CDFF0.jpeg

Eventhough it's actually an Ertl kit, I'd say without a doubt the Transtar series of trucks are a good start. The 4300's are still easy to get, and not at bad prices. The instructions have check off boxes, and are very easy to follow.

On 5/26/2019 at 5:20 PM, ranma said:

Eventhough it's actually an Ertl kit, I'd say without a doubt the Transtar series of trucks are a good start. The 4300's are still easy to get, and not at bad prices. The instructions have check off boxes, and are very easy to follow.

I agree 100%! The Ertl kits were and still are the best to assemble.

Although I do still like the old AMT kits too. They require a little more patience though.

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71

I always buy the old AMT truck kits and enjoy them. But there are moments why I put myself through this torture. I like the California Hauler quite a bit. The White Freightliner cab over never got finished for me. 

On 5/26/2019 at 4:20 PM, ranma said:

Correct me if i don't have this correct -- I had heard that since the 4300 used the 4270 mold (different hood length for the 4300) that the front axle needed to be relocated a bit to get the front wheels to center in the wheel opening of the front fenders ?  

On 5/22/2019 at 12:57 PM, NOBLNG said:

Are you wanting a highway tractor or a 1/2 ton? The only truck I've built is a Revell '65 Chevy stepside...nice kit. 

This is EXACTLY why this section needs to go back to the way it used to be FOR HEAVY COMMERCIAL ONLY!! 

Any AMT rig kit can be built to fantastic results, just takes time and patience. Sure, the instructions can be a bit vague, and there is a lot of flash removal, and sanding , but, it’s a model, and most current AMT kits are made from 50 year old molds ( even when new, there were issues, I have many first issue kits that have less than perfect molds), but the subject matter is so cool, it’s worth dealing with. i will say that the freightliner is a tougher kit to master, only due to the multi part cab, but even that can shine with some , ok, a lot of work. Pick what you like, and have at it, as they say, you only get out what you put in . 

21 hours ago, Goodwrench3 said:

that since the 4300 used the 4270 mold (different hood length for the 4300) that the front axle needed to be relocated

The hood being lengthed changed only the length behind the wheel well which pushed the cab back. The only other changes were the head lights,front bumper. new engine, added sleeper,and Hendriks walking beam rear. the frame was the same as issued used on the 4200 kit. Back dating a 4300 to the 4200 would require the air ride rear, shortening the hood and reshaping the headlight holes. Part's would have to come from either the 4070 a, First issued copy of the Transtar II, headlights from a paystar 5000 kit, and hood badges from a 4270 kit (4200).... The front axle was off on the 4270 (4200) as well , But that is a easy fix to make. If a person wanted to all that would need to be done to the 4300 would be shorten the hood, and find the 4200 badges Since the 1:1 looked the same as the 4300. One could also add a little more length to the 4300 hood and covert to a 4370.

Edited by ranma

On 2019-05-22 at 6:57 PM, NOBLNG said:

On 2019-05-22 at 9:09 PM, Constructiongeek said:

I’m actually looking for a highway tractor but thanks for the suggestions. I actually want to get into building 1:25 scale Since I also collect 1:50 scale construction Equipment 

15 hours ago, highway said:

This is EXACTLY why this section needs to go back to the way it used to be FOR HEAVY COMMERCIAL ONLY!! 

For me a truck is a heavy commercial tractor...a pickup is a pickup and I don't ever call them truck.

:):):)

On 5/23/2019 at 10:38 AM, Force said:

Most truck kits has multi piece frames and separate suspensions, and the Italeri kits has multi piece cabs so if you want to build an easy truck kit I would go for the Revell (former Monogram) Kenworth W900 Aerodyne or Peterbilt 359 snap/glue kits, they are cheap and easy to find and quite easy to build so they are good start kits.

Have to agree...…  These "snap" kits have all kinds of potential, are only as complex as YOU choose to make them, and, if you dig around thru the MANY builds in the "Under Glass" section, you'll see what some of the forum's great builders have done with these!!!!   (Not to mention, if you have a Hobby Lobby close by, you can save 40%!!!!!)

DJ

• 3 weeks later...

this post might give me some grief, but i have found in general, that revell kits are better than amt in fit and detail.

obviously, this is not 100% accurate all the time, but in general. I am saying this because you mentioned AMT, and i figured why not revell?