Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Ford F250 Service Truck

This is, of course, the Moebius '65 kit. I swapped the grille for a '66, and swapped in the straight six and three speed from that kit as well just for kicks. I visually converted it to a 3/4 ton with Scenes Unlimited wheels. I also used Scenes Unlimited mud and snow tires on the back. The front hubcaps are in the kit, and were used to complete the 3/4 ton visual conversion. even though they're one generation too new for a '66. My dad's old '66 had a set of C8UA-1130-A caps added later, so it was something that could have happened if the original caps were lost. The "Ted Nelson Plumbing and Heating" graphics are taken from one of Tom Servo's jokes on the MST3K episode highlighting The Incredible Melting Man. I also used a 1977 Michigan tag as a nod to the year of that movie's release. I also threw together a ladder rack from 2mm styrene strip just for fun. 

IMG_8497.thumb.JPG.d96c2fd9a205997360d372a8dc20cc4c.JPGIMG_8498.thumb.JPG.a12a91c1ca9da8d27e73d56002397ea7.JPGIMG_8499.thumb.JPG.7ac0fddca9c5a21191abf12e260cddbc.JPGIMG_8500.thumb.JPG.bad1005a88fa2f57bf93cf7321b6e5c5.JPG

Edited by Chuck Most

Very realistic looking utility truck. Seen hundreds just like it.  Many were indeed 3/4 tons and base models with white grills and bumpers!  Later model wheel and tire swaps are common on this vintage of truck because many originally came with 2 piece rims which require tubes.

On 6/30/2019 at 3:45 PM, leafsprings said:

Later model wheel and tire swaps are common on this vintage of truck because many originally came with 2 piece rims which require tubes.

Don't know how I forgot that when I still have two of the two piece wheels from Dad's '66. ?

I was wondering earlier today when we would see one of these trucks built and BAM! Chuck to the rescue! Nice job, love the updates and the ladder rack is a nice touch.

Thanks for the inspiration Chuck, gotta get my butt building!

I've driven trucks like this. 3/4 ton with the 6. Old, slow and beat up, they soldiered on into the early 2000's. Even now, I still see a few on the road, and more sitting forgotten in the side yards and back lots of farms and oil companies around town. In many ways this build represents the "Real American Truck". Purchased with no options and the baseline motor, thrashed from the first day, they worked & worked until they just flat wore out. These are the "Invisible Trucks".

Great Tribute, Chuck!