Model Cars Magazine Forum

Flocking questions

I need the experts on flocking to chime in here.

I don't go super crazy when detailing my builds, but I almost always add carpet. i have a few bags of the Detail Master flocking in various colours. 

I find that the black is never an issue, and always lays down perfectly. 

However, the grey and the tan ALWAYS come out blotchy, or they don't stick properly.

I use the same technique. White glue and a little water mixed together, brushed onto the painted surface, flocking liberally applied, patted down, then after 10 min or so, the excess is shaken off.

As I said, the black always has perfect coverage and looks great, greys and tans are always an issue. Always, without fail.

i haven't tried my red yet, but will be soon.

Anyone else experience this? 

Any tips?

Thanks!

You might consider using a simple strainer to put the flocking in and then tap the side of it as you spread it over the floor area. This tends to make the flocking material just a little finer and it spreads in a more even manor. The same would hold true for embossing powder. 

Edited by espo

9 minutes ago, espo said:

You might consider using a simple strainer to put the flocking in and then tap the side of it as you spread it over the floor area. This tends to make the flocking material just a little finer and it spreads in a more even manor. The same would hold true for embossing powder. 

Oh yeah, I do use a strainer to distribute the flocking.  :)

Will have to do a search for embossing powder, give that a try. 

I'll echo what Steve said. Flocking has its place, but IMO it's better suited for larger scales for the reasons you mentioned. It can come out clunky/splotchy looking but David's tip is a good one. Still, the fuzziness of flocking still seems a bit out of scale to my eyes for 1/24-25th scale.

Here are a couple pics of models I did with the red embossing powder. You can get this in all sorts of colors and it has just the right texture that can be seen in carpets like 1:1's for example.

image.png.918c7a41bb61c542b5c8040d4fd5f0f5.png
image.png.f1f90511c1e459b0738d1836e45ef163.png

Here's the brand of embossing powder I use. You can check your local arts and crafts shop, or they're all over the place on eBay.

image.png.84e2f2ba4063714ebe29a938069ea8a1.png

Hope this helps! ?

Just now, iamsuperdan said:

Oh yeah, I do use a strainer to distribute the flocking.  :)

Will have to do a search for embossing powder, give that a try. 

I'm about 50 - 50 on the powder by still like the flocking. The biggest problem I have had with the flocking, besides it having a lot of static electricity and getting everywhere, is the Elmer's Glue sometimes pealing off during final assembly.  

I use the same "slightly thinned Elmer's glue" method for the embossing powder.

I never bother with any sort of strainer or shaker.

I just dump it on and shake it around over a piece of newspaper so that the excess can be returned to the jar for later use.

A couple of nice advantages of embossing powder are the ability to mix colors, and the ability to paint over it.

I like the metallic embossing powder set that I bought several years ago.

I believe it gives a nice "salt and pepper" appearance to the carpet.

It might be a little too much for some, and I guess a lot depends on the vintage of the car you're building, but it comes in solid colors as well.

If you don't have a matching color for your project, it can easily be sprayed over with the color of your choice.

The powder can also be mixed to achieve the color you desire.

The '65 Plymouth floor pan pictured above is a combination of blue and green metallic embossing powders.

Steve

image.thumb.jpeg.917700ab428054c45719eb3cac7fc430.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2c083f0be60002194147148aa12ff191.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.58285321e324a33d9e9833907a5fc026.jpeg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

The wet paint idea sounds like it would make since.  On the recovery of the extra "carpeting" regardless of application process. I have used a business folder like you would find in an office hanging file cabinet. After doing the application using the folder to catch any extra material the folder can easily be partially closed and act as a funnel to pour the material back into the container. The folder can be used over and over.  

32 minutes ago, espo said:

The wet paint idea sounds like it would make since.  On the recovery of the extra "carpeting" regardless of application process. I have used a business folder like you would find in an office hanging file cabinet. After doing the application using the folder to catch any extra material the folder can easily be partially closed and act as a funnel to pour the material back into the container. The folder can be used over and over.  

You can do the same thing with any paper.

I use newspaper.

Just crease it down the middle before you start work, and the crease becomes your funnel in the end.

I suppose you could save it to use over, but it's just newspaper, so I toss it.

Steve

Another vote for flocking with embossing powder. So simple to apply and get excellent results. I paint the parts beforehand roughly the colour I intend to do the carpeting, though that step may be unnecessary. Once dry, I apply a thin coat of Elmer's white glue (unthinned) with a paint brush, then shake on a liberal coat of the embossing powder using cobraman's salt shaker trick. I roll the interior bucket around to distribute the powder, ensuring good coverage. I usually work on smaller areas at a time, maybe 1/4 of the floor area, etc. and the application is seamless.

I use future for adhesive and baking soda for the carpet. To me, the baking soda has the best in scale appearance and I can paint it whatever color I want. If I happen to mess up (hasn't happened yet), I can remove it with glass cleaner and start over.

2 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I use future for adhesive and baking soda for the carpet. To me, the baking soda has the best in scale appearance and I can paint it whatever color I want. If I happen to mess up (hasn't happened yet), I can remove it with glass cleaner and start over.

Interesting combo. Have you got a pic of the results?

I have a bunch of Ken's Fuzzy Fur I've been going through.  Have some embossing powder I plan to try once the shop "reopens".  I have used another technique a couple of times on closed top cars where the floor is barely visible.  That is to use textured spray paint.  It gives the impression of a tight nap carpet and, with floor mats (I make mine), can be realistic. 

What I do depends on vehicle and the nap of the carpeting.  I try to get as close as possible.

2 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Interesting combo. Have you got a pic of the results?

This is the most recent that I have photos of. The rest are in Photobucket.  I've only done 3 or four with future. What I like about the future is I get more consistent results. With the glue method, I would get thick and thin spots. What I like about the baking soda is virtually no buildup which is nice when doing the bottom of door panels.

44784266420_94b1f41a52_b.jpg

One thing to keep in mind is that while using a spray paint or spray adhesive may work well with today's modern kit "platform style" interior floors, it doesn't work quite so well with a tub interior.

It may require a lot more masking than most guys are going to want to attempt.

Even if you're carpeting other parts like door panels, seat backs, console sides, etc, spray adhesives and spray paint can be far more trouble than it's worth.

Just an observation to keep in mind what kind of configuration you're dealing with.

Steve