Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Oldsmobile 442 W-30

StevenGuthmiller

Thanks everybody!

28 minutes ago, Nazz said:
  1. Hi Steve, vey nice air filter element! One thing, I can hear Mrs. Nazz asking, who's going to see it.

At some point this model will most likely be displayed at a couple of shows.

I wanted to be able to display it without the large and cumbersome cold air intake system to highlight engine detail if I chose to.

While I was in that process, I thought, "why not go ahead and build in another option and make the top of the air cleaner removable to add some interest and allow viewing of the carb without removing the entire induction system.

Well, as you can guess, I couldn't have a removable air cleaner lid without a filter. :P

Most likely I will display this model for a portion of the show with everything intact and then begin removing parts as the show progresses.

Something akin to an "automotive strip tease" if you will. :lol:

Steve

42 minutes ago, Nazz said:
  1.  I would like to know how you made the dome light.

The base is just a slice of plastic tubing that I sanded the edge of to make a beveled edge.

The lens is a short piece of clear sprue that I sanded slightly to replicate a frosted lens.

The base will be finished with Alclad chrome, and the lens then inserted into the center.

Steve

Sorry Steven, I forgot to add the lol at the end of my Air filter element. My answer to my Mrs in that I know it is there when I do things like that. I  add such details to please myself, although  not to the quality that you do. The dome light seams so obvious  now that you explained it. Thanks.

17 minutes ago, Nazz said:

Sorry Steven, I forgot to add the lol at the end of my Air filter element. My answer to my Mrs in that I know it is there when I do things like that. I  add such details to please myself, although  not to the quality that you do. The dome light seams so obvious  now that you explained it. Thanks.

Actually Jerry, I think that you did add the "LOL". ;)

Regardless, I thought that the question deserved an explanation anyway.

Steve

3 hours ago, oldnslow said:

Any plans for gas or brake lines and emergency brake cables ?

Nope.

I like to focus most of my attention on the body, engine and interior.

I can't get myself to spend too much time on the chassis.

Been there, done that. :)

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Impressed with how clean your build is!  Like the windshield mounting system, I try to work out something on some builds, covers some sins of the original kit, and adds a bunch of eye candy where it's missing.  I have a VW Bus that needs it, multiple times, yikes.

14 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Nope.

I like to focus most of my attention on the body, engine and interior.

I can't get myself to spend too much time on the chassis.

Been there, done that. :)

Steve

Same, same. I generally don't get too worked up over the chassis on any car modeler, so tend to spend very little time on them at all

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Same, same. I generally don't get too worked up over the chassis on any car modeler, so tend to spend very little time on them at all

I'll add a few details here and there, but the last thing that I want to happen is for the chassis to become a "rabbit hole" that I can't get out of.

I have that tendency on occasion. <_<

Steve

4 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I'll add a few details here and there, but the last thing that I want to happen is for the chassis to become a "rabbit hole" that I can't get out of.

Steve

Been down that hole myself, actually  working my way out of a couple of those right now. This build  is really amazing! The end is near.

28 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

I absolutely understand that, Steve. For the most part, I have little to no interest in wheel wells of aircraft models. On the rare occasion that I do decide to dress them up, the references images seem to provide an almost limitless amount of "correct" details to add, and I soon feel rather bogged down by it all, only to take it to a show and realize that nobody knows the difference anyway,... or cares.

I got the engine in place a couple of days ago, so today I believe I got the engine bay nearly finished up by installing the radiator, upper and lower radiator hoses, heater hoses and battery cables.

I also finished up some small detail painting on the body and got the sun visors and dome light installed.

I believe the glass will go into the body next.

image.jpeg.dd48d5267f8f7b5cd56007268db96496.jpeg

image.jpeg.14fbdab904aa30d8096e5fcac5f5eeb1.jpeg

image.jpeg.48f4930f2245e5d694371d3ae7d1d663.jpeg

image.jpeg.8ead87086b27c1390b2f4fca8cd5f77b.jpeg

Steve

I have never seen anything like this before and am in total awe! Absolutely amazing!! Every pic you have shown looks like a real 1/1 car. Being a Olds guy I see things on the engine that I seem to remember removing and replacing on a 1/1 Olds. It's that realistic.  Steve, you are a true artist... 

14 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

This has been a great tutorial, and your observations on what to spend time on, or not, has been really helpful.

I haven't quite yet acquired 'the eye' for car detail, so can get flummoxed at what needs attention most to make a model auto really pop. 

I spent many years studying reference material on WW 2 tanks, whereas my car knowledge is still in it's elementary stage. 

4 hours ago, Greg Rogers said:

I have never seen anything like this before and am in total awe! Absolutely amazing!! Every pic you have shown looks like a real 1/1 car. Being a Olds guy I see things on the engine that I seem to remember removing and replacing on a 1/1 Olds. It's that realistic.  Steve, you are a true artist... 

I appreciate that Greg!

Everything that I know about the '68 Olds 442 I learned from google! :D

I don't get everything when researching, but I do my best.

Steve

4 hours ago, Wm David Green said:

This has been a great tutorial, and your observations on what to spend time on, or not, has been really helpful.

I haven't quite yet acquired 'the eye' for car detail, so can get flummoxed at what needs attention most to make a model auto really pop. 

I spent many years studying reference material on WW 2 tanks, whereas my car knowledge is still in it's elementary stage. 

Thank you David!

I have to confess that I am no car expert by any stretch of the imagination, and I really don't know any more about a particular car, such as this 442, than you do.

As a matter of fact, I don't recall ever seeing a '68 W-30 Olds in person in my entire life!

When I begin a project, I start by looking at photographs on line.

I'm not an information "wonk" so I'm not the type of guy who collects massive amounts of literature and photos to be certain that everything is exact.

A few good pics and a little info is good enough for me.

When I get to a certain aspect of the project that I'm not sure about, and it's something that I feel garners extra attention, and is unique to the particular car that I am working on, I will do a quick Google search for photos of that particular item and use them as my reference.

A forum such as this one is instrumental as well to gathering information for a project.

If you post your project in a build thread such as this, people will inevitably offer facts and tips to help you reach your goal.

In general, I try to find some good photos and look them over.

Things that are obvious and jump out at me are things that I will try to incorporate into the build if possible and practical.

I never strive to get every detail exactly correct and it's not always practical to try to include every detail.

The overall picture is my goal.

If it looks relatively close to the photos that I am working from, I'm happy.

Steve 

Today I've been working on the headlight, grille and front bumper assembly.

I drilled out the molded in headlights way back before I had the chrome parts re-plated.

Today I modified some custom head light buckets from the AMT '62 Buick kit to fit the Olds bezels and glued them in place.

With the buckets in place, the grille insert had to be cut apart to fit around the buckets which now protruded from the back of the grille/bumper.

Then the grille was added.

I had already painted the black area around the head lights and the argent area around the grille several days ago.

All that is needed now to finish is to install the lenses.

I have gotten to the point now where final assembly is approaching very quickly!

I hope to have this one finished within the next week or two! ;)

image.jpeg.0a929608b75305fd610ebded81b0e64b.jpeg

image.jpeg.8c4c0bc5b89505b0bfe9a56657b5d23a.jpeg

image.jpeg.865e2f869fbff32bb3743e51c44c19da.jpeg

Steve

18 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Really nice work Steve!  You make it look easy...but I know there’s a lot of work on every piece you complete!

Thanks Jim!

Things are moving along pretty well today.

I finished up the front bumper assembly by adding the head light lenses.

image.jpeg.ec7053038d9cd6c277256bc4975306ca.jpeg

image.jpeg.4dd9e7dea51386795ec1173bfa38ef54.jpeg

image.jpeg.9ffa593d772d8d026d29f18fe7587614.jpeg

I also got the glass in place, a rear view mirror added and then proceeded to mate the interior tub, firewall and chassis to the body.

A last minute addition of a steering gear box was also finished.

Wheels are next!

image.jpeg.9e47051b50177918d5acff7dc8f5d1b4.jpeg

image.jpeg.38d7cefa4056c8b24d939efc2c05cd69.jpeg

image.jpeg.2d5ef884eaca418f8cdc387e4ea3c836.jpeg

Steve