Model Cars Magazine Forum

Barry Fadden has passed away

I am sorry to be the bearer of sad news, but long time Classic Plastic model club member and Model Cars forum contributor Barry Fadden (Streetrod) has passed away.

He was a prolific and masterful modeler who willingly shared his expertise and vision with anyone who asked. He was also a very warm and funny man and will be sorely missed at our club.

He went quickly and painlessly in his model room, at his request, at 72 years of age. He had a portfolio done in June of 2012 in another magazine.

Please keep his wife Jan in your thoughts as she passes through this difficult time.

Pat Wilkins - Classic Plastic member

Barry was a great guy. He welcomed us into his home many times to just talk model kits and stuff. I was able to make a decal for him, and he was so grateful. He thanked me then, but now I want to thank him for being a friend.

BARRY FADDEN 10-27-19.jpg

As I am in the UK, I had never met Barry but had communicated with him through forums.  He always came across as one of the good guys in the model building community.  I remember a nice bright yellow Revell 1932 Ford sedan that he had built.  My thoughts are with his wife and family during this difficult time for them.

I have known Barry for about ten years since I joined the Classic Plastic Model Club.  His passing was a great shock to me and his illness came on very quickly.  I have always enjoyed the Get-Togethers and Play Dates at his house.  He was always ready and willing to tell you of a process or technique that he knew or show you his models and how he built them.  I am going to miss him very, very much!  He was a good friend!

image.png.2173492c3f5e87cf72e9736fe774c4bd.png

This photo of Del and Barry was posted on Facebook, attributed to Vince Labosco and taken at the GSL in Salt Lake City.  If you saw one of them at a show, you knew the other wasn't far away.

It's a shame to lose both of them so close together.   After Del's death Barry took his final model to shows on the East Coast, accepting awards on Del's behalf.  A good friend to the end!    

Edited by Tom Geiger

I went to the burial for Barry today at the Massachusetts Veterans Cemetary in Winchendon, Ma. this morning.  A nice and simple ceremony for Barry.  I am really going to miss him.  He's now in Heaven and I hope Del Paone has found him and they are building some awesome models together...

I enjoyed a long-distance friendship with Barry over the years on this and other forums. We shared a mutual interest in hot rod modeling. When I first resumed modeling now more than 10 years ago it was Barry who saw the potential in my early efforts and offered enthusiasm and encouragement.  He had a unique gift for a stylish and impeccably turned out model which I always found inspirational. I tried my best to let him know how important his models and his comments were in my development. From all the kind words expressed here I suspect I was only one of many. I will miss him. As so many have said, he was one of the good guys...

• 4 weeks later...

I had the pleasure of meeting Barry twice at the GSL. The photo above is at the GSL and I was seated across this table from Barry and Del, although judging by my empty chair next to Gene Duarte indicates I must have been in the food line! This past May, Barry and I had a chance to chat for a bit and talked about Del a little and I really enjoyed it. I'll miss not seeing him at the next one.

-Art