Model Cars Magazine Forum

Will we ever see the Monogram S-10 again?

Jim H.

14 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Working with a resin caster this week to see if he can make copies of the 2wd suspension easily enough to offer up to the masses. Stay tuned!

Woot!

Maybe some other S-10 parts?  The aforementioned Baja, proper skits for the Cameo edition, a proper extended cab ... :)

1 hour ago, Jonathan said:

Woot!

Maybe some other S-10 parts?  The aforementioned Baja, proper skits for the Cameo edition, a proper extended cab ... :)

For now just the stock suspension, maybe some grilles to do the 82-90 & 91-92 model years. A proper 4wd suspension with the correct ride height would be nice , maybe possible.

4 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

For now just the stock suspension, maybe some grilles to do the 82-90 & 91-92 model years. A proper 4wd suspension with the correct ride height would be nice , maybe possible.

Cool.  Be nice to see the possibilities.  You still see a lot of these on the roads around here. :)

3 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

I'm here in Charlotte Jonathan, I've been looking for one that hasn't been beat to death.

I see them all over Durham and Raleigh ... except you said not beat to death, so there's that .... :)

I'd love to find one in good shape, as well.

You don't see that many Gen 1 versions around here. They were all probably exiled to central Oregon after failing multiple emissions tests, especially the carb and TBI versions. The second gens are all over the place, in fact there is one in my driveway. 

4 hours ago, Cliff Dagger said:

When did the S-10 molds get shipped to China ? Wasn’t the last issue the low rider 3 in 1 ?

Remember the base of the S-10 is the GMC Syclone kit, it's the original tooling the S-10s are based on and came out before hand.  That was sent to China along with everything else because they foresaw reissuing it again in the future.

On 11/9/2020 at 3:39 PM, Rodent said:

You don't see that many Gen 1 versions [ in California ]. They were all probably exiled to central Oregon after failing multiple [ invasive , California "white glove" ] emissions tests, especially the carb and TBI versions.

Another series of vehicles which would pass the (pointless) visual exam , then fail "at-the-pipe" testing .  I've seen it go the other way around , too : fail the visual (i.e. , modified or outright removed emissions controls) , but pass at-the-pipe . 

My dad had an '82 with the paperweight 2.8 / grinding halt TH-200 combo. Gutless gas hog with that underpowered engine , and 2.71 (or so) final drive . Could have modified it , but my dad didn't want to mess with it . California strikes again .

2 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Another series of vehicles which would pass the (pointless) visual exam , then fail "at-the-pipe" testing .  I've seen it go the other way around , too : fail the visual (i.e. , modified or outright removed emissions controls) , but pass at-the-pipe . 

My dad had an '82 with the paperweight 2.8 / grinding halt TH-200 combo. Gutless gas hog with that underpowered engine , and 2.71 (or so) final drive . Could have modified it , but my dad didn't want to mess with it . California strikes again .

Just because everything is there and hooked up, it doesn't mean that it is working. Also, the tailpipe test is just a small slice of what is being emitted over the course of the day (Hello, diesel defeat devices?). I like the MY 2000-up test that they do now. No tailpipe test needed. Let the OBD-II system do its job.

Edited by Rodent

2 hours ago, Rodent said:

I like the MY 2000-up test that they do now. No tailpipe test needed. Let the OBD-II system do its job.

The OBD-II check is much better by far . I'm surprised that it starts a model year 2000 instead of MY 1996... 

Of course , California (thanks to Prop 6) added a "Smog Abatement Fee" (fancy phrase for 'Tax') to the outrageous vehicle registration taxes . 

On 11/9/2020 at 1:34 PM, Jonathan said:

Cool.  Be nice to see the possibilities.  You still see a lot of these on the roads around here. :)

Perry's Resin once offered an early first gen Chevy S-10 grille which was very nicely done decent. Not sure if anyone wants to open that Pandora's box and contact Randy to see if he'd offer it again, but it might be worth the effort of a few e-mails or facebook messages.

Edited by Casey

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Perry's Resin once offered an early first gen Chevy S-10 grille which was very nicely done. Not sure if anyone wants to open that Pandora's box and contact Randy to see if he'd offer it again, but it might be worth the effort of a few e-mails or facebook messages.

think I may have this piece.  Years ago, I picked up an early S-10 grill off of eBay - maybe part of some package deal.  It has some pinholes, but I think it's passable.  Lemme see if I can dig it up. :)

5 hours ago, slusher said:

Will the 95 S-10 suspension work on the new S-10 guys?

The 1:1 chassis were pretty close to identical. Maybe someone has both kits and would look? Both my original S10 and Syclone kits were re-homed some time ago.

The 4wd uses torsion bars and the 2wd uses coils. I just remembered that the front frame area of the AMT S10/Sonoma is different than the Blazer. The same is probably true with the Revellogram kits.

Edited by Rodent
remembered something

7 hours ago, Casey said:

Perry's Resin once offered an early first gen Chevy S-10 grille which was very nicely done. Not sure if anyone wants to open that Pandora's box and contact Randy to see if he'd offer it again, but it might be worth the effort of a few e-mails or facebook messages.

Manny at VCG Resins offers a 1984 S-10 Grille, I ordered the other day. Would be nice if someone offered the 2wd front suspension and stock engine parts.

4 hours ago, Rodent said:

The 1:1 chassis were pretty close to identical. Maybe someone has both kits and would look? Both my original S10 and Syclone kits were re-homed some time ago.

The 4wd uses torsion bars and the 2wd uses coils. I just remembered that the front frame area of the AMT S10/Sonoma is different than the Blazer. The same is probably true with the Revellogram kits.

Thank you