Model Cars Magazine Forum

Will we ever see the Monogram S-10 again?

Jim H.

• 3 months later...

Not a huge fan of the custom waverider version, but I definitely appreciate the vintage catalogs. Thanks for sharing those. These are from the Monogram 93 and 96 catalogs that I have.

I like the blue S10 from the illustration. That is how I'll paint my S10, if I ever get back to working on it.

I think that illustration would make great box art for a re-issue (!!!)

IMG_9046.JPG

IMG_9045.JPG

One of the problems is they not only have the 4WD wheels on a 2WD kit, but they are also a bit big since they seem to have used a set of 16/17" tires they already made for other kits. I'm hoping if it ever gets released again, they at least include the AWD/4WD parts from the Syclone kit to allow you to make a 4WD S10 easier. I'm pretty sure at least a couple of the parts are already included (I seem to recall the front differential/driveshaft), so they would just need the transfer case, rear driveshaft, torsion bars, and front halfshafts. It would probably be too much to ask for them to have a set of 15" rally wheels and tires included as well.

• 4 months later...

If you are not too worried about scale differences, GM had a habit of re-using older wheels styles on S-10's, often using Camaro or Full size car Mag Wheels on S-10 or C-series trucks 4 or 5 years after they had been used on the original cars. There was a "Swirl Style" Mag that I first saw on Camaro's, that ended up on S-10's about 5 years later. 

Finding a GM Mag style that you like and then putting in on the S-10 Might work. It would mean look at a bunch of dealer brochure photos, but might give you some wheel options more to your tastes. You could source the wheels from both 1/24 or 1/25 scale Camaro's or Full Size (Monte Carlo?) kits.

Hope This Helps.

22 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can the wheels plus tires from the MPC '86 Chevy El Camino SS be used

Yes. Just try to find some from earlier releases of the kit, as later release wheels can have molding issues:

s-l1600.jpg

pic-2368571764940090-1600x1200.jpeg?_ga=

I'm not sure what the point (outside of some resin caster) would be to tool up steelies and the poverty caps that went with them (I had a '90 S-10 L as my first car in H.S.), as they weren't available on the mandatory higher trim levels that came with V-6 powered S-10s.  You'd need to source out the 94HP boat anchor of noise that is an Iron Duke to begin the conversion back down to the base model rubber floor, vinyl seat, no A/C, no power anything - "It's basic transportation" - thing I had.  

Edited by niteowl7710

Because steelies and caps are awesome, that's why, don't open the hood and you can pretend it has the base model engine, and lets be honest,  all plastic model kit interiors look like they have vinyl floors , so bring"em on!.....But I am going to be using the wheels from the AMT El Camino on mine.

When I said tool up, I was thinking resin caster/3D printed, not Revell doing the tooling.

Edited by martinfan5

I like the idea of the El Camino wheels for the S10. I had forgotten this kit is 1/25th, was thinking it was 1/24th.  I’ve never had the stock one, built the Syclone kit back in the day, and picked up an unbuilt Waverider custom a while back...(I like the custom grille and hood). 

3 hours ago, WGaree said:

the fiero engine is physically too small albeit the correct 2.5 4 banger  it’s like mpc made it 1:26 or the revellogram S10 is 1:24 

Edited 3 hours ago by WGaree

I would like to see the old Monogram S10 issued as well. By the way I believe the Monogram S10 is 1/24 scale.

41 minutes ago, Fabrux said:

What about the engine from the MPC Cavalier?

B254A62B-E645-4771-839E-9C90A36D4DFE.jpeg.2e367ec6d1a1cd56159564a6fb7b75c6.jpeg

Cavie engine is very nicely done. It does sit sideways so you’d have to work out a transmission. I don’t know if it’s right for the pickup though.

Note that the Cavaliers haven’t been issued since the car was new but its an eternal $10 kit, easily obtained today.

Edited by Tom Geiger

1 minute ago, Tom Geiger said:

Cavie engine is very nicely done. It does sit sideways so you’d have to work out a transmission. I don’t know if it’s right for the pickup though.

That engine would be ok for an early S-10,  pre-85.  The later ones (the kit is a '91 or '92?) used the Iron Duke, different 4cyl family.   Not sure how different they would be in 1:25th, though.