Model Cars Magazine Forum

Italeri 2020

Matt Bacon

Looks like Italeri are re-releasing the Protar Mercedes W196 this year, which is good news if classic Formula 1 cars are your thing — it’s been quite hard to find lately. They’re also re-popping the Esci Mercedes 500 SLC in street and rally form. But the BIG news is a new addition to their 1/12th collection: a Lancia Delta Integrale, in Martini livery, of course... I’m very tempted!

best,

M.

Thanks!  There's some good news, especially that ESCI CJ-7.  I really wish Italeri would re-issue the Toyota BJ-44 again..., er, I meant the "Armed Pickup."

I'll try to get un-lazy and scan a photo of Francois Verlinden's Bandama Rally Mercedes.  Can't find it online. Some pics were in the 1983 book "Model Cars."  He did a great job. IIRC, he didn't even paint it, since it was heavily weathered/damaged in post-rally condition.

I wonder if Italeri will correct the Bandama Mercedes decal sheet.  The box art is correct and shows the decal over the windshield as "Swede."  But the decal sheet is wrong and spells it "Suede," as you can see on JC's built-up.  Also the driver's name should be "Thorszelius," not "Thorzelius."

Well, looks like Italeri is getting all the money I'm not giving to Revell this year. I'm definitely down for the SLC and the Range Rover classic. I'm also thiiiis close to springing for the 1/12 scale Alfa 8c, but I know the second i buy it they'll release the Stradale version i really want...

The original ESCI Jeep Golden Eagle had a hardtop.  But it's not shown on the pic above, so I'm guessing it's not included.

Which brings up the mystery of the missing ESCI tops. Different versions of the original ESCI Land Rover had a soft top and a hard top. So did the Toyota BJ-44. The Land Rover has been re-issued with its hardtop, but the nice soft top hasn't been seen since the original issue in the 1980's, AFAIK. 

When Italeri re-issued the BJ-44 a few years ago as the "Armed Pickup," it didn't have either top.  That's a problem because the doors are molded to the body and it looks goofy with doors but no roof. Cutting out the doors makes the body very fragile and easily broken. Don't ask how I know this...

Even worse, the BJ-44 interior is sparse, lacking pedals or even a firewall.  The last Italeri re-issue didn't even have the instrument panel decal with the speedometer, though earlier versions did.  With no top all that missing stuff is very visible (or invisible).

I've never seen inside an ESCI Jeep kit, so I don't know if it has the same lack of interior detail. Somebody in here probably knows.

jeep_golden.jpg

Edited by Mike999
goof2

Any info on the BMW M1 Procar? I assume it is an Esci reissue like most kits on the above list? From the pic it seems like a street version, but does anyone know if it has a full street interior?

I'm definitely getting it if it is at least a solid base to build the Canepa car:

https://petrolicious.com/articles/canepas-street-legal-1979-bmw-m1-procar-the-full-story

Edited by PowerPlant

42 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

Were do you find Italeri kits in US?? A few I'd like....

Most big online vendors carry at least some Italeri kits. MegaHobby, Freetime Hobbies, HobbyLinc etc.

If all else fails, you can order directly from Italeri's website. I've never done that, but I think other people on this forum have. 

Here's a link to their 1/24 car kits:

https://www.italeri.com/en/category/8/37

1 hour ago, afx said:

I assume the Porsche 935 is the a re-box of the Entex/Nitto/AMT kit.

DSCN5173

It sure looks like it. Add to it the last AMT 935 kit I bought had a sticker applied to the box that said 'parts made in Italy'. It's a simple kit, almost curbside with the engine just 3 parts. But builds quick and looks good.......to me! 

P935akin.JPG

10 hours ago, PowerPlant said:

Any info on the BMW M1 Procar? I assume it is an Esci reissue like most kits on the above list? From the pic it seems like a street version, but does anyone know if it has a full street interior?

I'm definitely getting it if it is at least a solid base to build the Canepa car:

https://petrolicious.com/articles/canepas-street-legal-1979-bmw-m1-procar-the-full-story

I have an older version of the ESCI M1 (a race version). I think they did both race and street versions of this kit, so this latest release might be a street car.

It has under-bonnet detail, and a separate engine (the rear hatch opens). it has lots of parts, detailed suspension & interior. The shapes looks right. I have not built mine, so I cannot say how the construction really is. The part details are a little plain and angular (no textures on carpeted or cast surfaces), but I think the textures can be added with paint, and I think the kit might be a good basis for a detailed build. I plan on swapping another BMW 6 into mine, probably from a Fujimi or Revell kit, and enhancing the engine details with better air horns for the intake. I also plan on swapping the wheels out for more detailed units. Mine will be built as a modified street car.  

18 minutes ago, CapSat 6 said:

I have an older version of the ESCI M1 (a race version). I think they did both race and street versions of this kit, so this latest release might be a street car.

It has under-bonnet detail, and a separate engine (the rear hatch opens). it has lots of parts, detailed suspension & interior. The shapes looks right. I have not built mine, so I cannot say how the construction really is. The part details are a little plain and angular (no textures on carpeted or cast surfaces), but I think the textures can be added with paint, and I think the kit might be a good basis for a detailed build. I plan on swapping another BMW 6 into mine, probably from a Fujimi or Revell kit, and enhancing the engine details with better air horns for the intake. I also plan on swapping the wheels out for more detailed units. Mine will be built as a modified street car.  

They did both a street and race version.  Sold mine off years ago because I lost interest

image.jpeg.17b0515acd1099beaca2b3eb5ed2e724.jpeg     Image result for esci bmw m1

Edited by Exotics_Builder

I forgot that the CJ7 was also reissued by Humbrol which is the version i've got.

Pictures of the box and a stalled build after i lost the front diff.

Pedals were removed as they are molded to the floor and firewall added.Plastic strip also added on the edge of the floor to lessen the gap between floor and body.

IMG_0996.JPG.edf13623a89ae2cd16cd730e9174b2a7.JPG

IMG_1008.JPG

4 minutes ago, PowerPlant said:

I am aware of the factory stock street car... However, the announcement shows the Procar version with no race livery and I kinda doubt they will have bashed the Procar body with the street car interior, but here's to hoping! 

The product description on vendor sites says it's the Procar version..I suspect at the time they announced the reissue they didn't have the specific livery licenses worked out, or they will release it with a phony livery or blank (which seems odd).