Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round2 Feb. 2020

ChrisBcritter

Well........

I'll be buying the '66 Chevy Modstock for the decals. They look marginally better than the old ones.

I have to say that while I will end up with the '76 Dart, the Hype Sticker on the box once again brims with half truths. Retro Box Art. True, but totally irrelevant. New Decals. Only point that is true with no caveat's. Pad Printed Tires. True of 90% of all Round2 kits since 2008. So, irrelevant. And last, the Two Figures. Same as the ones in the '75 Dart kit. So No change, and another lame selling point.  So, three wasted Bullet Points, and one (new decals) that is mandatory in order to "Move the Plastic" as it were.

Given that many buyers at the Big Box Hobby Stores may not know of this kits connection to the '75 Dart, Round2 may have deemed these Product Call outs necessary. Still seems like much buzz for nothing. Can We get the "Smokey, Convoy Chaser" next, please. At least it has some different parts.

Now to see what comes up in March!

25 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

Yeah, looks like I am going be building a box art Dart for just the sheer goofiness of it. I am weird. 

That would be......what's the word  I am looking for?.....cool.   Lol!

Edited by larman

Nice to finally see Hang 10 decals for the Dart Sport ! 

Certainly , that package was available from 1974-1975 (with any engine , but all were automatic-only) , but I'll take 'em in a box labelled "1976" .

The last issue of this kit ( labelled as a "1975" ) didn't include the pad printed tyres --- another selling point here for this iteration .

I still have an incomplete 1975 (which I've been working on since I bought it in c.2014) . I'd decided to build it as a curbside ; after much fiddling , I put the almost-finished kit back in its box . The wheelbase is off side-to-side on the front , which I didn't realise until I'd installed the chassis into the body / interior ! 

Next time , I will be pirating the AMT 1971 Duster for its engine compartment , suspension , etc. , and a resin-pop of a 727 trans .

Nothing against 'Ol Chad, but if this is his job, shouldn't he know the products? It's like he is seeing this stuff for the first time when he is reviewing it. Or is that the point? Is it supposed to be "Oh, look at this it's just off the truck." I mean the majority of people taking the time to look are knowledgable collectors and model builders so we know when he is BSing because he doesn't know what he is talking about.

8 minutes ago, larman said:

Nothing against 'Ol Chad, but if this is his job, shouldn't he know the products? It's like he is seeing this stuff for the first time when he is reviewing it. Or is that the point? Is it supposed to be "Oh, look at this it's just off the truck." I mean the majority of people taking the time to look are knowledgable collectors and model builders so we know when he is BSing because he doesn't know what he is talking about.

I assume he's just reading a prepared script from a teleprompter.. 

So now even the display case is Coke themed? Lolz.

I am in the minority here, but I am tired of all of these retro 60s style packaging. I mean, I know that it is Round 2, and the connotation is that they are bringing stuff back, which is fine. But personally all of the retro stuff is tiresome. I think Round2 needs a 1st Round subdivison that they can create and release some new stuff. 

Anyway, i'll be buying the GTX. I have an idea in mind for that one, and bought the standard 69 GTX kit a couple of years ago with the intention of modifying it. And now they have done the mods for me. So that's cool.

I love the retro stuff because it allows me to buy these kits at non rip-off collector prices.  One thing I do wish they would do is more '80's reissues.  We haven't seen the '81 Turbo-Z Camaro and later Pro Street version since the mid '80's.   They could package that with an assortment of factory stripe colors on the decal sheet like they did with the Firebird T/A reissue.  I'm sure it would sell fairly well.  I'd also like to see the Fiero kit reissued.  That was a fairly nice kit back in the day and prices have been getting steep.  Of course, we'd only be able to get the later GT "flying butress" style version, but I'd still like to see it again.  The '92 Firebird GTA would nice too, and this time, they can mold it in white instead of that ugly brown/gray plastic of the original issue. They could also reissue the '92 Camaro Z28 and include the heritage stripe decals in different colors.  I'd like to see a return of the pre-assembled "Masterpiece Collection" series.  When they came out, I bought two of each.  It was a good alternative to the somewhat toy like diecast models and they offered more detail than a normal promo.     

16 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

I assume he's just reading a prepared script from a teleprompter.. 

i don't see any evidence of that. Seems like he's just reading stuff right off the box

He seems like a nice guy, and I applaud him for putting himself out there every month only to be scrutinized by the internet. I hope for his sake he stays away from all social media. 

I appreciate what Round2 is trying to do with this video every month.  Instead of releasing some throw away press release every month, they are actually putting a human face to their company. But they should really take 15 minutes to put together a little script or cue card for him to read off of so he can relay important information about the subjects they're trying to create interest in. Just reading the stickers that we can all see on the box and saying cool constantly doesn't sell the product. Keep Chad, because i like the guy, but help him out a little bit rather than having him "wing it" about product he doesn't seem to know whole lot about. If I'm wrong about his product knowledge then i apologize, but it sure doesn't come across that way in what could be a much more effective sales tool. 

They also aren't making these videos for the 1% of the 1% of the hobby that inhabits this forum with their near constant berating of Chad on the monthly basis. You all should know what's coming well in advance of the monthly release videos. I'd also go out on a limb and say no amount of "jazzing" up the excitement is going to make the 32nd Dodge Dart you're buying any more exciting than the previous 30 unless you really want that new decal sheet.