Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Oldsmobile 442 W-30

StevenGuthmiller

Absolutely magnificent. One of the best model cars of any kind I've ever seen. And no doubt the finest JoHan '68 4-4-2 that's ever been built by anyone, anywhere. B)

You know what would look PERFECT sitting next to it on your shelf? A '69 Barracuda coupe. B):D

Wow guys, I can't thank you all enough!

I was thinking to myself, wouldn't it be great if people would show this much appreciation for everything we love to do in life? ;)

Sincerely, I just love doing what I do, and the attention that all of you gentleman and ladies lavish upon me is a huge added bonus.

You will never know how much of a motivation you are to me.

Thank you all so much folks!

I am truly humbled by your comments.

Steve

10 hours ago, moparfarmer said:

Fantastic build..Mentioned we would see it at NNL North this year, hoping its still on..Might not get there tho as the border may not be open for travel..If it is and the show is a go, we'll be there..

I am really hoping that the NNL North show will still take place in May as planned Wayne, and if not, it it's not rescheduled for later in the year, there's always next year I guess. ;)

Steve

5 hours ago, TooOld said:

Absolutely stunning work Steve , congrats on another top shelf build !  The removable air cleaner housing and filter were definitely worth the extra effort ! :D

Again Bob, thank you for your help with those decals!

You were a large part of the inspiration for continuing with the "exploded" intake assembly.

It really wouldn't have been worth doing without the beautiful decals!

Thank you!!

Steve

55 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Absolutely magnificent. One of the best model cars of any kind I've ever seen. And no doubt the finest JoHan '68 4-4-2 that's ever been built by anyone, anywhere. B)

You know what would look PERFECT sitting next to it on your shelf? A '69 Barracuda coupe. B):D

If I didn't know better Snake, I would say that was a "shameless plug". :D

But I appreciate the kind comments.

A more likely accompaniment to this Olds might come in a few months in the shape of a '68 Dodge Coronet R/T Hemi. ;)

Steve

30 minutes ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Steven, as I have previously stated, great model. I must have missed it somewhere along the line tho, what did you use for the wheel weights?

Thank you Mark!

The wheel weights are simply short segments of stretched sprue painted silver and applied to the wheel.

The clamp bands are nothing more than dabs of silver paint. ^_^

Steve

45 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

If I didn't know better Snake, I would say that was a "shameless plug". :D

A more likely accompaniment to this Olds might come in a few months in the shape of a '68 Dodge Coronet R/T Hemi. ;)

Steve

Darn. I hoped I was being subtle. :lol:

Will follow your '68 Coronet build. I have the Modelhaus repro and have been looking for build ideas. Having a hard time deciding on a color. 

I appreciate it folks!

49 minutes ago, Bucky said:

Exquisite...stunning...incredible...life-like...

I can only hope the rebuild on my '68 4-4-2 promo turns out half as nice. (I may "borrow" a few of your techniques, if you don't mind!)

Contrary to what you may perceive Keith, I don't believe that there is a single technique applied to this build, or any other I have done, that I invented.

Let's just say I'm a good student. :D

Knock yourself out and "borrow" away! B)

35 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Will follow your '68 Coronet build. I have the Modelhaus repro and have been looking for build ideas. Having a hard time deciding on a color. 

Coincidentally, I have been having the same issue deciding on color, But I think I've finally settled on white with a red bumble bee stripe and a darker red interior.

No vinyl top this time.

And I haven't made a definitive decision yet, but I'm leaning towards a Hemi and Magnum wheels on this one.

Steve

Steve

Thanks fellas!!

6 hours ago, Brutalform said:

I especially like the way you have flat spots on the tires. Looks so much more real in a sitting position. I never thought of doing that. 

This was something that I had never really thought seriously about until a few weeks ago when I saw a discussion about it on this board.

So I thought I would give it a try.

It worked nicely with the type of tires I was using, although when the model is sitting on a flat hard surface, the front tires appear like they could use another 5 psi. :D

Steve