Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moving Sucks!

OldTrucker

Feels strange sitting here with bare walls where my models once sat on shelves, empty closet and boxes stacked everywhere!

Was supposed to move this weekend so we have most of our stuff packed (still packing today) just my wife and myself and she still cant lift anything heavy because of her fecent pacemaker battery replacement and valve replacement.

The carpet guys are running behind so the apartment in the 55+ community we are moving to isn't going to be ready until Monday or Tuesday and we have no help available to move until next Saturday!

All our boys working or watching their kids while spouses work and the older grandkids are just too plain lazy these days always on the electronics playing games all night and sleeping all day!!!

So goes life I guess!LOL

Agreed!  We do want to move back to NJ to be closer to family and friends.  We also have a big house we no longer need or want to take care of.  We have no real reason to be in PA anymore.

We probably are looking at 55 and over too.. just cannot get motivated to do it!

Good luck with the move. Hope it’s a much better situation for you!

Try moving to the house next door!  My first house was a two bedroom ranch, but after getting married and having kids (not necessarily in that order) we needed a bigger house.  The sweet elderly next door passed away so we bought the three bedroom cape cod next door from her estate.  When you move, you box the stuff and drive the truck to the new place.  Me?  I was the mule that had to haul everything.  For the basement, I took out the window and tossed everything that would fit into the driveway and family took it into the 'new place'.  At least we didn't have to unpack anything and it makes you sort into 'keep' and 'why did we keep this??'

8 minutes ago, HomerS said:

Try moving to the house next door...

Yeah, my last move was a little over a mile, six years back. Left the the big ol' house with the two-story garage (open, high enough for a lift and a loft) and drive in basement, moved everything one pickup or pickup-and-trailer load at a time. Including a full size Bridgeport-clone milling machine. Took about a month. Then I took a month off to recover.  :D

Now I'm fixin' to move my home, shop, office, studio, and a bunch of non-running vehicles in various stages of restoration almost 2000 miles across the country.

Mostly alone...though I'm talking with a couple of car-haulers about getting one full semi-load shipped in one shot.

You want to buy the house next door to the Goodwill store. You donate everything to them and they pick it all up at your current residence and take it to their store. Then when you're at the new residence you only have to go next door to buy back the stuff you really want. ?

Edited by imarriedawitch

33 minutes ago, imarriedawitch said:

You want to buy the house next door to the Goodwill store. You donate everything to them and they pick it all up at your current residence and take it to their store. Then when you're at the new residence you only have to go next door to buy back the stuff you really want. ?

The Goodwill in my part of the state outsourced pick up so you have to PAY them to take stuff for them to resell!

I donate to St Vincent DePaul or the Vietnam Vet thrift store.  Either can be done on line and will pick up at no charge.

12 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yeah, my last move was a little over a mile, six years back. Left the the big ol' house with the two-story garage (open, high enough for a lift and a loft) and drive in basement, moved everything one pickup or pickup-and-trailer load at a time. Including a full size Bridgeport-clone milling machine. Took about a month. Then I took a month off to recover.  :D

Now I'm fixin' to move my home, shop, office, studio, and a bunch of non-running vehicles in various stages of restoration almost 2000 miles across the country.

Mostly alone...though I'm talking with a couple of car-haulers about getting one full semi-load shipped in one shot.

Bill, I wish I could help. I love to drive and cats. Do you still have your cat? I really like where your moving..

I have moved often in life and never really found it to be much fun. To me the biggest problem is the longer you live in one place the more stuff you seem to gather around you. Reminds me of an old George Carlin routine. We are going on 20 years here, the longest I've ever lived anywhere in my life. I think I would rather take a beating than move.  

We’re about to move, and you’re right - it sucks.

Doesnt suck as much as living next door to the Moroccan family with the wife-beating husband and the child-abusing Mom and the perma-crying (unsurprisingly) young kids though.  The roach infestation coming through the wall of their urine-smelling apartment was the final straw, after the landlord said he couldn’t do anything to remove them because they accused him of racism and threatened him with some kind of Muslim rights lawyer...so we’re about to pack up and move out, soon as we find a place.

Pain in the donkey though...

1 hour ago, CabDriver said:

We’re about to move, and you’re right - it sucks.

Doesnt suck as much as living next door to the Moroccan family with the wife-beating husband and the child-abusing Mom and the perma-crying (unsurprisingly) young kids though.  The roach infestation coming through the wall of their urine-smelling apartment was the final straw, after the landlord said he couldn’t do anything to remove them because they accused him of racism and threatened him with some kind of Muslim rights lawyer...so we’re about to pack up and move out, soon as we find a place.

Pain in the donkey though...

I don’t blame you Jim, I would get out of there.

The three most stressful events in life are divorce, taxes and MOVING (not necessarily in that order).  It doesn't matter how far the move is.  We have moved across the continent (twice) and two floors down.  It's all the same!

Everyone in our 55+ community has a downsizing story to tell.  We moved from a 3-bedroom house with garage and shed to a 2-bedroom apartment.

MOVING SUCKS!!

Moving is exhausting...done it only 4 times since leaving grad school in 1997.   Moved from Michigan to Colorado, moved once within Colorado, then to Arizona, then to Ohio most recently.   I'll probably be in my current house a few more years, but looking down the road at selling it and buying a large one-story house w/ more garage space and maybe a barn/shop..but not too rural (the family farm I grew up on and own partially now is waaaay too rural, for example). 

Recently moved from a house we had been in for 20 years to my parents' house. Lost Dad in December '19, and wife and I decided to take the house, neither one of my sisters wanted it. We had to deal with all of their old stuff along with moving all our stuff. Jeez, unbelievable how much junk you can accumulate! The move was only about 10 miles, and I could have used my truck and open trailer, but we rented a 26' Uhaul (fairly new F-650, pretty nice truck) and made three trips. One trip was moving all my models! Put blankets on floor of truck and just lined them up in rows. Never had any luck trying to pack models!  The house we moved to is bigger than the old one by a little bit, has a detached garage with a 17x17 workshop (new model room), in-ground pool and is on a canal that accesses one of the nicest lakes in my county. The house was built in '72, Mom and Dad bought it in '77 while I was still living with them, so it's kinda like going home for me. LOTS of remodeling because they really never did a whole lot to it, they were happy with the way it was. Kitchen completely redone, and still working on it. Master bath spruced up and ceilings and walls throughout redone in knockdown and new paint. New laminate floors everywhere except the bedrooms and a few walls opened up to "open it up." Next big project is organizing garage to make room for my 1:1 69 Bronco project and getting the model room organized so I can get back to building, hopefully before winter. I'm in Central Florida, so winters are mild, but this time of year is just too hot to do much. There's a window A/C unit in the workshop, but I haven't had a chance to try it to see how well it works. Not only does moving suck, but all the work post-move does too!!

4 hours ago, rkeel said:

Recently moved from a house we had been in for 20 years to my parents' house. Lost Dad in December '19, and wife and I decided to take the house, neither one of my sisters wanted it. We had to deal with all of their old stuff along with moving all our stuff. Jeez, unbelievable how much junk you can accumulate! The move was only about 10 miles, and I could have used my truck and open trailer, but we rented a 26' Uhaul (fairly new F-650, pretty nice truck) and made three trips. One trip was moving all my models! Put blankets on floor of truck and just lined them up in rows. Never had any luck trying to pack models!  The house we moved to is bigger than the old one by a little bit, has a detached garage with a 17x17 workshop (new model room), in-ground pool and is on a canal that accesses one of the nicest lakes in my county. The house was built in '72, Mom and Dad bought it in '77 while I was still living with them, so it's kinda like going home for me. LOTS of remodeling because they really never did a whole lot to it, they were happy with the way it was. Kitchen completely redone, and still working on it. Master bath spruced up and ceilings and walls throughout redone in knockdown and new paint. New laminate floors everywhere except the bedrooms and a few walls opened up to "open it up." Next big project is organizing garage to make room for my 1:1 69 Bronco project and getting the model room organized so I can get back to building, hopefully before winter. I'm in Central Florida, so winters are mild, but this time of year is just too hot to do much. There's a window A/C unit in the workshop, but I haven't had a chance to try it to see how well it works. Not only does moving suck, but all the work post-move does too!!

Sounds like a great upgrade on the hosing front. Sounds like with all you had to do on the new place you should have tried to get something going with HGTV or one of those Reno Series for TV. 

When my dad and I moved two years ago, for a lot of reasons, mainly the circumstances, it was horrible. I promised I would never do it again.

Now, with all my employment prospects evaporating, in the next 2-3 years, I have three basic choices.

1. Sell, pay off all my years of schooling that nobody seems interested in, even for minimum-wage employment, buy another property for cash, and move on, either up to New Hampshire or someplace down south and retain a small piece of property here to come home for the summer because the south is too hot for me during the summer.

2. Take out a BMF (and no, that isn't Bare-Metal Foil!) mortgage, consolidate said debt, and use the rest to buy a 2/3/4-family house somewhere so I have some income. On the bright side, with the income from the apartments, I could probably pay the mortgage off very quickly.

3. #2, only take one of the apartments, rent this house and do above, especially if I can pull off getting a very large building. (5+ units). I figure on around $50-60,000/year, I can get rid of the note in about five years.

#1 is the least bad of the options from a hassle standpoint. And I get to keep my word to myself.

Charlie Larkin

On 8/6/2020 at 10:23 AM, charlie8575 said:

...#1 is the least bad of the options from a hassle standpoint. And I get to keep my word to myself.

Yup. With the economy in a state of flux for the foreseeable future, and looming destabilizers like widespread civil unrest probable after November, and a possible "resurgence" of the coughing thingy forecast for the cold months, I'd be wary of expecting rental property to be a safe bet on your future right now.