Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

MCM Relaunch Update 08/2020


Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, Super28 said:

Got my issue of "The Last Issue" of model Car Magazine, which makes me ask , what about those of us that payed for a lifetime subscription? What happens to us now that Model Car Magazine to over????

Do you meant the last issue of Scale Auto? I got mine this week as well. Subscriptions will switch to Fine Scale Modeler.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Xingu said:

Do you meant the last issue of Scale Auto? I got mine this week as well. Subscriptions will switch to Fine Scale Modeler.

Yup, received mine yesterday as well. Sad, truly the end of an era! 

And right before I got that issue I got a renewal from Fine Scale in the swapped subscription!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got mine (last SA) about two weeks ago . . . just as the LHS was unpacking them. 

Don't ask me why Klambake always seemed to dis the subscribers by supplying their mags to dealers first. Never understood. Never made any sense, doesn't make any sense now.

(FYI- I subscribed for many, many years. Only reason I bought the "last" one at LHS is my subscription ran out with the issue before and . . . no, no way I was going to re-up for a magazine that had been killed. Fortunately I procrastinated renewal just long enough to find out it there would be nothing to renew.)

?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I too subscribed for as long as I was in the hobby. The magazine was responsible for the comeback of the hobby and many of us returning as well. For me I found it on a news stand in Boston while on a business trip. There was a classified ad for the Tri-state Scale Model Car Club.. the rest is history!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am sorely disappointed that SAE is gone (and that the last issue was done with cheap paper). I stopped subscribing to FSM a while ago due to quality and content issues, I am going to give Kalmbach a chance to get their act together, but I am not going to hold my breath. And I have my doubts about their plan to do a combined magazine; every time I have seen that attempted, the "absorbed" publication slowly disappears from the mother publication. Here's hoping MCM gets back on track soon, as I subscribed as soon as I got wind of SAE's demise.

John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Combining those two magazines will only upset the current Fine Scale readers who will perceive they are losing pages to “just cars”. So now they’ve ticked off two populations.

Kinda like having a magazine about dogs and they merged in a cat magazine!

Edited by Tom Geiger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Combining those two magazines will only upset the current Fine Scale readers who will perceive they are losing pages to “just cars”. So now they’ve ticked off two populations.

I've subscribed to FSM since the 80s.  Was the fact that they will roll some of the automotive contents (from the defunct Scale Auto) into FSM officially mentioned somewhere (and where?), or is this just a speculation?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think we (including myself here) have gotten a bit off track and turned this into a discussion about SA. Lets all get back on subject.

I am sure Larry will provide an update when he has concrete information to report.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, peteski said:

I've subscribed to FSM since the 80s.  Was the fact that they will roll some of the automotive contents (from the defunct Scale Auto) into FSM officially mentioned somewhere (and where?), or is this just a speculation?

Pure speculation by the usual posters

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Not speculation, there are several people currently building kits for review for FSM as we speak. Named you'd recognize once their published. 

I guess I misread the post I quoted or meant that response to another post.  I apologize for the misunderstanding.



I did see some posts somewhere from people who said they had been asked to prepare articles or reviews for FSM.  Looks like they will be holding true to their word and including model car content.

Edited by sfhess
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FSM is a general modelling magazine that has to cater for all genres. So I fear that the automotive content from S.A. will not be given any precedent over anything else in that magazine. It is a fact of life that there is more modelling interest in aircraft and military than cars generally, much as though I and many of us would wish otherwise. Just don't hold your breath!

Best just wait and see how MCM gets up and running again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

FSM is a general modelling magazine that has to cater for all genres. So I fear that the automotive content from S.A. will not be given any precedent over anything else in that magazine. It is a fact of life that there is more modelling interest in aircraft and military than cars generally, much as though I and many of us would wish otherwise. Just don't hold your breath!

Best just wait and see how MCM gets up and running again.

I get your skepticism of what the new FSM/SA magazine will look like, but I have confidence that a blended magazine may appeal to more modelers and will be better in the long run. There has been talk of resurrecting MCM for a while now and it will be a Herculean effort to accomplish that.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey guys - let's give FSM a chance, they do cater to all (well maybe not railroaders too much). In the past, FSM has run feature articles and how-tos by some of the best car modelers you likely know: Paul Budzik (stuff he was doing with Tamiya F1 and motorcycles late 80's just blew me away!); Mathew Usher; Bill Coulter; Pat Covert; even Steve Magnante! just in a few issues I have picked up from newstands over the years. And maybe all the competition for space will mean any car model articles published will be superb. I may not subscribe - but certainly will check out each issue.

I too was puzzled by a FSM renewal notice received few days before my Final SA(E) arrived.  (I had never subscribed to FSM previously)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When this magazine is re-launched will it be available in the UK?

As a subscriber to Scale Auto for some years I need a printed automotive/model car magazine to look through/read on a regular basis.

I've had the first Zinio version of the Finescale magazine and there are no auto/car articles in it as promised so have asked for my subscription to be returned as mine was up to December 2021 and really don't want or need a Military magazine at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guys, I get it, yes FSM has run some good auto modelling articles down through the years, and probably will continue to do so. I have enough copies to substantiate this, but I cannot see automotive articles taking up more of that magazine than they do already. As I have already said, FSM is a general modelling magazine that has to have balanced content to appeal to all genres of model making. If say 1/4 of that magazine was devoted in the future to automotive subjects in light of SA's closure, it would soon lose many subscribers and readers who are interested in other subjects. Just look at the number of stand alone aircraft and military modelling magazines that just keep going. That must be saying something about majority interests supporting them. I have seen  at least 3 dedicated British auto modelling magazines come and go in the past, so what is that saying? I know that Automotive Modelling is much, much stronger in the US, and SA closing may be just what the new MCM revival needs right now as the timing accidentally could not be better for it to succeed!  Let's see!

Edited by Bugatti Fan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Guys, I get it, yes FSM has run some good auto modelling articles down through the years, and probably will continue to do so. I have enough copies to substantiate this, but I cannot see automotive articles taking up more of that magazine than they do already. As I have already said, FSM is a general modelling magazine that has to have balanced content to appeal to all genres of model making. If say 1/4 of that magazine was devoted in the future to automotive subjects in light of SA's closure, it would soon lose many subscribers and readers who are interested in other subjects. Just look at the number of stand alone aircraft and military modelling magazines that just keep going. That must be saying something about majority interests supporting them. I have seen  at least 3 dedicated British auto modelling magazines come and go in the past, so what is that saying? I know that Automotive Modelling is much, much stronger in the US, and SA closing may be just what the new MCM revival needs right now as the timing accidentally could not be better for it to succeed!  Let's see!

I am going to wait and see what they end up doing. I will give them a few issues to get their bearings and figure out how it will all work together. It is quite possible that FSM will be expanded to accommodate the additional automotive coverage, placating the military modelers and giving us automotive modelers enough to stay interested. 

 

MCM is going to have to produce something other than a contest issue to generate any excitement about a revival, the recent shows have been covered either online or by SA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am not going to speculate on what either mag is going to do. I will just wait and see. If one or the other or both provide good content, then great. If both fail, I will still build models and visit this site.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Xingu said:

I am not going to speculate on what either mag is going to do. I will just wait and see. If one or the other or both provide good content, then great. If both fail, I will still build models and visit this site.

Agreed!  There is a golden opportunity for MCM right now if handled properly!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Xingu locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...