Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1971 Boss 351 Mustang

I’m curious what extra parts, if any, they will offer in this kit. It would be cool if they went the route of offering both manual and auto trans options, with both shifters and pedal assemblies. I feel like it would be only a few extra parts, and yet would allow for more build options out of the box. Plus it could carry through to future kits without having to retool.

On 2/16/2022 at 2:57 PM, keyser said:

High mounted turn indicators looks like export car. Don’t recall if it was called T5 then or not. Can’t be many export 429’s 

I have the 1/12 scale import kit of the 429 Mach1...

I forgot who made it....🙄

Edited by deuces wild
  • Like 1

I’m glad to see so much discussion going on about this upcoming kit. For years i thought i was the only person out who liked ‘71-‘73 Mustangs. I’m glad to see I’m not alone. I’m looking forward to, and will buy the Boss 351. But, I'd be more interested in Revell doing a correct ‘71 Mach I with a 429 under the hood. I’m not interested in bashing the old MPC, now AMT, Round 2 ‘71. From what it’s based on, I like it okay. But, a nice model based on modern tooling can only be better. 

I will bash Ertl for what they gave us as a ‘71 Boss 351 in the day. That kit was terrible for what it supposed to represent. Revell’s upcoming Boss 351 can only be a step up from that abomination. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 9:10 AM, unclescott58 said:

But, I'd be more interested in Revell doing a correct ‘71 Mach I with a 429 under the hood. 

Scott....my understanding, from the stage when the 1/1 scale research for kit development was underway, is that a Mach 1 with the 385 series 429 engine was being planned as a follow-up release off the initial Boss 351 tooling.   This info is over a year old, now, so plans might possibly have changed, but my nickel would be on a Mach 1 spinoff coming down the pike a year or so after the Boss 351 kit debuts.   As always, time will tell!  Best...TIM.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

Scott....my understanding, from the stage when the 1/1 scale research for kit development was underway, is that a Mach 1 with the 385 series 429 engine was being planned as a follow-up release off the initial Boss 351 tooling.   This info is over a year old, now, so plans might possibly have changed, but my nickel would be on a Mach 1 spinoff coming down the pike a year or so after the Boss 351 kit debuts.   As always, time will tell!  Best...TIM.

Good news. Thank you. 

By the way, since your time at Ford, what’s your thoughts in general on the ‘71-‘73 generation Mustang? And how was it looked upon by others you worked with? Those Mustangs and the ‘74-‘78 Mutt IIs that followed, which I like, seem to get very little respect from car guys in general.

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

It would certainly make sense to tool the parts for a 429CJ or SCJ version and even a 351CJ so three version of the kit could be produced with engine swaps, different front bumper,  rear valence, gas cap, decals and other minor differences.  I’d like to see a 351CJ with the standard valve covers.  The RM 70 Mach1 in 1/24 Cleveland engine kit only had custom valve cover so hopefully they will remember to base the kit on a concours stock Mach1.

8 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Good news. Thank you. 

By the way, since your time at Ford, what’s your thoughts in general on the ‘71-‘73 generation Mustang? And how was it looked upon by others you worked with? Those Mustangs and the ‘74-‘78 Mutt IIs that followed, which I like, seem to get very little respect from car guys in general.

Scott...the '71/'72 (but not '73) were always among my own most favorite 1st gen Mustangs.  I never thought they got the respect they deserved from the automotive worlds.  I can't speak for my former Ford colleagues, but the impression I had was that these were not all that well liked in general, but that the appreciation grew as we designed to current gen (2015 and on) Mustang themes.   My own other fave early Mustangs would have to be the 1967 with Pony package, and the 1969, particularly the Boss 302.   Thanks for asking....TIM  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Scott...the '71/'72 (but not '73) were always among my own most favorite 1st gen Mustangs.  I never thought they got the respect they deserved from the automotive worlds.  I can't speak for my former Ford colleagues, but the impression I had was that these were not all that well liked in general, but that the appreciation grew as we designed to current gen (2015 and on) Mustang themes.   My own other fave early Mustangs would have to be the 1967 with Pony package, and the 1969, particularly the Boss 302.   Thanks for asking....TIM  

Ah. Your taste in Mustangs runs similar to mine. 1967 has been, and always will be my favorite. And I also agree with you on the ‘71s and ‘72s. I don’t why the ‘73 just never felt right compared to the two previous years? Same way with those year’s of Cougar. The slightly larger bumpers some how ruin the look of both cars. Even though they were not as large as on some other ‘73 cars. In the small sporty/pony car class of cars, only Camaro and Firebird looked as good as they did the year before. And Javelin/AMX I felt looked okay too.

I was also wondering about your thoughts on the Mustang IIs. A car I like. Especially the clean Mach 1s, and the early Shelby GT350 looking Cobra II versions. The only real mistake I felt that Ford made with the car, was not offering a V8 in 1974s. I think it hurt the reputation of that generation of Mustang with true car guys from that point on. Other than that, it was the right car at right time. And I thought pretty well styled for time, with still being able meeting the bumper and other safety requirements of the time. Popular cars, that sold very well at the time. And deserve more respect than they get. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Ah. Your taste in Mustangs runs similar to mine. 1967 has been, and always will be my favorite. And I also agree with you on the ‘71s and ‘72s. I don’t why the ‘73 just never felt right compared to the two previous years? Same way with those year’s of Cougar. The slightly larger bumpers some how ruin the look of both cars. Even though they were not as large as on some other ‘73 cars. In the small sporty/pony car class of cars, only Camaro and Firebird looked as good as they did the year before. And Javelin/AMX I felt looked okay too.

I was also wondering about your thoughts on the Mustang IIs. A car I like. Especially the clean Mach 1s, and the early Shelby GT350 looking Cobra II versions. The only real mistake I felt that Ford made with the car, was not offering a V8 in 1974s. I think it hurt the reputation of that generation of Mustang with true car guys from that point on. Other than that, it was the right car at right time. And I thought pretty well styled for time, with still being able meeting the bumper and other safety requirements of the time. Popular cars, that sold very well at the time. And deserve more respect than they get. 

Scott...truthfully, the '74-'78 were my least favorite Mustangs.  But from the broader perspective of a business person, they were the right cars at the right time.  The Ghia with the opera roof windows was a very good execution of that genre.  The Mustang IIs sold very well for the period and were very popular with those who bought them.  Most importantly, from my perspective, is that they continued the Mustang legacy and nameplate through a very difficult period in the auto industry and paved the way for the immensely successful 1979-2004 Fox based Mustangs!   

TIM 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Scott...truthfully, the '74-'78 were my least favorite Mustangs.  But from the broader perspective of a business person, they were the right cars at the right time.  The Ghia with the opera roof windows was a very good execution of that genre.  The Mustang IIs sold very well for the period and were very popular with those who bought them.  Most importantly, from my perspective, is that they continued the Mustang legacy and nameplate through a very difficult period in the auto industry and paved the way for the immensely successful 1979-2004 Fox based Mustangs!   

TIM 

Thank you Tim. It’s always interesting to hear your perspective on things. 

On 2/21/2022 at 9:23 AM, tim boyd said:

TIM 

The '74-'78 Mustangs were also considered as "glorified pintos".....🙄🙁

A big complaint at the time of the Mustang II's introduction was that the Mustang had gotten too big and heavy.  Ford PR and writers were claiming that the Mustang II had similar dimensions to the original Mustang.  From a selection of my Mustang brochures:

1965: 181.6" long, 68.2" wide, 108.0" wheelbase, 2562 lbs. (hardtop)

1971: 189.5" long, 74.1" wide, 109.0" wheelbase, 3087 lbs. (hardtop)

1975: 175.0" long, 70.2" wide, 96.2" wheelbase, 2748 lbs. (coupe)

Having driven a '67 hardtop and a '73 Grande - neither of which I owned - the '73 was a much better car.  The additional width didn't make you feel cramped like you did in the '67, and it felt more solid than the '67.  I was not impressed with the ride of either one.  I was disappointed with the front and rear styling of the '71 Mustang when it came out, and I still think they detract from the rest of the car.  The Mustang II was simply too small.  Ford should have retained the width and wheelbase of the '71-'73 and shortened the car a bit.  It did sell well for its era.    

Edited by Motor City
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jordan White said:

Had to have been an AMT or Testors kit, I’m seeing sites saying not released yet, and I don’t see anything resembling box art.

Yes -Revell Boss 351 expected to be out much later this year and probably a 71 Mach1 version in 2023.

I think we will see it Bob. Just not on the original timetable. The VC firm who owns Revell now, does not seem like the kind of folks to squander all the effort that has already been invested in the kit. It will show up someday.

• Like 1

• 69NovaYenko changed the title to Revell `71 Mustang 351 Release date