Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

5 minutes ago, Bills72sj said:

I would have snagged the 70 Olds for sure.

I originally went in looking for the 65 Bonneville. They did not have one.

My store was 40% and decently stocked but I already own examples of all the inventory present.

Nothing to snag - those are all empty spaces that are labeled for pending new arrivals.

And the Olds will be a '71, not a '70.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Bills72sj said:

...I originally went in looking for the 65 Bonneville. They did not have one...

Thinking the '65 Bonneville will be another Round 2 release that HL never bothers carrying.  Luckily, I also have an excellent LHS where I already got one, but most people aren't so lucky nowadays.

There's always been certain Round 2 releases that didn't get carried by HL (MPC Squad Rod Nova and Pony Express Pinto wagon come to mind), but years ago I'd say they carried about 80% of the new releases.  For my local store, I'd say the current ratio is less than 50%.

Also interesting to note that all of the "future inventory" tags that I listed above will be Revell kits, except one (MPC Supra).

1 hour ago, Robberbaron said:

Also interesting to note that all of the "future inventory" tags that I listed above will be Revell kits, except one (MPC Supra).

Also looks like, judging by the current inventory, that many of those Revells will be $37-$39.99. While many of the AMTs hover around  $29.99-$32.99. Except the 72 Chevy ramp truck which jumped to $39.99! That's big rig prices, folks! Better grab the rigs you see now before they jump up too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robberbaron said:

Thinking the '65 Bonneville will be another Round 2 release that HL never bothers carrying.  Luckily, I also have an excellent LHS where I already got one, but most people aren't so lucky nowadays.

There's always been certain Round 2 releases that didn't get carried by HL (MPC Squad Rod Nova and Pony Express Pinto wagon come to mind), but years ago I'd say they carried about 80% of the new releases.  For my local store, I'd say the current ratio is less than 50%.

First thank you for the information.  My store continues to carry older stock,  I did get the pinto wagon at my HL and the inventory may be different by a few cars store to store..

My store has had the Wild Hoss Bronco and the 66 Chevelle and they just put out the 37 Ford pickup, 56 Thunderbird, 81 Camaro Z28, 67 Corvette, 34 Ford Sunoco pickup.....

And the Toyota Supra!!!

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!!!

Still haven't seen the 71 Olds yet.

Edited by Oldcarfan27
  • Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 11:23 AM, stavanzer said:

Got a kit there last week.

The '78 Dodge Pickup.

Sealed kit, but no wire axles. The tire bag is sealed but no axles.

Has anybody gotten a kit recently with no axles?

Next time you go to a hardware store checkout their small packages of nails. I have used #17 or #18 size brads that can be cut to length needed and seem to fit most kits wheel backs and the opening in the differential ends. There is no fear of bending or breaking them, the hardest part is getting a pair of side cutters to cut them as needed.  

7 hours ago, espo said:

Next time you go to a hardware store checkout their small packages of nails. I have used #17 or #18 size brads that can be cut to length needed and seem to fit most kits wheel backs and the opening in the differential ends. There is no fear of bending or breaking them, the hardest part is getting a pair of side cutters to cut them as needed.  

8 hours ago, Joe Nunes said:

Ace Hardware has music wire that comes in various diameters and can be cut to length as required for model use. 
Joe

This is why I use brazing rod. It cuts so much easier, than Music Wire or Nails.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 10:09 PM, JimC said:

Spotted in central Ohio today. The sticker shock is real. $39.99 for the (new) Revell kits and $32.99-$34.99 for Round2. This is not a 40% off week so nothing came home with me.

06210348-61FD-4F6D-9D9A-B4B81C7F0C20.jpeg

I would have had to snatch that Toyota Supra no matter what week it is..

Edited by slusher

4 hours ago, JimC said:

Spotted in central Ohio today. The sticker shock is real. $39.99 for the (new) Revell kits and $32.99-$34.99 for Round2. This is not a 40% off week so nothing came home with me.

We don't have stores like that here in the UK!

2 hours ago, PatW said:

We don't have stores like that here in the UK!

Not everybody here does either , I live in the Tampa area and it's an hour drive to the nearest Hobby Lobby and not worth the trip .  They never have anything close to what's in that photo , only 2 shelfs and mostly the same kits now as the last few years . Michaels is worse .

When talking with the HL clerk who was stocking models last week she told me the store has zero input as to what model kits they can get in at any given time.  They have to stock whatever comes in on the truck for a particular week. It will be nice to see some new kit stock to fill the new kit tagged shelf locations. 

Joe

14 hours ago, JimC said:

I think my two hobby lobbys that are a good hour away are suppose to be getting most of the new kits.  I wouldn't mind having that Z28 and 70 plymouth from revell, but with 40% off.  I know hobby lobby need to up there tool and paint selection though it's trash.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 8:09 PM, JimC said:

Looks like you've still got the 60 Chevy pickup, the first gen Bronco, the SD/DD Freightliner and the 69 Cobra Torino. Haven't seen those around here in ages.

Still waiting for the 70 Roadrunner to fill the space, too.

15 hours ago, Joe Nunes said:

When talking with the HL clerk who was stocking models last week she told me the store has zero input as to what model kits they can get in at any given time.  They have to stock whatever comes in on the truck for a particular week. It will be nice to see some new kit stock to fill the new kit tagged shelf locations. 

Joe

It's true that they have to wait for the new items to be sent when available, but once they're in, it's up to the department lead to keep tabs on ordering the inventory. It doesn't just show up on it's own.

I have to assume that stores with slow turnover in models don't tend to stock too much on their shelves. Smaller stores also don't have room for huge inventory. 

Try checking out the big stores near major shopping centers, they tend to get more foot traffic and have the sales to show for it.

Edited by Oldcarfan27

The department lead and various clerks who actually do the shelving of the kits have all told me they can not order in particular kits.  They get what is sent to them. We have a fairly large selection of kits at our HL store but I have been unable to get in a particular model when requested. Different aspects of model kit stocking at various HL locations perhaps. Nevertheless I have a good selection of kits from HL, purchased during the 40% off weeks and I will continue to monitor the kit shelves for new "scores".

Joe

1 hour ago, Joe Nunes said:

The department lead and various clerks who actually do the shelving of the kits have all told me they can not order in particular kits.  They get what is sent to them. We have a fairly large selection of kits at our HL store but I have been unable to get in a particular model when requested. Different aspects of model kit stocking at various HL locations perhaps. Nevertheless I have a good selection of kits from HL, purchased during the 40% off weeks and I will continue to monitor the kit shelves for new "scores".

Joe

The local HL to me has two shelf slots marked "Ford Assortment" and "Chevrolet Assortment". I'm assuming that's done for the exact reason you stated. I've picked up a couple unicorns from those slots LOL.