Model Cars Magazine Forum

1929 Ford Pickup 80's Contemporary Street Rod - A Tim Boyd Tribute!

Many of you should know the name Tim Boyd @tim boyd by now as he has been a regular contributor to model car magazines for decades. One of his biggest focusses in the hobby is scale Hot Rods and Street Rods and the pages of those magazines have been filled with his how-to projects. He also used to do a monthly column for Street Rodder Magazine called "Modelers Corner". One particular issue, the May 1990, left a huge impression on me and remains one of my favorite scale Street Rod how-to articles of all-time. I was 10 years old when this issue came out and actually didn't discover it until I was 13 when I spent a summer reading through my Dad's entire back catalog of Street Rodder. I ended up keeping the May 1990 issue aside and over the years read it until the binding came apart. Not only did I love the scale Street Rod that Tim created and the detailed how-to that he provided, I also loved that the Editor saw fit to print the article all in one shot rather than break it up over 2 or 3 issues as Tim has stated was the original plan.

Here is the intro to the article. Note that with this being printed in 1990 this means the model was actually created in 1989 using the best Street Rod kit bashing parts available at the time from such kits as Monogram's 1937 Ford Sedan and ZZ Top Eliminator Coupe, as well as, AMT's controversial 1933 Ford Sedan Street Rod - Not to mention Revell's 1929 Pickup kit as a foundation.

1601267101383-vi.jpg

Current pictures of this model can be found in Tim's Fotki account and today it still looks to be in pristine condition: https://public.fotki.com/funman1712/tim-boyds-124th--12/boyd-street-rods-ra/boyd-closed-cab-hot/

When I was about 16 I finally felt decent enough at model building to set out and build my version. While it wasn't an exact copy it borrowed heavily from Tim's ideas and parts sources. my version turned out pretty nice but, unfortunately, didn't stand the test of time and no longer exists.

This new version isn't going to be an exact copy either but, like the first one 24 years ago, will be heavily influenced once again by Tim's article.

Starting out with an initial mock up I decided to deviate on the wheel selection. Tim used the Boyd Coddington "billet" wheels from Monogram's original '37 Sedan release. I am going to be using these equally 80's correct 3-piece style wheels from AMT's (not so great) 1957 Corvette Flip-Nose Gasser. I've been hanging onto these wheels for about 25 years now(!) and I've finally found the just-right model for them. I stripped the chrome and they will be treated to a satin finish down the road. I'm using the same rear tires as Tim, the FAT BFG radials found in many of Monogram's kits in the 80's and 90's.  The front tires are from AMT's Gasser wheels and tires parts pack of a few years ago.

1601266829385-vi.jpg

1601266854908-vi.jpg

1601266866152-vi.jpg

The wheels were a loose fit in those big rear tires so I wrapped them in 1/8" wide strips of .015" Evergreen sheet to tighten them up. I then took a pair of front inner wheels from Revell's '32 Ford kits and cut the spokes and hubs out to create the inner wheel halves. 

1601266885054-vi.jpg

Up front I thinned down the inner wheel halves from AMT's 1949 Ford Coupe.

1601266889029-vi.jpg

I also took care of the engine set up today. In Tims article he has a close up of his finished engine and states, "Now get bust on your version of a small block Chevy...", encouraging you to have your own ideas.

1601267149823-vi.jpg

Tim used the engine block, trans, heads and front cover/water pump from AMT's '33 Sedan Street Rod. I am using the same pieces although in reissued form from the 5-Window Coupe follow up to the Sedan which used the identical chassis and engine. This engine was great for fitting into early Ford hot rod frames because of the easy to use mounts coming off the front corners of the oil pan.

My version uses the Weiand valve covers and tunnel ram intake set up from AMT's 1966 Nova Pro Street along with the same engines timing cover / water pump. The belt drive, accessories, oil filter and headers are from the original issue of Monogram's 1937 Sedan. The air filters are from Revell's Stacey David Rat Roaster. I also added separate breathers to the valve covers which come with the '34 5-Window engine. 

1601266900209-vi.jpg

1601266905474-vi.jpg

1601266915788-vi.jpg

1601266920972-vi.jpg

I modified the header flanges by thinning them down to a more realistic appearance. I also cleaned up the radius' of the pipes that this exposed. Prior to doing this access to the inner spark plug locations were obstructed so that was my main motivation. Also note that originally the oil filter was molded together with the oil pan. I cut that away so a separate, better detailed filter could be used.

1601266929277-vi.jpg

That's as far as I got today as I didn't have the full day at the bench I usually do. Definitely more to come soon!

Edited by Dennis Lacy
  • Like 2

THIS IS GOING TO FUN!

Not to hijack your thread, ADL, but I too was influenced by Tim Boyd to build my version of this when the article came out in 1990. I used a Corvette IRS, but did use the same TPI induction as Tim did. I'm not sure where the wheels came from! Ugly now, but the bomb then! I also filled the bed with a subwoofer (a suction cup in a scratched made enclosure) and an amp. Unfortunately, this build has not fared very well, got dropped once by a club member taking it to a show, I put it back together. I snapped a few quick pix today. The white paint has yellowed. It did win Best Use of Graphics in the Pacific NW NNL in Portland OR in 1991. It's survived a few moves....here it is in all it's glory (again, sorry for stomping on our post).... -RRR

rg4h6tyy.jpg

yg96g867856.jpg

iuyguiyiuyh.jpg

0h0huh.jpg

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat
  • Like 2

Dennis....needless to say I am beyond honored that a model builder with your credentials would be looking to a project I did for inspiration and ideas.  Thank you for the  very big nod and needless to say I will be following this one with great interest.   Particularly impressed with your work on the header flanges, and the old school intake/carb setup!  

Robert....also, needless to say, if I was doing that bad boy today that SBC would have been tossed and some type of Ford V8 would find its way under the hood!   At the time, I thought the graphics of that engine (the TP! setup) were very cool and deserved a home in one of my models.   Anyway,   Good shot!  :) 

Rodney....if you hadn't had detailed all the issues and repairs, yours would look just like a build from a year or two ago.  Way cool to know the article inspired yours...and also way cool to see how yours turned out. Congrats!  

Like Dennis, if I were doing the build today, I would be finding some different wheels,  And along with implementing a Ford in a Ford, those squiggle graphics and bright pink paint would surely be replaced something more in tune with today's tastes.  Still, fun to look at where the hobby was (1/1 and 1/25th) three decades ago...

TIM

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Cool project Dennis! I'll be tuned in 'til the end! Can't wait to see what you do with this! 

Just an FYI. Those wheels have plenty of material to spare to open up the spokes and it makes a world of difference in their appearance. 

Glad you like it!

And thanks for the heads up on the wheels, that probably wouldn’t have occurred to me. I’ll give it it a look. 

4 hours ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

THIS IS GOING TO FUN!

Not to hijack your thread...

I’m glad you shared your truck and hoped you would after seeing those pics this morning. ? I love everything about it! Who knows, maybe someone else will pop out of the woodwork with a version they did? Let’s hope so!

4 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Dennis....needless to say I am beyond honored that a model builder with your credentials would be looking to a project I did for inspiration and ideas.  Thank you for the  very big nod and needless to say I will be following this one with great interest.   Particularly impressed with your work on the header flanges, and the old school intake/carb setup!

Like Dennis, if I were doing the build today, I would be finding some different wheels,  And along with implementing a Ford in a Ford, those squiggle graphics and bright pink paint would surely be replaced something more in tune with today's tastes.  Still, fun to look at where the hobby was (1/1 and 1/25th) three decades ago...

TIM

I was hoping this would excite you, glad it did! I’ve been wanting to get going on this project for a good while now and actually the clincher was recently picking up a complete Revell ‘67 Chevelle Pro Street engine parts set from eBay which included the Supertrap exhaust like you used. While I’m changing some things that is one of the must-have details. I also appreciate the sentiments regarding my abilities and not to get all gushy here but your influences over the years is a big part of what got me to where I am with model building, so thank you! ?

And, while my truck won’t be pink rest assured that it will definitely be some equally obnoxious 80’s colors!!! ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Spex84 said:

Rad. I'm loving it so far...the inspiration, the build (that engine rocks, haha) and RRR's version. This thread is off to a very good start!

Thanks, Chris! For someone who has only witnessed me build strictly traditional hot rods you’re about to witness my hidden inner 80’s emerge. ???

33 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

What a great start, really interesting to read the story from both sides - as a 13-year old I bet you never thought you'd be on a thing called the internet corresponding with the author.

Look forward to seeing it progress.

I see that Tim influenced a lot of young boys who should’ve been concentrating on their studies!

Back when I was a kid and I proudly showed my father my latest creation he’d say, “If you put that kind of effort into your studies you’d get straight As!”  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

What a great start, really interesting to read the story from both sides - as a 13-year old I bet you never thought you'd be on a thing called the internet corresponding with the author.

Look forward to seeing it progress.

I absolutely never imagined that which proves that there are actually some positive attributes of the internet. ?

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I see that Tim influenced a lot of young boys who should’ve been concentrating on their studies!

Back when I was a kid and I proudly showed my father my latest creation he’d say, “If you put that kind of effort into your studies you’d get straight As!”  

LMAO! Those exact words left my fathers mouth countless times in my youth. Looking back on it as a 40 year old, if what I was doing in school was half as interesting as building models I probably would have made a better effort. ?

51 minutes ago, Dennis Lacy said:

LMAO! Those exact words left my fathers mouth countless times in my youth. Looking back on it as a 40 year old, if what I was doing in school was half as interesting as building models I probably would have made a better effort. ?

I guess it was a compliment that we did Grade A work!  ?

UPDATE!

Back at it and now it's time to focus on updating the chassis. The first order of business was to modify the under bed supports to accommodate Z'ing the frame. The original front-to-back supports would be in the way so I installed a pair of left-to-right braces made from Evergreen rectangle rod then removed the middle sections of the original supports. (Original top, modified bottom.)

1602472629105-vi.jpg

1602472661808-vi.jpg

Here you can see in the original article that Tim Z'd the back of his frame to help get the back end low. He was able to do this using a single frame and then trimming the rear cross member to still fit beneath the bed. 

1601267120644-vi.jpg

I approached mine different by cutting off the back end of the frame and building a new rear section from Evergreen rectangle stock. I stacked the front edge on top of the original frame rails and then angle cut the tops and bottoms to create the "Z" look. I then added an aditional cross brace and fore/aft member which will make more sense later.

1602472920500-vi.jpg

1602472940304-vi.jpg

1602472950998-vi.jpg

Here you can see how the Z'd frame fits up into the modified under bed structure.

1602473087887-vi.jpg

Tim used a modified Monogram Jaguar XKE independent rear suspension which he fit the modified original rear cross member.

1601267151266-vi.jpg

1601267165814-vi.jpg

I don't have a Jag IRS on-hand so I decided to go with another staple hot rod IRS, a Corvette unit. This one comes from AMT's 1934 5-Window Coupe Street Rod. 

1602473336742-vi.jpg

1602473439646-vi.jpg

1602473467378-vi.jpg

1602473486661-vi.jpg

1602473491660-vi.jpg

The whole reason for running a Jag or Vette IRS in one of these Model A pickups is the impressive wide open view from the rear to show it off!

1602473517686-vi.jpg

Tim built his transmission mount and center "X" structure using pieces cut up from Monogram's '37 Ford creating a very stout and realistic looking frame.

1601267133532-vi.jpg

I started to modify the center cross member the same way Tim did, by cutting the center member out of a Monogram '37 Ford frame (left) and trimming it down to fit inside the stock Model A center member (middle). A stock Revell A frame is shown (right) for reference. I didn't get to creating the "X" braces yet, that will have to wait for next time.

1602473179132-vi.jpg

I made some front engine brackets from .040" bottom plates and .020" side gussets. I had to get the engine as far forward as possible so the tunnel ram induction will clear the firewall.

1602473210058-vi.jpg

1602473223600-vi.jpg

1602473255389-vi.jpg

1602473064368-vi.jpg

I don't have the rear wheels adapted to the Corvette IRS yet and I didn't get to the front axle set up so I simply taped the frame to the fender unit and then set the fenders onto the wheels and tires. With the engine located and mocked up we can at least get a look at how that stacked tunnel ram small block fills the engine bay with the air filters just above the top of the cowl. I couldn't have hoped for a better result!

1602472975749-vi.jpg

1602472992911-vi.jpg

1602473044420-vi.jpg

1602473023939-vi.jpg

That's where I ended up this afternoon. Let me know what you guys think! @tim boyd 

• Like 3

Dennis....yeah, I've been waiting for your next update.  Great progress.  

When an author does a how-to like that one in the mag, the hope is that people use it for inspiration and then attempt the same thing on their own.  Even better is when they make their own adaptations and revise, personalize, or improve upon what I did in the original article.  In that regard, it's really inspiring to me personally to see where you are headed with this project. 

One other comment - your excellent and numerous pictures do a much better job of conveying what you are doing than is possible in a magazine article.  While I still strongly believe this hobby strongly deserves its own, stand-alone model car magazine, I must admit that the online forum format is sure a great addition to the hobby and the ability of an author/builder to convey - and teach - what he or she is doing with a project.  

TIM 

PS - that mockup is sure lookin' good!  TB 

7 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Dennis....yeah, I've been waiting for your next update.  Great progress.  

When an author does a how-to like that one in the mag, the hope is that people use it for inspiration and then attempt the same thing on their own.  Even better is when they make their own adaptations and revise, personalize, or improve upon what I did in the original article.  In that regard, it's really inspiring to me personally to see where you are headed with this project. 

One other comment - your excellent and numerous pictures do a much better job of conveying what you are doing than is possible in a magazine article.  While I still strongly believe this hobby strongly deserves its own, stand-alone model car magazine, I must admit that the online forum format is sure a great addition to the hobby and the ability of an author/builder to convey - and teach - what he or she is doing with a project.  

TIM 

PS - that mockup is sure lookin' good!  TB 

It’s like when a guy buys an already finished street rod and then changes the wheels and some other details to make it feel like their own. This has been a project I struggled with starting because I had my own ideas to personalize it but I also want it to be immediately recognizable as inspired by your article. I saw RRR’s white truck above several years ago in some pictures he texted one day of how full his display cabinet was getting. I noticed a few models I had never seen before, pointed that truck out and a few minutes later he sent me pictures of it. While the truck is very much his own spin I immediately knew your article was his inspiration which I asked and he confirmed. So I hope that’s where I end up with this project. I’m still torn on the wheels and part of me wants to use the same original issue ‘37 Sedan Coddington wheels you did to keep that connection unmistakable. 

I really enjoy sharing my process hoping that what I’m doing can help someone else out with their scale hot rods. I greatly enjoy and appreciate lots of pictures and thorough descriptions from other modelers  so I do the same. There’s a lot of negative aspects that the World Wide Web has brought out but one of the positives are hobby forums like this one where we can all really go deep and get answers to our questions. Back in the day if I was reading Modelers Corner and wanted something clarified I was out of luck. But, now here we are interacting on this forum. It’s a trip!

• Like 1