Model Cars Magazine Forum

I need to add a couple thin styrene strips to the edges of a hood to widen it. Because of it being such a fragile glue point, and that it will have to be worked on for shaping, I was wondering what glue would be the strongest for this application. Liquid,  super,  epoxy ? Any input would be appreciated. 

If both the hood and strip are styrene then any liquid cement should do the trick.  Those cements actually dissolve the plastic's surfaces and "weld" the parts together.  The basically become a single piece. That should result in the strongest possible joint.  I like the Tamiya extra thin cement, and I would also wait couple of days before shaping or sanding the glued pieces (to allow for all the solvent to evaporate).

I would also use Tamiya extra thin. Rather than trying to glue two thin edges together, I lengthened this hood by glueing a wider strip flat to the back edge, forming a “T”. Once it was thoroughly dry, I filed and sanded the inside and outside down to the same thickness as the hood.

421BAFB8-5B77-48BB-B9FC-41393DDE50DB.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

That's two for liquid. Not sure which brand I have, it might just be an old bottle of testors. 

Testors is just some MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) in a small bottle.  MEK evaporates fairly slowly. While that is desired in some instances I think here I would use a faster evaporating liquid cement. That is the cement both of us recommended. That cement evaporates much faster than MEK alone.

I never liked the testors stuff because of the real slow cure time. Good to know about the Tamiya.

If you want faster evaporating, use methylene chloride, aka Weld-On 3 or Weld-On 4.

IPS Weld-On 3 Acrylic Plastic Cement, 1 Pint and Weld-On Applicator Bottle  with Needle, Clear (1): Contact Cements: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I do a lot of splicing and adding styrene to edges for better fit. I always use Tamiya Extra Thin Cement. You can't beat it IMO. 

They make a quick setting version that is my favorite.

24B53611-7AE0-48AD-8D38-D60571E04B9C.jpeg

Yes, a methylene chloride cement would be best IMHO. Instead of cutting strips, glue your hood edge-on to a flat sheet of styrene and then carve it down to shape later. I'm planning to do exactly this to widen the hood of the AMT '55 Bel Air. 

Thanks everyone for the input. I will order some new Tamiya liquid glue.

Another vote for liquid. Also, I have found with using liquid glue due to the melt/weld of it, more often than not after proper sanding, no filler is needed.....

9 hours ago, tbill said:

Another vote for liquid. Also, I have found with using liquid glue due to the melt/weld of it, more often than not after proper sanding, no filler is needed.....

True, but I also experienced shrinkage (slight sink line) at the joint (I assume due to the solvent evaporating from the plastic joint).  That is why I recommend gluing the parts together, then waiting (few days) for all the solvent to evaporate, and only then sanding and finishing the part.

14 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

They make a quick setting version that is my favorite.

24B53611-7AE0-48AD-8D38-D60571E04B9C.jpeg

The quick setting is the best glue I have ever used, love it.