Model Cars Magazine Forum

This eBay seller is nuts...

19 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

Cost is relative to the amount of money you have. $1000 for most people is unreasonable to spend for a model kit. However, there is some economic inequality in the world, and that same $1000 price tag does not impact some people’s financial lives at all.  
I remember saving for my first “new-to me” car. I happened to be in Las Vegas a few months after I bought it and walked by a $1000 minimum bid blackjack table. The only person playing was betting and losing more money on every hand than my wife and I saved in one year. 

I bet people in Bangladesh think throwing down $30 for a model kit is extravagant. 

Exactly.  To the right person that price is reasonable. The old adage if you have to ask how much then you can't afford it comes to mind. There are people that can afford whatever they want without worrying about the cost.

Things are all relative to what's important to someone. Would I pay that price. No. But that doesn't mean that someone else won't. 

On 11/6/2020 at 10:28 AM, Tom Geiger said:

There used to be a vendor at NNL East who had “The wall of dreams”. He had a stock of rare old annuals everyone drooled over!  He had these priced high. Often $200-300 each. 

There were people who were furious.. they’d come to me to complain that the show needed to “make him price kits reasonably!”  First, we cant make anyone do anything.. but I’d ask the complainers what was “reasonably”?

The answers were all over the place based on what they’d want to pay! Everything from “no kit is worth more than $100”. down to people who would reference that kits once sold for $2!  

Of course if those same folks owned the kits and were selling, the prices would be much higher!

At the end of each show I’d see people that had bought some of those kits and I’d ask. Yes they paid the price. They wanted the kit for years and finally got it. So the seller found willing participants.

The vendor did have a good business plan. Rare old kits are hard to find! If he priced them at $50 each, folks would have maimed each other to get at them!  He would have sold out, and would have no stock for subsequent shows.  But if he sold 12-24 kits at a $100+ profit, he’d make his money and could find a dozen or two kits to fill those slots in his inventory. Makes sense to me!  

End of story is that the kits were his property and he could ask what he wanted. But if there were no buyers he wouldn’t be at the shows. Nobody was forcing people to buy at those prices, but enough did to make it a viable business!

All valid points, Tom. I'm now starting to understand why some folks charge ridiculous money on these "rare, hard-to-find, and/or out-of-production" kits AND are willing to pay those crazy prices. As several pointed out... each to his own.

Had to laugh over the "$50 cheeseburger" comment....

No surprise... all the rich folks in NYC can afford it. Their cheeseburgers must be made from Kobe beef. Oh yeah, Kobe beef is awesome tasting but very expensive. My local deli used to carry Kobe roast beef but no more. The distributor told them they had to buy like a case load of them if they want to continue to sell their products. They told them no way.

i have bought their Kobe roast beef from the deli in the past. It’s Oh My God delicious. It’s so tender like butter. Even a quarter pound of it is expensive (around $7). Worth every morsel because I’m the only one that will eat Kobe roast beef cold cuts in my household. Lol

7 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Bah, Kobe beef is overrated, half the time it's not even the real thing. You don't know beef until you've tried Welsh beef. If you tasted a beef burger made of Welsh beef £50 would seem like a bargain! xD

BEEF!

Maybe so but Hereford, Texas is America’s beef capital of the world. We don’t get beef from across the great big pond. :)

Hey, some people are willing to spend some good money on Paul H's kits and build models. But I his models are unique creations, not some run-of-the-mill "rare" older injection molded plastic kits.  Way out of my price range, but someone out there is enjoying those models.

PH77_T-Bird2.jpg.7d1c68d7d0d90b0378f9afed2277fc66.jpg

PH77_T-Bird3.jpg.cfe2988727b2e78b39fd1dd01fb79862.jpg

Edited by peteski

El Roberto... it depends on the collection on what they collect. They may think were odd as well. How many of you have a sizable model kit stash that you know you’ll never complete every single one of them? Call it “building your stash” but no matter how you slice it, you’re a collector.

How many of you still have your old baseball cards from your youth? Why are you holding on to them? To pass it along to your kids? Your grandkids? Sports trading cards is a whole different hobby. I’ve still have mine going back to 1980, a small handful from the 70s. Sports memorabilia collectors are no different than model kit collectors. The difference today is the chase cards are more valuable than regular cards. I stopped collecting baseball cards years ago when the market got flooded with so many cards manufacturers and different chase cards. It’s become impossible to keep up and expensive. 

Collecting sports trading cards nowadays is like playing the Lottery or stock market. Every pack you open, you might get real lucky with that elusive high sought after card in the pack of cards but 99% of the time you get well, basic random cards. You may find some you need to complete a set or doubles (duplicate) cards you don’t need. As far as players cards goes, you never know who’s going to go up in value or who’s going to tank in value. 

10 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

El Roberto... it depends on the collection on what they collect. They may think were odd as well. How many of you have a sizable model kit stash that you know you’ll never complete every single one of them? Call it “building your stash” but no matter how you slice it, you’re a collector.

Like I said.

Collectors are an odd bunch! ;)

Steve

11 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

it depends on the collection on what they collect. They may think were odd as well. How many of you have a sizable model kit stash that you know you’ll never complete every single one of them? Call it “building your stash” but no matter how you slice it, you’re a collector.

The Collyer Brothers were first class collectors.

A chassis of of a vintage automobile was found in the basement of Homer and  Langley Collyer's brownstone. The b… | Collyer brothers, Secret passages,  Nyc brownstone Tweedland" The Gentlemen's club: Collyer Brothers

5 hours ago, GMP440 said:

Both the Challenger and Mustang model never sold.  Seller relisted them.

And he will be relisting them for a year or two (or longer)., EBay fee structure allows this for free.  I have been watching several outrageously-priced model and non-model related  listing for extended period of time, and no bites.  But seller is patiently looking for a "collector" with lots of money.  I have also seen one such listing sell after about 2 years.