Model Cars Magazine Forum

My What If Bugatti LSR Streamliner

Howdy, This is the lowdown on my 'What If' Bugatti LSR car. One day I was searching for a model of the Jean Bugatti conceived Land speed record car.  Found a couple of sketches and a couple of models of his concept.  His original concept had three typ.57 engines with the drive behind and a rather fat aerodynamic body.  I wanted to add a Bugatti to my 1/24th collection of LSR cars but wasn't sold on Jean's design so... What if I could work with him on developing a unique and successful car?  What would I bring to the table design wise? 

I wanted to use the big Autorail / Royale engines modified to a twin cams and supercharged configuration.  I first toyed with the front engine concept. but wasn't convinced with having the driver sticking up into the air stream. so I decided to put the driver up front and streamlining the body.

01 JH Prototype Bug LSR Sketch.jpg

02 JH Prototype Bug LSR Sketch Color 9-14-19.jpg

I am fortunate to have the special set of skills to bring to this project.  Some automotive knowledge, AutoCAD drafting , and Photoshop.

Using section views of the type 57 engine and it to a section drawing of the Royale bore and stroke of 4.94 x 5.125 in. I could do a rough engine layout and I basing the wheel size on the Royale tire size (6.75 x 35) and later found that they matched the tires on the Golden Arrow model from 'Profile 24' so I had some proven tires. I could now begin building the body loosely based on the Autrail and type 31 Tank both of which set speed records. To keep the profile low I went with the driver sitting low and in front of the business end of the car. 

I went about designing the CAD drawings in full size which I could scale down and print out plan views and elevations.  I was also fortunate to have a large format printer to plot out full 1/24 scale plans.  These I laid out with extra parts to use in the model parts layout.

03 Concept Development CAD layout.jpg

21 CAD Wire Frame_LRG.jpg

Edited by Big John
added photo

This was to be a curbside model so I didn't go into all the internal structures and running gear but gave a reasonable space for transfer cases etc.

The next step was to break out the renshape and paste the paper patterns on for rough cutting and preliminary sanding.  Here are some shots of the rough shaped parts using coat hanger wire for connecting pins.

07 Rough Shape.jpg

08 Rough Shape Rear.jpg

Edited by Big John

My original layout had flat sides on the wheel spats which I decided didn't fit the Deco liner feel so I made them more curved and sleek looking.  Any time I need multiple items I will make resin copies, and always save the original prototype.  Here I've used plex rod to make a rough casting that I can work into the intake scoops then cast the finished scoop x6.

04 Casting Patterns.jpg

05 Scoop Detail.jpg

I like to make patterns so both sides of a the car match.  And cut out a pattern in steel sheet to use in incising the exhaust ports.  This way I could use a dremmel bit without too  much chance of over shooting the borders.  The exhaust pipes are from some 'teardrop' shaped aluminum tubing that I think is for sail boat masts or airplane struts, but makes a cool exhaust pipe in this case.

06 Templates.jpg

05 Exhaust Template.jpg

Edited by Big John

On my rocket car I developed a technique for the fin/wing using a rod and wrapping it within thin styrene sheets cut to size, glued the edges together and then filled with resin. As noted by a fellow contributor, can't find the reference now but, Plans are only suggestions and guides, reality is what's left at the end.

10 Tail Profile.jpg

11 Tail Construction.jpg

Edited by Big John
Spelling

I am trying to decide whether I want to add louvers to the back panels for radiator exhaust.  Innies or outies?  Innies I will have to carve into the block, outies I am considering casting.  I am using a technique that I've adapted from another mag. tip page, using alum. foil to make a quick mold and then pour, in this case one drop does it, resin go make copies.

15 Louver Location.jpg

05 Raised Louvers.jpg

Edited by Big John
Photo Change

And finally... what with the cold weather driving me out of the shop I've fleshed out the engine design. I upped the bore from 4.939 to 5" shortened the stroke to 4.75" to =746.13 cu. in. or 12.23 Liters.  Twin cams with 4 valves per. Supercharged with variable boost setting, and twin headers. Hoping to get at least. 800hp @ 3,000 rpm. Per engine.  The original Royale / Autorail had 275hp @1,700 rpm with Very restrictive intake and exhaust on regular gas not avgas as I would propose.

10 39 LSR Engine v3 Right Side smll.jpg

11 39 LSR Engine v3 Left Side smll.jpg

Hi John!

I'm a lifelong fan of LSR cars, having read a lot about that "discipline". Wow, your car is world class stuff, bravo! The renshape medium is ideal for that type of construction, and the details you threw in are impressive. 

By the way, I vote for the color combo in the top picture...

Regards,

CT 

Wonderful thread John and it's a pleasure to see your skills.  Love renshape too and it really does present well with your body. The reference pics you shared and that of the chassis in black and white are phenomenal. Thanks for sharing that as well.  For what it's worth, I like the 3rd body color choice.  Your 1st pic is probably more in line / contemporary for the era you're building for and is nice as well, I think you have a winner no matter what you choose.   Cheers, tim

John, this is a great project! I fell in love with Bugattis as a kid and I have toyed with the idea of updating the Royale engine with dual overhead cams and supercharging, as well as altering the bore and stroke. Are you planning on building an engine to display next to your streamliner? Thank you so much for sharing your design and construction techniques- this is what the forum is all about!

This thread needs an instant star ...    the design reminds me of the Bugatti train engine designs. And also of the wonderful Harry Miller LSR design -  his was front engine - of course -  do you use those random tooth files to shape the renshape ?  Forget the maker - really great stuff ...

destined for the GSL ‘22 ???