Model Cars Magazine Forum

Late 1950's style 1930 Model A Phaeton Hot Rod

tim boyd

This was a simple/quicky 2015 kitbash of the most recent reissue of Monogram's 1930 Model A Phaeton kit. It was inspired by, though not an exact copy, of the Monogram "Red Chariot" kit of the early 1960's.  (The Red Chariot was a one-version kit based on the tooling set for Monogram's original 1930 Model A Phaeton Customizing kit from 1961.)

Parts came from the latest version of Monogram's 1930 Model A Woody kit, and the "Blue Bandito" reissue of the original Monogram "Blue Beetle" 1929 Model A pickup kit.  The paint is 1956 Buick Seminole Red, a popular color for 1/1 scale late 1950's and early 1960's hot rod projects, sourced from MCW Automotive Finishes.   It has never been seen until now....thanks for looking.  TIM 

DSC 0364

DSC 0370

DSC 0374

DSC 0376

Edited by tim boyd

16 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Very cool Tim!  I just built a Red Chariot as part of the 24 Hour Build. 

I notice that you added separate door handles and Blue Beetle buckets.  What are those tail lights?  They are neat!

It is a pretty cool build. The taillights appear to the custom units from AMT 34 Ford Truck, inverted.

15 hours ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

Nice old school tub! 

18 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Very cool Tim!  I just built a Red Chariot as part of the 24 Hour Build. 

I notice that you added separate door handles and Blue Beetle buckets.  What are those tail lights?  They are neat!

I agree, where are they from?

When I saw these questions, I was a bit mystified myself.  Then I thought....did they come from the AMT (nee Lingberg) 1934 Ford Pickup?  But didn't have time to check.  Now thanks to feedback from Dave and Ron I think we can confirm that's where the came from. 

Thanks for the comments and feedback, all.....TIM 

That is so neat. It has a more believable look than the Red Chariot.  The Cadlllac from the Blue Bandito looks right at home in there.  This may sound funny but my favourite feature is the thin line of red seat snugged up against the black tonneau - it reminds me of the  contrasting piping used on by some upholsterers. The realistic sized tyres help the look a bunch as well. And the 32 grile was such a popular swap, then and now, wow, it all just comes together!

Now I'm going to go with the old adage " Great minds think alike" and share my Red Chariot.  Like yours, I used the re-issued Early Iron series tub to start with.  In an unbelievable stroke of luck, I walked into an antique store in Pomona back in 2017 and there was the original six - in- one box for the Model A Tourer customizing kit.  It was something like $5 or $8 so I grabbed it, only to hear it rattle.  Whipping the lid off, what do I find. All the custom parts, and only the custom parts, still on the sprues!  Someone build a showroom stocker and left all the cool bits behind. Nearly snapped my wrist trying to get my wallet out fast enough.  The modelling fairies were smiling on me that day!!!

Cheers

Alan

20210301_211109[1].jpg

13 hours ago, alan barton said:

That is so neat. It has a more believable look than the Red Chariot.  The Cadlllac from the Blue Bandito looks right at home in there.  This may sound funny but my favourite feature is the thin line of red seat snugged up against the black tonneau - it reminds me of the  contrasting piping used on by some upholsterers. The realistic sized tyres help the look a bunch as well. And the 32 grile was such a popular swap, then and now, wow, it all just comes together!

Now I'm going to go with the old adage " Great minds think alike" and share my Red Chariot.  Like yours, I used the re-issued Early Iron series tub to start with.  In an unbelievable stroke of luck, I walked into an antique store in Pomona back in 2017 and there was the original six - in- one box for the Model A Tourer customizing kit.  It was something like $5 or $8 so I grabbed it, only to hear it rattle.  Whipping the lid off, what do I find. All the custom parts, and only the custom parts, still on the sprues!  Someone build a showroom stocker and left all the cool bits behind. Nearly snapped my wrist trying to get my wallet out fast enough.  The modelling fairies were smiling on me that day!!!

Cheers

Alan

20210301_211109[1].jpg

I have looked for thos wheel covers for a while and can never find them on eBay..

On 3/1/2021 at 6:40 AM, tim boyd said:

When I saw these questions, I was a bit mystified myself.  Then I thought....did they come from the AMT (nee Lingberg) 1934 Ford Pickup?  But didn't have time to check.  Now thanks to feedback from Dave and Ron I think we can confirm that's where the came from. 

Thanks for the comments and feedback, all.....TIM 

We can indeed. You are correct sir!

[img src=2v2aoWB4yx29seC.jpg]