Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tuskegee Airmen

MJO

Well, I had wanted to build a WWII diorama with a fighter from that era for some time.  My Father served as a gunner radio operator on a B-24 Liberator, hence my fascination with aircraft from all eras but WWII in particular.  This diorama started off modestly but as all of you know, the first thought is not necessarily what the final product will be.  So, I have included some starter photos and then of course the final outcome.  This particular Mustang is not the Tamiya but rather the Revell P-51D-5NA.  I detailed it as though it was the Tamiya kit and the results you can evaluate for yourself.  I really like the airfield, using many WWII photos from Ramitelli Airfield and the particular P51D is intact an unidentified by pilots name from Ramitelli circa 1947-48. I also include the photo I used to create my Mustang.  One side light (photos included), the tail on a 5NA was incorrect for a P51D, and made the necessary change to back date it.  Hoping you enjoy seeing this as much as I enjoyed creating it, thanks.

IMG_1280 copy.jpg

IMG_1301.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

IMG_1403.jpg

IMG_1760.jpg

IMG_1875.jpg

IMG_1999.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg

IMG_2008.jpg

IMG_2125.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

IMG_2190.jpg

Side by Side.jpg

Edited by MJO
Forgot one photo

There is a lot of history to be found and perhaps if you are like I am, the story historically with regard to the Tuskegee Airmen and the amazing job they did while serving this country joes along way to show their Patriotism and valor.  Thanks Jim B

Very realistic looking diorama and tribute to those brave Americans.  Somewhere on my computer is a picture of some of the remaining members next to my Mustang convertible they rode in the parade in DC a few years ago.  This poster they signed is on my garage wall.  

76A1AB3C-B492-4CDB-B983-5AFBCF700A60.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...