Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model car contests

I'm going to offer two scenarios, and I would be curious to hear how you feel about them...this relates to model car contests.

1) Extra consideration (and points) are given to an entry if the builder is young, disabled, etc.

2) The same builder has the best models in multiple classes, and is given the multiple awards. Or, he isn't awarded all the classes because it is desired to "spread the wealth". 

2 hours ago, Repstock said:

I'm going to offer two scenarios, and I would be curious to hear how you feel about them...this relates to model car contests.

1) Extra consideration (and points) are given to an entry if the builder is young, disabled, etc.

2) The same builder has the best models in multiple classes, and is given the multiple awards. Or, he isn't awarded all the classes because it is desired to "spread the wealth". 

There already are Junior classes at most shows, which depending on the event already don't have very many entries to being with as it is...I've found most people who are disabled want to be treated normally and don't want to be patronized by giving them "bonus points" for a condition that shouldn't be what defines them as a builder.

As for the second point most contests don't allow "sweeps" where one modeler can take multiple awards within the same categories. They get one award for the highest scoring model. This can of course lead to the phenomenon of "category shopping" where people try to wedge things into categories they don't necessarily really belong in, but if you're willing to go those lengths to win a $5 trophy, most clubs are going to take your entry money. Shows are ever more expensive to hold and a lot of times you're just trying to break even.

Edited by niteowl7710

21 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

There already are Junior classes at most shows, which depending on the event already don't have very many entries to being with as it is...I've found most people who are disabled want to be treated normally and don't want to be patronized by giving them "bonus points" for a condition that shouldn't be what defines them as a builder.

As for the second point most contests don't allow "sweeps" where one modeler can take multiple awards within the same categories. They get one award for the highest scoring model. This can of course lead to the phenomenon of "category shopping" where people try to wedge things into categories they don't necessarily really belong in, but if you're willing to go those lengths to win a $5 trophy, most clubs are going to take your entry money. Shows are ever more expensive to hold and a lot of times you're just trying to break even.

Unless the showed is judged, then putting a multiple models is the same category in a participant and/or popular vote show would in theory dilute the votes for the person that entered them.  Since there are not many truly judged shows except IPMS events, they have strict sweeps rules.  If someone build six models and enters six different classes that’s fine as long as the model fits that category.  With no shows for the last two springs in most of the country there will probably be a glut of models showing up on contest tables later this year.

"Spread the wealth"?  That makes no sense.  If someone builds multiple models, enters them into appropriate categories, and they are all good enough to be judged as the top models in those categories, then why should that person be denied all the recognition they deserve?  Period!  Otherwise, what's the point entering the contest?  This sounds like a variation of the "everybody gets a trophy" mentality. We then should just give trophy to everybody just for showing up! 

Absolutely agree, Pete!  If you go the Olympics, you can win as many gold medals as you are capable of winning, as our Aussie swimmers have proven many times. Should someone living in the middle of the Sahara get preference because he is nowhere near water - nope!

But on contests in general, I am surprised NNLs haven't completely put them to sleep.  I assisted judging our club's quarterly competition last week and it was one of the toughest thing I have ever done. We have a very uniformly high standard in our club and there was absolutely nothing in it.  How do you choose between an impeccably finished Revell 69 Camaro and an equally well finished Japanese kit of a Datsun 240Z with a quarter of the parts?  I gave it to the Camaro based on degree of difficulty but felt I had treated the Datsun builder badly as a result - he shouldn't be penalised for building the car he loved that just happened to be a simpler kit.

People's Choice and Modeller's Choice - the only way for me!

Cheers

Alan

I agree with Alan about the People's Choice and Modeller's Choice.  I've never been to a model car show or entered one in a show but have been to many Cruise-in's and car/truck shows with my 1:1 1949 Chevy truck.  The clubs keep track of who wins each show and try not to pick the same car/truck each show.  As mentioned, to spread the wealth. The clubs are slowly turning torwards having what is called a "Show & Shine".  No trophy.  Just come and show off your car/truck, enjoy the food, and the Hot Rod sene.      

For me personally I don't enter contests, not that they are not good they challenge builders to do better. I have entered them in the past but after doing my best effort (at that point with my current amount of skill) I never seemed to win and it was very frustrating. On some occasions the judging was a bit politically motivated and hard to come out ahead when competing with one of the favorites. 

Contests still help push me to improve my skills even though I don't enter them. I came to the conclusion that I build for myself and not to beat out other builders. 

I agree that "the best model" should win.

But, the problem with not "spreading the wealth" is that if you have one or two consistently great modelers that make multiple entries in a particular show every year, and they take home all of the trophies every time, then, as Peter said, the "what's the point of entering the contest" attitude is what all of the other contestants begin to think, and pretty soon you don't have a show anymore.

"Spreading the wealth" helps keep people coming back.

If the guy who thinks he's being slighted because he feels his model is better than one of the winners in a given contest, it's better to lose him the next year than it is to lose a couple of dozen others that feel like there's no point in competing anymore.

A couple of years ago, I attended a small show in South central Minnesota.

The automotive entries were very limited, but not knowing how small some of the categories might be, I brought along 3 factory stock models.

It turned out that there were a total of six models, (including my 3) in the factory stock category.

There were to be 3 awards given for each category, and I don't want to sound conceited, but if any of you would have been there, it would have been very obvious that my 3 entries should have taken all three awards.

The other three entrants appeared to have been built by a novice.

Heavily orange peeled paint, none, or very little trim foiled or painted, no washes or detailing on grilles or wheels, etc, etc.

I guess you could say that I was a little surprised that I only took home one medal from that show, but in hindsight, I can understand why the judges awarded second and third place to a couple of the other models.

In my opinion, the optics would have been worse if one person had taken home all three medals from that category.

Anyway, If I attend that show in the future, at least I know what to expect.

We just have to accept the fact that politics are involved with the decisions at many shows. 

Steve

My club has been organizing a model show/contest for over 25 years.  It is a judged contest with multiple categories, and awards given for the top 3 places.  Every year when we discuss the next contest, we mention possibly going NNL-style (no judging), and reject it every time.  The club tried that once (before I joined) and it was a failure.  Let's face it - modelers like to receive "hardware" (trophies or plaques) for their efforts.  Over the years we have not noticed any serious drop in attendance. NNL also has its problems (like ballot box stuffing).

I agree that I have witnessed in contests I attended that some superb modeler has been picking up the top honors in some category for several years.  But generally such modeler puts so much time into a single superb quality model that he only enters one or two models in the contest (and previous year's winners are not eligible) that he only walks away with couple trophies. That not only doesn't discourage others from entering, it makes them try harder next time.  Plus those high-quality modelers don't last very long, they usually "burn out" or move away,  so the field stays open.

I'm the contest photographer and I've been told by some modelers that they find that a photo taken of their model (to be published in a magazine) is more important than winning a trophy. And I take plenty of photos.

As I mentioned, I really don't see how limiting what someone can win, and spreading the wealth could be beneficial.   Sure, there will always be some "sourpuss" complain that some modeler is "hogging" all the trophies, but as I said, in majority of cases it makes other modelers work harder to unseat the "master".

Edited by peteski

I'd say most contests (like real car shows) have an element of politics and subjectivity. I haven't entered one in years, but if I do I go in with the expectation that I may disagree with the judges decisions, and don't sweat it.

I vehemently disagree with the "everyone gets a trophy" culture. The best model should win regardless if the builder has been wracking up awards. If you are an exceptional builder you are likely not to attend either if you know that the awards will be spread about equally with little consideration to merit. 

I've going to contests for about 30 years now and I would like to start with this.  Although I enjoy the competition end of it, I would go if I had nothing to enter(and have) just because my biggest pleasure is spending time with other like minded people and getting inspiration for my next build.  

I don't recall ever attending a contest that didn't have a no sweeps rule and I understand and agree with the idea.   I view it this way.  We are not rewarding the model, but picking the best three modeler builders in each category.  In some respects it may limit the number of entries because people don't want to compete with themselves but not that I have ever noticed.  If I enter multiple models in a category, then I am looking for the judges to tell me which one is the best of what I built, not that I out built the other builders.

Frankly, I am good with that because I have discovered that trophies don't mean much after a few years.  I actually just threw out a few boxes of old trophies because I couldn't remember which model they belonged to.  I only kept a few first place trophies that meant something special eg: Tamiya Con, GSL, IPMS Nats, Eagle Quest and a few others.  After 30 years I just don't need boxes of trophies.  What I want is to keep the memories of all the great times I had with other modelers alive!

Yes I agree, even though having your model judged as one of the trophy winners is nice, the camaraderie, shooting "bull" with friends and other modelers, and often picking up techniques or ideas from other modelers are the best reasons for attending contests. 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2021 at 10:06 AM, peteski said:

My club has been organizing a model show/contest for over 25 years.  It is a judged contest with multiple categories, and awards given for the top 3 places.  Every year when we discuss the next contest, we mention possibly going NNL-style (no judging), and reject it every time.  The club tried that once (before I joined) and it was a failure.  Let's face it - modelers like to receive "hardware" (trophies or plaques) for their efforts.  Over the years we have not noticed any serious drop in attendance. NNL also has its problems (like ballot box stuffing).

I agree that I have witnessed in contests I attended that some superb modeler has been picking up the top honors in some category for several years.  But generally such modeler puts so much time into a single suburb quality model that he only enters one or two models in the contest (and previous year's winners are not eligible) that he only walks away with couple trophies. That not only doesn't discourage others from entering, it makes them try harder next time.  Plus those high-quality modelers don't last very long, they usually "burn out" or move away,  so the field stays open.

I'm the contest photographer and I've been told by some modelers that they find that a photo taken of their model (to be published in a magazine) is more important than winning a trophy. And I take plenty of photos.

As I mentioned, I really don't see how limiting what someone can win, and spreading the wealth could be beneficial.   Sure, there will always be some "sourpuss" complain that some modeler is "hogging" all the trophies, but as I said, in majority of cases it makes other modelers work harder to unseat the "master".

I have to agree with Pete, I like contests but would much rather have a picture in a magazine. It’s kind of like the golden egg. I hooked up with a couple of good friends at a IPMS show many years ago and learned from them , what to do. They were contest winners and one was a contributing editor in fine scale mag,  So my skills improved and the awards started comming but nothing beats the photo. I keep trying and learning all the time. Some like contests and shows while others do not. Still it’s a great way to meet new friends and learn something along the way.