Model Cars Magazine Forum

One of life's essential questions ...

John1955

If you sacrificed and bought a very expensive bottle of wine and were enjoying a glass of it and a fly landed in the wine and was struggling to get out, what would you do? Would you pour the wine and fly down the drain or on the ground? Would you remove the fly and drink the wine anyway?

If I can't reach it with my finger I use a spoon. I then go back to enjoying the wine while watching the drunken fly trying to fly away, it can be interesting sometimes.  

Fruit flies and gnats routinely find their way into my coffee.

They don't drink much before they drown, they don't affect the flavor, and they're easy to remove.

No way in jell I'd waste a glass of '69 Chateau Lafite Rothschild just 'cause it had a bug in it.   B)

1 hour ago, slusher said:

I don’t drink but I would pour it out until the fly came out.  You have no idea where the fly was last. It might have been on road kill .

Some people eat roadkill (with or without flies on it). :D

But seriously, there are so many germs, viruses and fungi all around us everywhere that a little fly shouldn't spoil your appetite.  It is more psychological than anything else.  Just like hair in the food - some people find it totally disgusting, others don't care.

21 hours ago, peteski said:

Some people eat roadkill (with or without flies on it). :D

But seriously, there are so many germs, viruses and fungi all around us everywhere that a little fly shouldn't spoil your appetite.  It is more psychological than anything else.  Just like hair in the food - some people find it totally disgusting, others don't care.

I use to work with a guy who uncoiled his chicken and little roaches ran out on a whit table. People got up and left and  he said they don’t eat much. May be the thought of it but I can’t handle it. I stayed at my desk until I retired.

I would remove the fly and continue having the wine.

Also a funny fly story. Number of years ago I was at my sisters for dinner. A fly was buzzing around in the kitchen but we couldn't kill it. I had observed on occasion that flies would end up dead ir a pot was in the sink. So I suggested filling a pot of water and put it on the counter.  I got the oh sure that will never work but a pot was filled with water. As the pot of water was put on the counter the fly took a nosedive into the water. The reaction by everyone was hilarious. 

I have had the Fly in the Wine thing for real and if you look at my first post that is the way we have always handled it. So one year for Christmas my wife's younger sister sent us a joke gift. The wine glasses she sent were called Red Neck Wine Glass. A normal size stem glass with a mason jar on top with a screw lid. We display them with our wine tasting glass collection and it's always good for a laugh. 

13 hours ago, cobraman said:

None of us know what goes on back in the kitchen.

My Dad taught me at a young age, "It's probably a good idea to be nice to anyone who has anything to do with your food." B):lol:

• 3 weeks later...