Model Cars Magazine Forum

41 Plymouth mild custom with a twist!

alan barton

This has been finished for a little while now but my thrash to get other projects finished for our NNL prevented me getting some photos posted.

The build photos are over in the WIP section.  I used very few parts from other kits - the front seat is from a 53 Studebaker, the grille is from a 51 Chevy kit and the wheels are from the 59 Sunliner kit.  Rear bumper is from an AMT parts pack. I may still lower it a smidge but this will require cutting off the bottom edge of the interior tub so I'm still thinking about that.  It is the right height for a high school car but would look slicker if it was a little closer to the ground.  Paint is Tamiya light pearl green over Tamiya white primer.

I believe I achieved my goal of taking the stodge out of the Dodge (yeah, yeah, it's a Plymouth, but what rhymes with Plymouth?)

Cheers

Alan

20210328_083922.jpg

20210328_085740.jpg

20210328_084528.jpg

20210328_084655.jpg

Thanks David and Pappy,

Yeah, I did a lot of soul searching on the grille.  It does look better in the flesh - the camera does seem to exaggerate the angle a bit.  At the end of the day, it was the best option I could find but I will let you in on a little secret - it's not glued in  place so if I find something more pleasing, i will be trying it out!

Cheers

Alan

Cool old-school custom, but I'd love to see it with a forward rake as opposed to the raised front. Seems a contradiction visually to sectin and streamline the front sheet metal only to raise it into the wind. I think dropping the front might make the grille look less overpowering; the change in the viewer's angle of sight would downplay it. Just my 2 pennies worth; over all  I really like it as it reminds me of the stuff from customizing's early days, when the magazines were "little pages" format. Color is refreshing! Well done

You did a lot of major surgery on the front end on this build. The paint looks great and I like the Olds Fiesta Hub Caps. Sort of the "Tail Dragger" stance now but if you do want to change it I would think the front suspension could be redone without changing the interior floor. Great overall look and cleanly done.