Model Cars Magazine Forum

Replica buildoff

JJ Deuce

Appreciate the comments Anton and Trevor

20 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

What do you use for cutting your styrene stock? 

Stock strips up to 3mm thick use a RP Toolz chopper, for the rest use a razor saw in the mitre box.

e5jDyU4.jpg

Got a more few things done.  

Scratch built a fuel tank to go in the back of the frame.

W5GKno2.jpg

Bed/tray floor.

kGLJIwW.jpg

Wheel tubs.

TCCEEGU.jpg

Scratch built air tank and solenoids, to go with 3D printed compressor's.

830CvHZ.jpg

lZlViSo.jpg

Got the compressor's from an old mate a few years back.

olXHkkM.jpg

New trans tunnel and seats.

tE1rn4e.jpg

The seats from Hobby Design.

6HUPz0Q.jpg

Edited by Cool Hand
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

Stock strips up to 3mm thick use a RP Toolz chopper, for the rest use a razor saw in the mitre box.

e5jDyU4.jpg

W5GKno2.jpg

Bed/tray floor.

kGLJIwW.jpg

Wheel tubs.

TCCEEGU.jpg

830CvHZ.jpg

lZlViSo.jpg

olXHkkM.jpg

tE1rn4e.jpg

6HUPz0Q.jpg

Luke! Awesome to see you back at the bench mate.  This is great stuff indeed. I really admire those of you that scratch build your own chassis’s, maybe one day I’ll get there… Love the low! Purple body? I bought some seats from hobby design a while back, great product.

Cheers, Steve

On 12/6/2021 at 3:36 AM, Steve H said:

Luke! Awesome to see you back at the bench mate.  This is great stuff indeed. I really admire those of you that scratch build your own chassis’s, maybe one day I’ll get there… Love the low! Purple body? I bought some seats from hobby design a while back, great product.

Cheers, Steve

Thanks and yeah getting a bit done here and there when im in the mood.  Hardest part I find with a scratch built chassis, is getting it look some what scale accurate.  Using a layout is the easiest way to design and build a frame/chassis. 

Laying frame would have been sweet, but using the 23's kinda limited how much it could be dropped.

Yes mate it will be purple like the original build. Hobby design products are excellent.

Bit of progress, got lucky and was able to fit up the Shelby radiator with very little effort.

Few strips of styrene to hold it in place.

uK5jvQo.jpg

Nomd82i.jpg

YFK5Pvs.jpg

Also smoothed out the fire wall.

eGstZwa.jpg

Just need to figure out the inner fenders, do some body and prep work. Then time start shooting 1500 surfacer and paint.

• Like 2

While I'm in limbo I decided to get this build under way. 

The Story.

Way back in the mid 80's, I got that red 1:24th Monogram 57 Chevy for Christmas. I used my allowance to buy a brush paint set and a can of Testors Sapphire Blue metallic spray paint. I was about to build my first model kit ever.

I started the build in the dead of winter with most of the paint work being in my bedroom using the paint set. I believe the set included Gloss white, Red, Blue, Yellow, Orange, Silver and Black. Disaster struck when I took the body out to the tool shed and tried to paint the blue over the red in the freezing cold. Needless to say it didn't work out very well.

I vividly remember asking my stepdad how to get the paint off and his answer... GAS. 🤔🥴🤪😆  Unfortunately it attacked the plastic and left me sanding the rag marks smooth. At that point it was time to attempt paint job number two. Only this time I read the label on the can where it said to apply over silver base.

By the time I got around to buying silver spray paint the weather was warmer... and I painted the model with a better result. (probably still hideous) 😆 looking at it, I thought there was too much Blue and decided it needed a white roof. I also painted the fin white too. The decals were added just because they were in the box. 

I'll continue with the story as the build  progress continues... 

To be continued...

20211210_102728.jpg

20211210_102830.jpg

20211213_162945.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 3:13 PM, Cool Hand said:

Bit of progress, got lucky and was able to fit up the Shelby radiator with very little effort.

Great to see your progress on this Luke.

8 hours ago, disconovaman said:

While I'm in limbo I decided to get this build under way. 

The Story.

Way back in the mid 80's, I got that red 1:24th Monogram 57 Chevy for Christmas..................

About the same time as I built mine then! I'm fond of the Monogram '57 for that reason, and have built another since. My first one was brush-painted black Humbrol enamel, and I still have it in parts.

I look forward to seeing yours progress.

I've got one more build to get off the bench, then I can start my replica project.

12 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

I'm fond of the Monogram '57 for that reason

I latch on to all those old 24th scale kits for nostalgic reasons. I built all of those kits back in the day. I'd be interested to see you rebuild your old 57, that would be cool.

Part II 

I used Testors gloss black to brush paint the chassis and interior... I left the engine red (this one will be painted) and the details were painted silver. The replica will have flat colors on the interior and chassis for a more realistic look. The replacement will still have all the basic colors as the original. Blue, White, Black, Silver and Red. I am having wandering thoughts of changing some engine parts, intake and fuel set up mainly. I honesty do not remember what option I used on the original. I definitely don't think I would've used the fuel injection and the cross ram seemed unrealistic to me at 10 years old. I'll give it some more thought.

Meanwhile I have bodywork and other things to do. One thing that bugged me about the hood is you can see the impression of the cut out, so I'm filling that over to take care of the problem. Also I've cleaned the mold lines, primered and wet-sanded, and sprayed the body with a silver base... almost ready for some color. 

I remember the next model I bought was the Rampage 69 Camaro. I liked that yellow alot...  not to spoil any of the story, I still had that gloss Yellow from the brush paint set...😁

More later...

20211214_090822.jpg

20211214_115521.jpg

Just now, disconovaman said:

I latch on to all those old 24th scale kits for nostalgic reasons. I built all of those kits back in the day. I'd be interested to see you rebuild your old 57, that would be cool.

It'd be a challenge, but I'll give it a look over Christmas and see if I can find enough parts to make it vaguely complete again.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 5:38 AM, Cool Hand said:

e5jDyU4.jpg

W5GKno2.jpg

Bed/tray floor.

kGLJIwW.jpg

Wheel tubs.

TCCEEGU.jpg

830CvHZ.jpg

lZlViSo.jpg

olXHkkM.jpg

tE1rn4e.jpg

6HUPz0Q.jpg

Luke, Luke, Luke…. you cost me nothing but money. First it was the Border tools scriber (one of my favourite tools), now it’s the RP Toolz cutter. I ordered mine last night, should be here before Christmas. Watched a couple of videos and reviews, I’m super excited 😜. I don’t do enough fab work to justify it, but man, it looks like an awesome tool. So heck, I bought one! Thanks for sharing that, it does look like it will save a lot of time, and make for cleaner work. Cheers mate.

• Like 2

On 12/14/2021 at 7:43 PM, disconovaman said:

I'd be interested to see you rebuild your old 57, that would be cool.

Spent a few minutes last night sifting through boxes, amongst remnants of the NASCAR Regal I want to recreate for this build-off I managed to find all the important pieces of the '57! I won't clutter this thread up any further, I'll start a WIP on it in due course - could be a fun Christmas holiday project.

Back on topic, I'm looking to start the Regal over the forthcoming break too - I need to finish one other kit first. I might struggle to do much on the bodywork in the near future, but there are plenty of other things I can get on with.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Steve H said:

Luke, Luke, Luke…. you cost me nothing but money. First it was the Border tools scriber (one of my favourite tools), now it’s the RP Toolz cutter. I ordered mine last night, should be here before Christmas. Watched a couple of videos and reviews, I’m super excited 😜. I don’t do enough fab work to justify it, but man, it looks like an awesome tool. So heck, I bought one! Thanks for sharing that, it does look like it will save a lot of time, and make for cleaner work. Cheers mate.

LOL! plenty more tools and supplies I could recommend to spend your money for ya. You will like the cutter its excellent quality.

6 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

LOL! plenty more tools and supplies I could recommend to spend your money for ya. You will like the cutter its excellent quality.

Bring it on! You seem to have very good taste in hobby tools. PM me if you have more must have tools. 

Looks like you had a good paint session.

Cheers, Steve

• Thanks 1

Getting a couple small parts painted to keep the motivation on going.

Applied to some Alclad ALC-105 polished aluminum to the air tank and compressor's.

Fj19f5f.jpg

Applied some BMF to the ignition coil covers, then sprayed the whole valve covers a custom mix of TS-44 brilliant blue and TS-10 french blue.

Once touch dry, soaked a cue tip in Mr levelling thinner and removed the paint from the raised detail on the coil cover. Not the best pic, but you get the idea.

b7g93oW.jpg

Edited by Cool Hand
  • Like 3

Wow! Really Awesome work goin on here. Cool Hand is showing some expert skills! That old Ford never looked better!

I wasn't able to get much time at the bench this weekend. Gluing parts and sorting out all things 57 Chevy related was about it. I ran across this 57 Nomad and had a thought, how about a wagon in the exact colors and decals?

Maybe I need to retract my earlier statement in which I made about the decals being on the original because they were "in the box". I guess I do like those afterall... 😁 

I actually have copies of the AMT 57 Street Machine, the one with the Art Morrison chassis and big block. I plan on building a version of that kit with the decals and color scheme eventually... just looking for that photo etched grill I've misplaced. 🤔

16400143839549174151521274623728.jpg

20211220_100219.jpg

• Like 1

Well Poo! What I have here is a Classic case of Life repeating itself! I guess I'm not too surprised, I must be out of practice with painting old enamels. It turned out OK but the paint was too thick for me and nowadays it's easier to strip paint and start over. I'll give it another go when I get the body clean... 😏

I did make progress on the engine, it's simple and easy, nothing special. 

16400911439128613927767684721464.jpg

20211220_165916.jpg

Edited by disconovaman