Model Cars Magazine Forum

Phantom '69 Mercury Spoiler Cyclone

carbuilder1950

This is another car I built around that fabulous gun-sight grill. Seems to be a theme of mine I've noticed,

to build a car around a certain piece that just "Grabs" me.

The first thing I did was order this bumper/grill from Modelhaus, and then hit Ebay for the 2 kits.

The last 2 construction pics are about cutting the assembly of the front inner fender wells, radiator core and firewall from the '69 body in one piece, and using it to fit the underside of the '70. I think that's right.

Switching parts is confusing sometimes, trying to describe it.

Oh yeah. I did make some of the body script decals too, and I put in a '68 mustang rear window frame from from a donor kit, so I could use the rear window louvers. No construction pics of that. Mustang rear window is a bit narrower, but still works.

The "Billboards" on the tires are after-market. I bought about a dozen of probably every manufacturer from that era. And the tires are just the perfect size in soft resin.

Little fun details to enjoy.

I love the lowe006.thumb.JPG.f19f78a7908cac6fadf3dd82e8f15871.JPGr half of the '70 Mercury, and the roof of the '69, so why not combine them? So I did.

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

015.JPG

017.JPG

018.JPG

032.JPG

033.JPG

034.JPG

043.JPG

042.JPG

039.JPG

027.JPG

034.JPG

028.JPG

029.JPG

024.JPG

026.JPG

023.JPG

030.JPG

025.JPG

Edited by carbuilder1950
  • Like 1

Stunning conversion and finish-work on this build!  Looks like something the Design Dept. at Lincoln/Mercury could have considered for the '71 model year!  Now... I gotta ask; are we going to see a follow-up/vice-versa build transplanting that Mercury roof onto a '69 Ford Torino body??? (hint/hint... if not, send me that Mercury roof piece and maybe I'll give it a try)!

• Haha 1