Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Plymouth GTX Convertible

ModelcarJR

I am starting a new build, an AMT 1969 Plymouth GTX Convertible.  Managed to get the body painted and some of the other parts. Body is Tamiya Light Blue Metallic and the interior will be Ivory, black, and dash and steering wheel  will be body color.  I just noticed that the body has a light or cloudy spot on the left side door jam. May have to five it a light coat of paint and clear in that spot. Thanks for looking!

enhance

enhance

enhance

Gorgeous blue! I gotta get some of those Tamiya paints; I'm always impressed with their colors, and they have a nice scale metallic appearance where regular paints always look too "flaky" for accuracy. Can't wait to see more of this one.

Thanks, all! I appreciate the comments! Yes, I am going with the stock wheels,  Keystones, I think and white letter Goodyears.  I used some parts from this kit for another build but I had another GTX hardtop that I also borrowed the interior from for another build. I have the front and rear suspension from the hardtop. I wasn't too pleased with the Testors GTS blue paint job on this hardtop and it got too close to something and lost some paint in the process. I think I am only missing the rear shocks which I could probably find in the parts box and the wiper motor. But as the instructions indicate, I can just use a horn in place of the wiper motor, LOL!  Thanks for looking! 😎

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFzAxSrOaQVP0y7rqSvAHWmGldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1636855557

enhance

I have the interior mocked up and I am not sure about the black. I think I'll at least change the carpeting area to blue and either leave the door panel black at the bottom or change it to blue also. Of course, the transmission hump on the left side of the console also causes an issue with the left front seat placement so I'll have to notch that a bit. No decals for the dash so I'll have to figure out something.  Thanks for looking! 😎

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFx-GSpD-j8T3zLsRQRbnQesKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1636903168

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFz4Suwt9FeVMYKWKPIYAgH2UnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1636903164

enhance

Ok, I changed the color of the carpet area and have the console and right door foiled. I realize that the door panel pattern is not correct but the mold maker must have run out of time and didn't finish the chrome separations correctly. So I just squared off the painted wood and added some .020" rod as borders and foiled the rod. The dash was done with chrome foil, then blackwashed and red indicators were added with paint. Still have to finish the left door and steering wheel. Thanks for looking! 😎

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFwGFfOjiYyE9TpJKneCqNxkUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1636947785

enhance

Thanks, Bill, Dan and Mike! I appreciate your comments! 

I've been away from the workbench for a couple of days but managed to get the interior done this morning. I may buy some seat belt buckles and add some seat belts but this will do for now. Moving on to the body, chassis and engine. Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFxv_Rhm8i3HKIZxagnv6TxVKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1637255787

enhance

Thanks, Keith, Stephen, Carl, and Ken! I appreciate your comments.

I've finished the foil after rubbing it out a bit and attacked the window glass. Unfortunately, I cut off a corner of the right wing or vent window when I removed a remnant of the clear sprue that was left on the windshield. I tried to install it anyway, and of course, it didn't fit well. when the windshield was pushed in tight the vent or wing window glass didn't reach. So I cut the vents off of each side and replaced with clear agitate.

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFx6lqTggkUGLsNa2Qj5Aq4M4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1637446787

I painted the inside of the vent windows with aluminum paint as I the chrome wouldn't stick to the rough surface that I didn't paint or clear. It was  just oversprayed. The windshield installed better after I had installed the vent windows with a little bit of gentle persuasion.

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFxLOhVlJcjjrcWgSkMT8-MjqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1637446791

Now, everything is tight and looks much better than the original glass with vents.  Thanks for looking! 

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFwrLmVzZheqiQMNmfd_QWptV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1637446404

Thanks, Dan! I appreciate the comment! 

Its on wheels but I am a little disappointed. The wheels are too far inside the wheel well for me. Either the body is so slab-sided or the body is too big for the chassis that was built for the hardtop. I elongated the axle on the back wheels a bit but didn't want to tear the front suspension apart. I'll just have to live with it at this point. I'll finish up the engine compartment and then final hardware and decals and it will be done. 

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFwJe0I4lyTNfQ3PdvEvZbps5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1637542295

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFz-JQ09mbEk9FYvApqivPyKKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1637542298

enhance