Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2022

dbostream

On 11/19/2021 at 1:57 PM, Mark said:

Didn't they make the '80 Turbo first, then backdate it?  Or have they alternated reissues between the two versions?

This is my Holy Grail kit!! As I understand it the ‘79 was made for KB Toys stores and sold only there, then Monogram kitted the 80 after that, but I could be wrong.

11 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

IIRC , the same scale '85 Corvette and the '85 IROC-Z retailed for $40 - $50 when they were new ( my word... 37 years ago ! ) . I can only imagine that the T.A. will be around a buck-fifty , especially considering the monumental price hikes of recent . 

Original TTA was about $19.99 and the 82 Z28 was about $25. The 85 IROC was priced about  $35. I remember, because as a kid, I had to save my money to buy the Trans Am and Z28 and the orange tube of Testors model glue was 25 cents.

I'll never forget the excitement of going to Toy City to buy the big box it came in and riding it home on my bike. Great fun!

Oh yeah, I still have both cars in my rebuilder stash.

On 11/19/2021 at 10:57 AM, Mark said:

Didn't they make the '80 Turbo first, then backdate it?  Or have they alternated reissues between the two versions?

'80 came out when the car was new. '79 was issued in 88-89. Both were issued once as far as I remember. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

The 85 IROC was priced about  $35.

That's closer to what it actually traded for.  I bought me copy of it at Kay Bee  in summer 1985 . I had a crisp $50 in me wallet ( plus another $50 at home ) after a weekend of landscaping the yard of  a well-to-do lady's home . Big money in 1985 ! 

Me grandmum gave $50 for the '85 Corvette in December 1984 . She paid that then-inflated retail price at a department store which catered to the upper-middle-class ( Hinshaw's in Whittier , Ca. , if you're interested . Long defunct ) . That's likely where I got the "$40- $50" price range .  

If I remember right, the large scale T/A is mentioned in Thomas Graham's book about the history of Monogram.  One of the parties involved with it mentioned regretting "having done the anemic Turbo version", which would mean that it was done first, and the tool later converted to the non-Turbo version later.  The order of the two releases would seem to confirm this.  

It does seem that the Turbo versions of the various T/A kits didn't do well for Monogram.  They also took their 1/24 scale 1980 Turbo kit and backdated it to the 1970 kit that exists today.

I think the new version of the Camaro was mentioned here some time back.  The info on these probably just leaked out somewhere.

The manufacturers tend to announce one quarter at a time lately.  We'll probably see Revell's first quarter announcements at the "usual" time.

2 hours ago, Mark said:

I think the new version of the Camaro was mentioned here some time back.

It was mentioned on the revell.de website as a future release, but the website has since been revamped, and not really for the better.

Hopefully the transparent "glass" parts are non-tinted this time around for the '79 T/A, too. 🤞

9 hours ago, Mark said:

If I remember right, the large scale T/A is mentioned in Thomas Graham's book about the history of Monogram.  One of the parties involved with it mentioned regretting "having done the anemic Turbo version", which would mean that it was done first, and the tool later converted to the non-Turbo version later.  The order of the two releases would seem to confirm this.  

It does seem that the Turbo versions of the various T/A kits didn't do well for Monogram.  They also took their 1/24 scale 1980 Turbo kit and backdated it to the 1970 kit that exists today.

Probably true, but the detail parts of the turbos is much better than anything MPC did for their Indy pace car and annuals.

It wasn't a great car, but it does represent a time when real car manufacturers were trying different things to improve performance. EFI was the game changer and that was 5 or 6 years away in 1980.

Revell-39628-Chrome-Spray Revell-Neuheiten Januar bis Mai 2022

Translated from the German site by Google: "Another chrome spray" I hear many groan! But what we saw live in Bünde yesterday was really convincing! Great chrome, really grip after a few hours! But as always with paints and tools, your own application test will show how good the product is!

I'm VERY interested in this, myself.

Charlie Larkin

So the Revell 69 Camaro SS in a more accurate format combination is the 2N1 in which the website is referring to? I was reading on the "Facespot"... there was a racing/stock version coming out with a new hood, custom wheels, and decal sheet... with a new boxart, can anyone confirm this? 

6 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

Revell-39628-Chrome-Spray Revell-Neuheiten Januar bis Mai 2022

Translated from the German site by Google: "Another chrome spray" I hear many groan! But what we saw live in Bünde yesterday was really convincing! Great chrome, really grip after a few hours! But as always with paints and tools, your own application test will show how good the product is!

I'm VERY interested in this, myself.

Charlie Larkin

I’m very interested in learning more about this. Waiting to see some videos, and hear reviews of this one. 

On 11/20/2021 at 11:23 PM, keyser said:

Germany doesn't like stuff branded SS for obvs reasons. Can't use emblems either, can call SuperSport. Even vid games can't. Is SS separate piece? I forget, and I'm too lazy to go look. 

What? If i understand your note, the "Germans" don't use the SS logo on modelcars? where is this S*** coming from?!? look at the Decals from the MonteCarlo, Camaro, Chevelle etc...never heard such trash. Sorry.

This "SS" has nothing to do with the history generations before and the laws about it. It is not allowed to display right-wing extremist signs and symbols. that's all. nothing to do with the letters SS. It is a brand like all cars have.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

https://www.lsxmag.com/news/german-camaros-get-v8-but-no-ss-badging/
Full size cars, video game cars, etc. Ask armor builders about it. 
They will spell out Super Sport though. 
Guess a lot of the world is grudgy about SS I see you’re in D. Surprised you’ve not heard of this before. Article says 60y for GM of no SS. Believe what you want. Lol. 
https://amp.dw.com/en/germanys-confusing-rules-on-swastikas-and-nazi-symbols/a-45063547

Edited by keyser
Link

There are indeed SS badges (decals) in ROG boxed Chevy kits I've come across, and I certainly have seen SS badged 1/1 cars with German plates. 

That said, a German friend of mine has purchased some Tamiya military kits (tanks) from a legitimate hobby shop in Berlin some years ago, without any decals, apparently because of issues regarding Nazi markings, particularly the swastika. 

So, Nazi markings as such are kind of a grey area when it comes to scale models in Germany, I guess, although Revell military kits do have them, as far as I am aware (at least kits available in Croatia). Go figure!

Either way, I do believe SS badges on Revell Chevies are quite safe for now.

Edited by PowerPlant
  • Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 10:57 AM, Mark said:

You recall that correctly, Mark.

The Turbo came out in 1980, then was modified in 1987 to make the '79 (the box art styles prove this).  I have both, with their copyright dates on each box.

I don't believe there's been a release of the '80 since the '79, but as you probably know better than I, that's not necessarily proof of a permanent alteration. 

The differences are relatively modest, iIrc: wheels, induction, hoods, and I think "Eagle GT" on the tire sidewalls for the '79, "GT Radial" for the '80, since the later model came out before.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

You recall that correctly, Mark.

The Turbo came out in 1980, then was modified in 1987 to make the '79 (the box art styles prove this).

Here's the page from the '87 Monogram catalog touting the "NEW" '79:

Mono1987Catalog19-vi.jpg

• Like 2

Funny!

I shouldn't undersell the changes - they were limited, but very nice.  When I finally got the '79, it was like DANM, this is what the kit shoulda been in the first place.

Don't dislike the turbines and the blister, but snowflakes and a shaker are SO much cooler.

The catalogue shot Revell chose indicates a good chance of the '79 coming back out in black.  I'm really anticipating the new decal sheet; the recent RoG 1/16 Porsche 928 reissue got an entirely new lease from the decals alone (though the far superior F-car Gatorbacks certainly didn't hurt).

spacer.png

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis
Speculation on the '22 1/8 T/A release

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2021 at 3:54 PM, Can-Con said:

I wonder what engine it will have ,, probably another big block. It'd be nice to see a non-Z-28 small block though. Wasn't '69 the first year for the "SS 350"?

I saw it advertised as a "'69 Camaro SS 396", so I think it will be the BBC. The only SBC Revell has for their '69 uses the Cross Ram intake setup, so I doubt they'd retool a new/different intake now. Offering the SS hood with separate chrome plated inserts is smart move-- one can only have so many models with Cowl Induction hoods.

Some of these were mentioned by James a few months ago here...:

...so I'm going to add everything mentioned there, and anything announced since then, here, for 2022 release:

• 4516 -- 1/25 Revell 1937 Ford Pickup 2'n 1 
  • 4517 -- 1/25 Revell 1967 Corvette Coupe
  • 4520 -- 1/24 Revell 1966 Chevrolet Malibu SS 2'n 1
  • 4521 -- 1/24 Revell 1984 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe
  • 4522 -- 1/24 Revell 1970 Buick GSX 2'n 1
  • 4525 -- 1/25 Revell 1969 Camaro SS
  • 4527 -- 1/24 Revell Porsche 911 Carrera Targa
  • 07707 -- 1/16 BMW Isetta Coca-Cola
  • 07110 -- 1/18 1979 Pontiac Trans Am

• Xingu locked this topic