Model Cars Magazine Forum

Forty years ago in 1982 my late Brother-in-Law and I started a three year full restoration of his '69 Ranchero GT , it had a 390 Automatic and was painted Meadowlark Yellow with a black interior . I don't have any photos of the finished restoration but I found this one on the web that's exactly like his .

0 - 1969 Rancher GT

I've had this idea in my head for a long time and finally decided to give it a shot so a couple of weeks ago I gathered some parts and got started . So far it's just been cutting and fitting plastic to get the correct shape , still quite a bit of body work needed but it's getting there . The body and chassis are from an AMT '69 Torino kit and they have been shortened a scale 3" to a 113" WB .  The bed and rear window are from a Revell '66 El Camino and have been narrowed slightly to fit . The bed rail trim is the correct shape but the bed itself along with the 'B" pillar and window will need some work . In the rear I need to work on the transition from the tailgate to the taillights and finish modifying the bumper . Those taillights were done on my printer and are for the mock-up only , I'll cast some finished ones later .

Not sure where the GT grille came from , I've had it for a looong time .

The wheels in the AMT Torino kit aren't the greatest so I have these '69 Cougar wheels as a possibility . I've got an AMT '69 Mach I on order and the wheels in that kit have the GT emblem molded in so if they're as nice as the Cougar wheels I'll be using them , if not I'll print decals for the Cougar wheels .

That's all for now , still lots of work to do but I'm hoping to start the body work next week .

• Like 4

Great looking conversion on this Ranchero. Getting the bed and especially the tail gate section to look correct can be trying and your tail gate looks just like the 1:1 to me.  Have you found the paint you want to use for your build?   I have built a few different models in this color range and would offer two colors to consider. Model Master #81444 Phoenician Yellow is almost a perfect match. The other is also Model Master #2909 Light Ivory. This color is a couple of shades lighter and is Enamel, but I had no drying problems when using it. Both may be getting hard to find.  

7 hours ago, Vintage AMT said:

That is looking mighty fine, 

6 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Wow, that is an ambitious project. It looks like you have a pretty good handle on it though.👍

6 hours ago, David G. said:

Looks like it should be a fun and fitting tribute build.

David G.

Thanks much guys !

5 hours ago, cobraman said:

Very cool project. Love those Rancheros.

Thanks Ray !  While I'm an El Camino guy I've also owned a couple Rancheros over the years and also love the body styles .

3 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking conversion on this Ranchero. Getting the bed and especially the tail gate section to look correct can be trying and your tail gate looks just like the 1:1 to me.  Have you found the paint you want to use for your build?   I have built a few different models in this color range and would offer two colors to consider. Model Master #81444 Phoenician Yellow is almost a perfect match. The other is also Model Master #2909 Light Ivory. This color is a couple of shades lighter and is Enamel, but I had no drying problems when using it. Both may be getting hard to find.  

Thanks much David ! Still need to modify the bed but I got lucky with the tailgate and was able to get it on the first try .  As for paint . . . I have a couple cans of Phoenician Yellow but will save them for future builds so I've ordered a can of Meadowlark Yellow from Automotive Touchup . I've used their paints before and had great luck with them .

14 hours ago, TooOld said:

I've got an AMT '69 Mach I on order and the wheels in that kit have the GT emblem molded in so if they're as nice as the Cougar wheels I'll be using them , if not I'll print decals for the Cougar wheels .

You'll like the Mustang wheels, they look great! Probably the best parts in the kit.

12 hours ago, kelson said:

Cool project!,i'm following along.

Thanks Curtis !

7 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

You'll like the Mustang wheels, they look great! Probably the best parts in the kit.

That's really good to hear , thanks much Patrick ! :)

23 hours ago, TooOld said:

Thanks Ray !  While I'm an El Camino guy I've also owned a couple Rancheros over the years and also love the body styles .

Thanks much David ! Still need to modify the bed but I got lucky with the tailgate and was able to get it on the first try .  As for paint . . . I have a couple cans of Phoenician Yellow but will save them for future builds so I've ordered a can of Meadowlark Yellow from Automotive Touchup . I've used their paints before and had great luck with them .

That's a good idea, I just didn't know if that was even an option for you. This way you'll be able to have an exact color match. 

On 5/18/2022 at 11:48 PM, Robberbaron said:

I'll definitely be following this one.  After seeing your previous El Camino conversions, I know this will look awesome.

On 5/19/2022 at 12:52 AM, Bills72sj said:

Following your build.

On 5/19/2022 at 8:23 AM, Zippi said:

Great start on the 69 Ranchero GT.  Looking good so far.

8 hours ago, slusher said:

I will definitely be following Bill, after the last few killer builds you have done!

Thanks guys , should be able to get some more work done this weekend !

In the meantime I received the AMT Mustang Mach I kit yesterday and the wheels do look very nice . Here's a comparison to the AMT Cougar wheels .

19 Wheel Comparison 1

The Cougar wheels look more correct to me so I'm still undecided which ones to use . Here's pics of the Ranchero GT wheel .

12 hours ago, TooOld said:

In the meantime I received the AMT Mustang Mach I kit yesterday and the wheels do look very nice . Here's a comparison to the AMT Cougar wheels .

19 Wheel Comparison 1

The Cougar wheels look more correct to me so I'm still undecided which ones to use . Here's pics of the Ranchero GT wheel .

Hmmm, tough call.  I agree that the Cougar wheels overall look more accurate, but those GT emblems do make a big difference.

Another source for these wheels is the Revell 1968 Mustang.  These are pics of a recent build from Sport Suburban on this forum:

68_Mustang_GT_428CJ_b.thumb.JPG.1e06607d0a332f0e0af4a74e426f2b73.jpeg

From these pics it looks like the trim ring on these may be thicker than the ones that you already have.  Tough to tell for sure...

68_Mustang_GT_428CJ_c.thumb.JPG.9933b110260dc53f66a18d60bf580217.jpeg

Edited by Robberbaron
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Hmmm, tough call.  I agree that the Cougar wheels overall look more accurate, but those GT emblems do make a big difference.

Another source for these wheels is the Revell 1968 Mustang.  These are pics of a recent build from Sport Suburban on this forum:

68_Mustang_GT_428CJ_b.thumb.JPG.1e06607d0a332f0e0af4a74e426f2b73.jpeg

From these pics it looks like the trim ring on these may be thicker than the ones that you already have.  Tough to tell for sure...

68_Mustang_GT_428CJ_c.thumb.JPG.9933b110260dc53f66a18d60bf580217.jpeg

Thanks for those pics Robert , those are really nice looking wheels too !  The trim ring is definitely thicker but not objectionable like AMT Torino wheels .  Since I have the Cougar wheels I'm going to use them and make some GT decals for them .

8 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

I may be able to help you out. I made some waterslide GT decals for my 69 Torino fastback and Cougar Eliminator. I have extras if you are interested.

IMG_2574.JPG

IMG_2575.JPG

Thanks for the offer Bill , I appreciate it but I've got it covered !

Started working on the rear window opening last night , the Ranchero is larger than the El Camino .

The left half has been enlarged using a small file .

After some more work here's the result . Another advantage is this also moves the window out so it's closer to flush with the body . I've also removed the front wall of the bed so it can be replaced .

For the front wall I made a buck and used a Vac-U-Form to make the new one .

New front wall temporarily in place , I also made a pattern for the window . The opening needs to be a bit larger and the window isn't as flush as it should be .

Doing any more work is going to be tricky since there's not a lot of strength left in the window area , and removing the bed side walls will make everything pretty flimsy . Before proceeding any further it's time to glue the body together .

As soon as that sets up completely I can continue . Thanks for looking !

• Thanks 1