Model Cars Magazine Forum

Return of the 1/25 MPC '68 Coronet/Super Bee RT Convertible...

13 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Looks like the kit didn't represent the TV car at all. Wrong scoops, color, wheels, grille and what's with the tonneau cover over the back seat?

Yeah, I noticed  that , it's also a 69 Coronet.  Maybe the network got the IMF a new car for season two or three.  Dodge product placement ya know.

Edited by s.p.e.c.t.r.e.
spelling

MPC couldn't make that kit as a '68 because they had already altered the tooling to produce '69s for the promo contract.  They probably had the custom parts already worked up for the '69 kit, and just rebranded it as the TV car.

For all purposes the TV car is the '69 convertible kit.  It has all of the stock parts included.

I bought one years ago off of a seller's list.  It was listed as a "MPC 1969 Coronet convertible".  When it arrived and I saw that box, my first thought was "the convertible boot had better be in there, or this guy is getting this thing back!"

• Haha 2

Going back to the round 2 whining when I got the 65 coronet I was disappointed it had the RB engine and the upswept manifolds because in 65 super stocks had hemis.  Built is as stock 440 car because 426 RB motor was only plymouth.  Then I bought 3 more and built my 62 Johan fury super stock my 63 Johan fury super stock and a 63 polara resin super stock.  So a glass can be half empty and half full.  I am more than excited to get a 68 coronet convertible.  If I don't like the chassis I will put a different one under it.  Thank you round 2 for any contributions to our hobby.

On 6/10/2022 at 6:01 PM, Mopar maniac 74 said:

Steven guthmiller

I did a hemi under glass onto a 69 amt cuda worked great.  It was a while back so don't know if 71 duster donor would work or not.  

If you're referring to my Hemi Under Glass post a few pages back Jeff, I was talking about the '66 Barracuda kit.

In that case, the body was altered for the Hemi Under Glass version, so in order to go back to stock, a new body would be required.

By the way, the '71 Duster chassis is already ear marked to go under my '66 Barracuda. ;)

Steve

So what was/will be in the box? Can one build a “stock” 1968 Cornet R/T convertible from this kit? Or does it represent a ‘68 Coronet 500 convertible? A phantom ‘68 Coronet Super Bee convertible? Or only the “custom” Mission Impossible version? I’m hoping for the “stock” correct Coronet R/T. 

41 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

So what was/will be in the box? Can one build a “stock” 1968 Cornet R/T convertible from this kit? Or does it represent a ‘68 Coronet 500 convertible? A phantom ‘68 Coronet Super Bee convertible? Or only the “custom” Mission Impossible version? I’m hoping for the “stock” correct Coronet R/T. 

Look at the pictures of the mockup...it's an R/T badged convertible, same as the original kit.  Those who want a 500 or other variation can turn to the aftermarket for whatever they need in conversion parts.

10 minutes ago, Mark said:

Look at the pictures of the mockup...it's an R/T badged convertible, same as the original kit.  Those who want a 500 or other variation can turn to the aftermarket for whatever they need in conversion parts.

I want the R/T version. So I will be happy if that is case. 

Boy, I’ve gone back and read about half of the comments posted here so far. I personally am very happy with what Round 2 is doing here with this kit. Heck, I’d be happy if it was straight reissue. Warts and all. I can easily build those old kits. I love metal axles and screwed in chassis if the car looks right. Sometimes, even if the car was 100 percent correct. 

On 5/25/2022 at 2:07 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that it's almost inevitable that there will be a '66 Buick Skylark GS on the horizon. ;)

A '70/'71 Cyclone has to be on that docket as well.

I've got my wallet in hand! ^_^

Steve

Boy, I hope your right Steve. You just named two of my “holy grail” kits. I’d be happy with the Craftsman version of the ‘66 Skylark. Plus the Craftsman ‘59 Buick, ‘59 Ford, ‘59 Edsel, and ‘59 Lincoln. And Craftsman ‘57 Thunderbird. As low tech as one can get. But, quick builds, looking beautiful sitting on shelf. 

On 5/25/2022 at 6:09 PM, keyser said:

There was a Craftsman 66 Skylark too. I’d guess that’s basis. Full detail annual was converted, but the annual was nice kit. Great body, looks the part. 63 Falcon Sprint convert and 63 Corvair might be around too. 
69 Coronet obvs likely, they were scarce to start with, esp convert. 

I forgot about the Craftsman ‘63 Falcon Sprint convertible and Corvair. I want, and would buy those too, if they were reissued.

15 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Boy, I hope your right Steve. You just named two of my “holy grail” kits. I’d be happy with the Craftsman version of the ‘66 Skylark. Plus the Craftsman ‘59 Buick, ‘59 Ford, ‘59 Edsel, and ‘59 Lincoln. And Craftsman ‘57 Thunderbird. As low tech as one can get. But, quick builds, looking beautiful sitting on shelf. 

There could be a couple of possibilities there, depending on what remains of the original toolings.......if anything.

I have a hunch that some of the tooling remains for some of the old annuals that were later re-issued in the "Flower Power" series.

At least that should be proof that the molds weren't destroyed to produce the subsequent year's models.

AMT-T-140-2.jpg?v-cache=1598303106

AMT%20T133-150%20MagMaulsle+.JPG

There was also another series, (don't know what they called it), that included such models as the '62 Ford Galaxie.

AMT-T-134-2.jpg?v-cache=1598303106

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

There could be a couple of possibilities there, depending on what remains of the original toolings.......if anything.

I have a hunch that some of the tooling remains for some of the old annuals that were later re-issued in the "Flower Power" series.

At least that should be proof that the molds weren't destroyed to produce the subsequent year's models.

There was also another series, (don't know what they called it), that included such models as the '62 Ford Galaxie.

Steve

Another three I would buy if they were reissued. 

On 5/26/2022 at 8:13 AM, UNO said:

I’s the golden age for scale model car kit now, don’t forget how it was for many years. For my part, my basic level of satisfaction is that I have some unbuilt pickups and AMT Ford 49, anything beyond that is just a bonus. Simply put, I am grateful that there are kits, reissued kits and new kits to buy and build.

Amen. 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 5:05 PM, GMP440 said:

Now that we have the upcoming release of the MPC 68 Coronet convertible kit; anyone here going to try to do a 68 Coronet convertible custom that was on the old Mission Impossible show?

mib coronet 4.jpg

mib coronet 1 - Copy.jpg

mib coronet 2 - Copy.jpg

mib coronet 3 - Copy.jpg

Proof that the Mission Impossible car was a 1968 not a 1969. The tool was probably altered to '69 before they thought about a MI car. So, now we can make a real MI car. Hope there is an uptop but I doubt there will be.

All i can say is get it out i can't wait i have wanted this kit for years I am 70 and had it when it first came out the 68/69 are the two best Coronet's in the Dodge line up every time i saw one from some of the guys on the online stores they were between $250.00 and $300.00 I want a couple of each the hard top and the convertible.

On 6/12/2022 at 2:19 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Unfortunately, I have found no tooling related to these models.  Not even a single insert.   Cloning them into new tools would be the only option. 

-Steve 

30 minutes ago, SteveG said:

Unfortunately, I have found no tooling related to these models.  Not even a single insert.   Cloning them into new tools would be the only option. 

-Steve 

Hmmm, that surprises me as apparently these molds weren't destroyed after their initial runs.

I believe that the Flower Power kits were re-released in the early to mid 60s, so I assumed that possibly these molds might still be around and intact.

But I suppose that there are many other factors that determine whether or not a mold has survived.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller