Model Cars Magazine Forum

Alternatives to Tamiya Fine Surface Primer?

With the lack of availability of Tamiya Primers in my area I have started using Mr. Surfacer primers. I have found them in both gray and white and they also offer a few different levels rated at 1000 and 1500 and some higher. The higher the number the smoother the surface. I have been pleased with their performance and in using the finer grades I actually prefer the Mr. Surfacer products in some ways.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, espo said:

With the lack of availability of Tamiya Primers in my area I have started using Mr. Surfacer primers. I have found them in both gray and white and they also offer a few different levels rated at 1000 and 1500 and some higher. The higher the number the smoother the surface. I have been pleased with their performance and in using the finer grades I actually prefer the Mr. Surfacer products in some ways.  

I've seen the Mr. Surfacer primer around, but I was hoping to find a larger can of something that is maybe less expensive, or costs the same but goes a lot farther.

1 minute ago, DanR said:

I've seen the Mr. Surfacer primer around, but I was hoping to find a larger can of something that is maybe less expensive, or costs the same but goes a lot farther.

You can always check an auto parts store or the automotive department of Wal Mart. Many seem to like the automotive type primers, but I'm happier with the finish that I get with the Tamiya or Mr. Surfacer products. They are primarily for our uses and I think it shows in their finishes. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DanR said:

Does anyone have any suitable substitutions for Tamiya Primer? I intend to spray Tamiya TS lacquer over it. Thanks!

You can order Mr surfacer online if you can't get it locally.  Hobby titan primer is amazing, Mr.surfacer is fantastic too, alclads primer is great as well.

If you have a NAPA Auto Parts near by- I've had good luck with their spray can primers. Huge 15oz can for $10-12. Sands nicely. I've sprayed 15-20 1/25 car bodies with the can I have and still have enough left for another 5-10.  I've found this primer at Ollie's for $2.99 a can as well.  

I've also used Dupli-Color spray can primer with success. 

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 1:03 AM, DanR said:

Mr Surfacer is an amazing product and you get what you pay for. I only use their 1500 surfacer. It’s has an amazing self levelling ability. I spray 1500 black over and badly orange pealed Model Master paint job. And the Mr Surfacer dry absolutely smooth. It corrected the orange peal without any sanding. 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 11:33 AM, DanR said:

Than I'd give hobby titan a try.  400ML can for around $16 and it dries and self levels and sands beautifully.  I love there matt black primer i will usually use that for chassis and such because the finish is that nice.  It's more expensive than Mr hobby and tamiya primers, but you get 400ML compared to 170ml or less for a couple more bucks.

Edited by Dpate
  • Like 1

I use Mr Primer Surfacer 1000 and am very satisfied with that product, slightly thinned with their Leveling thinner the finish is very smooth as it self levels. But I buy the jars airbrush it in light grey. But their Mr Surfacer is good too and you can generally find that in 1200 and 1500, as well as more colors. I haven't had the need as yet, the 1000 the way I spray it is baby bottom smooth. Very happy with that. I can't imagine auto primers being this smooth frankly but maybe they don't need to be.

And for enamels or acrylics I use Stynylrez. With Stynylrez I'm unconventional and cut it a bit with hardware store lacquer thinner, it lays down very smooth as well.

On 6/22/2022 at 10:33 AM, DanR said:

Burbank house of hobbies have good prices on Tamiya products..