Model Cars Magazine Forum

Simulated Metal Paint

Mike, I really like AK Interactive Xtreme Metal colors.  They are enamel based.  I’ve used them on a number of builds that I’ve posted here.  You can see my results with their chrome on my Matra MS11 build thread in the large scale section.  I just posted pics this week.

You mentioned the price of Alclad.  I’m thinking that you will probably have to pay for the higher quality of Alclad, AK and others.  I should have mentioned, AK Interactive  Xtreme Metals are only for airbrushing.

2 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

With the demise of the Metal Master paints what do you guys' like as a substitute.  Alclad seems a bit expensive for me.

What ya got??

Ak metal colors are good, but bout the same price if not more than alclad.  Mr.hobby super metallic range is awesome as well.  

2 hours ago, 64SS350 said:

MCW has one or two currently and is  supposed to be developing more. But with him moving the shop from here to NC, I don't know when that will be.

Keep in mind these are for airbrush use.

Didn't know he was moving to NC? That's cool, doubt shipping would be any cheaper lol.  You know what part of NC?

The Mr Hobby Metallics are very good either sprayed or brushed, but they really are pungent, so good ventilation is a must.

Humbrol from over here in the UK did some tinlets of metallic paints that could be buffed when dry. Never used Metal Master paints, but guess that maybe they were similar to the Humbrol ones?

AK and Alclad as mentioned already are airbrush ready paints.

There is a UK company making their own buffing compound named C1  Polishing Powder that is really good. It looks like but is not powdered graphite. Polishes up well and resistant to handling.  My Napier Railton scratch build that is in the thread ' Can we see some scratch built thing's was done with it, so you can get some idea of how it will come up. A tub of C1 will.last for ages too! Incidentally C1 make some really nice resin transkits, so their website is well worth a look at!

Edited by Bugatti Fan

Depending on what type of metal you are trying to represent and any oxidation on the finish. I use Tamiya paints for the most part and they offer a few spray paints that may work depending on what you're trying to represent. Their TS-17 is a Gloss Aluminum and TS-42 is a Light Gun Metal. These are a gloss finish, but a light spray of Flat or Semi-Gloss may give you the finish you're after. They also offer a color called Bare Metal, but I'm out and don't have the paint number. For brush paints I have used their XF-16 Flat Aluminum and XF-56 Flat Metallic Gray.  This is but a few and suggest checking their Military Colors as well. 

Thanks fellows for your recommendations.   Since my only source for buying paint (other than HL) all my purchases have to be online so the cost goes up because of the shipping. 

Usually I paint small metal parts with a brush.  I do like the Krylon Chrome Foil spraypaint (get it at HL when they have it) for gas tanks, exhaust pipes and mufflers. For stock cast steel exhaust manifolds I have used MM magnisum (no longer available) overcoated with dull coat but I'm amost out of it.

I like Tamiya paints; spray and bottle. Mostly rely on bottle paints for lots of small detail painting but a couple of the spray colors mentioned above work well for large parts. Never thought of looking at the military colors for more variety in metal so will have to do that.

Buying online is how I get Tamiya paints so I try to combine a model purchase with some paint to make the shipping cost worth it.

6 minutes ago, TonyK said:

I like Tamiya paints; spray and bottle. Mostly rely on bottle paints for lots of small detail painting but a couple of the spray colors mentioned above work well for large parts. Never thought of looking at the military colors for more variety in metal so will have to do that.

Buying online is how I get Tamiya paints so I try to combine a model purchase with some paint to make the shipping cost worth it.

Thanks Tony, never used any of the Tamiya paint, guess I should try.

4 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Thanks fellows for your recommendations.   Since my only source for buying paint (other than HL) all my purchases have to be online so the cost goes up because of the shipping. 

Usually I paint small metal parts with a brush.  I do like the Krylon Chrome Foil spraypaint (get it at HL when they have it) for gas tanks, exhaust pipes and mufflers. For stock cast steel exhaust manifolds I have used MM magnisum (no longer available) overcoated with dull coat but I'm amost out of it.

Depending on how small the part is I'll use tamiya's enamel paints that come in a 10ml bottle.  There XF line up isn't really meant for brush painting but can work.  Vallejo model color is great for brush painting, and i think they have metal colors too.  There airbrush ready paints can be brushed pretty good too. Real small parts XF will work great and there enamel line up does wonders. Just thin tamiya with leveling thinner from mr hobby or use tamiyas own retarder for thinning. 

Edited by Dpate

1 hour ago, Dpate said:

Depending on how small the part is I'll use tamiya's enamel paints that come in a 10ml bottle.  There XF line up isn't really meant for brush painting but can work.  Vallejo model color is great for brush painting, and i think they have metal colors too.  There airbrush ready paints can be brushed pretty good too. Real small parts XF will work great and there enamel line up does wonders. Just thin tamiya with leveling thinner from mr hobby or use tamiyas own retarder for thinning. 

Hey Dusty, thanks for the input. Vallejo may be the way to to... they are available at HL. 

I've started playing with the Vallejo Metal Colors line... Just test pieces at this time, but I like what I see so far. They're pre-thinned for airbrushing and spray nicely at 15psi. Unlike Metalizers they can be applied with a brush on small details. The metallic particles are incredibly fine. The Chrome isn't even close to Molotow or Alclad, but it has a great sheen for polished aluminum... think Testors silver enamel but pretty much impervious to wear once dry. The Gold has a great polished brass look as well. The jury is still out on their gloss black polyacrylic primer that they recommend as a base coat. I'm going to try it with a couple drops of Flow Improver to see if that helps it spray out a bit smoother. 

Tamiya Flat Aluminum and Metallic Grey have been my go-to flat metal finishes for many years. The metallic particles are coarse, which looks great for cast metal. 

Kustom service metallics are another fantastic line up but there $8 a bottle on newtype.com haven't seen them in stores.  Robot kai sells a few different brands of metallics as well but there on the pricey side.  Splash paints also makes pretty good metallics, but again on the pricey side.  If you can only do local hobby shops? see if you have a hobby town around mine started to carry mr hobby paints no to long ago and if you're lucky you may catch some super matallics, but there $5 a 10ml.  Hobby town usually has a bigger paint selection than mom and pop shops around here.  

Edited by Dpate

41 minutes ago, Dpate said:

Kustom service metallics are another fantastic line up but there $8 a bottle on newtype.com haven't seen them in stores.  Robot kai sells a few different brands of metallics as well but there on the pricey side.  Splash paints also makes pretty good metallics, but again on the pricey side.  If you can only do local hobby shops? see if you have a hobby town around mine started to carry mr hobby paints no to long ago and if you're lucky you may catch some super matallics, but there $5 a 10ml.  Hobby town usually has a bigger paint selection than mom and pop shops around here.  

I only wish I had a Hobby town in the Nashville area. Just HL. 

On 9/2/2022 at 4:02 PM, TransAmMike said:

I only wish I had a Hobby town in the Nashville area. Just HL. 

My Hobby Lobby locally has been getting a bit better stocked with paint lately, I could get by with them if need be in terms of paint. But I have a local hobby store too and online. Some things come from Amazon prime. As you know Mike, I have no issue with Testors enamels or other enamels even if decanted. Craft paint is fine, I'm sure I can get along with Createx and Wicked as I do with Liquitex Soft Body paints ( similar) or Goldens High Flow. I've been tempted to try the Vallejo Metal line of paints myself which HL stocks here.

Hobby Town when we had those around here were no great shakes on paints IMO but that was decades ago.

Anyway,all that said, I think your choices are Vallejo for acrylic metal colors or AK for solvents if you don't want Alclad. But Vallejo has a couple of different lines of metals, the metallics in MC or the bigger/wider bottles of metals.

15 minutes ago, Dave G. said:

My Hobby Lobby locally has been getting a bit better stocked with paint lately, I could get by with them if need be in terms of paint. But I have a local hobby store too and online. Some things come from Amazon prime. As you know Mike, I have no issue with Testors enamels or other enamels even if decanted. Craft paint is fine, I'm sure I can get along with Createx and Wicked as I do with Liquitex Soft Body paints ( similar) or Goldens High Flow. I've been tempted to try the Vallejo Metal line of paints myself which HL stocks here.

Hobby Town when we had those around here were no great shakes on paints IMO but that was decades ago.

Anyway,all that said, I think your choices are Vallejo for acrylic metal colors or AK for solvents if you don't want Alclad. But Vallejo has a couple of different lines of metals, the metallics in MC or the bigger/wider bottles of metals.

Hey Dave, I can always count on you on paint advise buddy.  Thanks!

50 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Thank you Joe, I should get some. 

Man i forgot about those.  There pretty good not the best but pretty darn good.  Can be little pricey if you buy them as singles.  Think hobby lobby sells the 4 or 5 pack least my hobby lobby does.