Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ken Block’s ELECTRIKHANA: High Stakes Playground; Las Vegas, in the Audi S1 HOONITRON

34 minutes ago, Pierre Rivard said:

...This...this is just slipping and sliding for the purpose of slipping and sliding...

Nah...that's the definition of "drifting" as the word is used today.

Ken Block's precise control is so far beyond most of those clowns...

This thing does sound like a slot- or RC car though.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY
  • Like 1

Car control is fun. 
Think of it as dirt track sliding on pavement. A different thing than pavement racing. 

Boneheads in parking lot or intersection have nothing to do with serious drifting. 
And I know a sliding tire is neither putting power down, nor cornering. Hence difficulty of car control. 

It’s fun to watch. Like yelling at kids on lawn. 😜🤣

• Like 2

Is it me, or did that car seem to be more consistent in it's power delivery than any of the Subis and Fords he did this with in the past?  Being electric would make a big difference, same with not having to deal with spooling up turbos like with all but the Hoonicorn's V1 time period...........

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Joe Handley said:

Is it me, or did that car seem to be more consistent in it's power delivery than any of the Subis and Fords he did this with in the past?  Being electric would make a big difference, same with not having to deal with spooling up turbos like with all but the Hoonicorn's V1 time period...........

I believe you'd be correct. Full torque instantly available at every stab of the throttle, most likely no pesky gear shifting either.

But it still sounds like an enraged golf cart.   B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I believe you'd be correct. Full torque instantly available at every stab of the throttle, most likely no pesky gear shifting either.

I don’t mind the golf cart sounds, I kinda enjoy the pissed off screams of a potent electric systems being driven like that. Most of the R/Cs I’ve had, as well as the most reliable I dealt with while working for a hobby shop have been electric.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 3:58 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

On 10/29/2022 at 8:12 AM, Joe Handley said:

I don’t mind the golf cart sounds, I kinda enjoy the pissed off screams of a potent electric systems being driven like that. Most of the R/Cs I’ve had, as well as the most reliable I dealt with while working for a hobby shop have been electric.

Will be interesting to finally hear what Dodge has up their sleeve with this "Fratzonic Chambered Exhaust" on the new Charger Daytona SRT.

Dodge want to fix the EV sound problem.

I'm all for it.

25 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

Will be interesting to finally hear what Dodge has up their sleeve with this "Fratzonic Chambered Exhaust" on the new Charger Daytona SRT.

I'm all for it.

I think they should get in contact with the Van Halen clan and license the opening to Hot for Teacher!

The drum portion for when "idling" since it sounds like a V8 on nitro then add in the guitar for low speed up until 35mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7grUgixqH8I

:lol:

Edited by Joe Handley
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

I'm all for it.

Kinda like making pretend vroom-vroom sounds while pushing a toy car around, isn't it?   ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Geez, some of you guys will probably hate the jet sound of this EV. 🙄

Nobody claimed this is racing.  It's more advanced than driving on two wheels that stunt shows used to do, now I wonder if Ken can do that? 🤔  I had 2 r/c electric cars, so every "normal" EV reminds me of those.  I'm interested only in the technology, and seeing how the limits of automobiles are getting pushed.  I am not into how government is forcing them onto us to "save the planet" which they can't do.

37 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

I almost wish that the EV engines could be made quieter. A car with zero engine noise, yet giving that kind of performance would be a trip.

I second that, but barring a Rolls Royce level of sound deadening...which adds weight...there's always going to be road rumble and wind noise.

About the only human conveyance that approaches silence is this:

Glider (sailplane)