Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chopped and tubbed ‘32 Ford

NOBLNG

I’m not entirely sure yet what all I want to do to this one. I am chopping it and tubbing it for sure. I don’t know if I am going with or without fenders yet. I had fun chopping my last one, but I broke the A pillars while fiddling with it, so this time I pinned everything. I also cut out the entire A pillar and shortened it to fit the after-chop gap. I aligned the B pillar this time so I won’t need all the “sprue glue” that I used last time. A bit of shaping and a touch of putty should clean it up. Thanks for watching, and all comments welcomed as always.🙂

EE3C9877-1041-49B5-9333-2A8C08131CA4.jpeg

F829EB2B-8983-43B6-9C92-2CC3CF86EA76.jpeg

60601026-2E5B-4F18-B48C-DFC335A3CDF3.jpeg

5FE582C6-2578-4D3E-8BBE-33320B639C2E.jpeg

A8B0A4BB-43F8-4083-A904-9B52111FB387.jpeg

763F7C73-C0A7-4CF4-B8F9-946FB827A75A.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I expected to see one going through the wood chipper.

I was sure tempted to do that with the Skip’s ‘55 chevy I was working on.😬

1 hour ago, John06 said:

What does channeling mean?

Channeling is basically raising the floor and dropping the body down over the frame in order to get a lower stance. It seems pretty simple, but this is my first attempt at it so I hope I don’t run into issues.

Edited by NOBLNG
  • Like 1

I like what you did with the A pillar. Makes for a smoother transition. Breaking them didn't hurt you at all.  I wish I'd thought of it!  Nice work, Greg. It'll be a "good one" (there's "good ones" and then there's "not so good ones" in my house.) Looks well thought out and and masterfully butchered 🥴

I’ve found that on the ones that I have channelled, attaching the interior side panels to the body and not the floor will let you slide the body down without having to cut the panels try it out with some masking tape first to make sure it will work for you. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, customline said:

I like what you did with the A pillar. Makes for a smoother transition. Breaking them didn't hurt you at all.  I wish I'd thought of it!  Nice work, Greg. It'll be a "good one" (there's "good ones" and then there's "not so good ones" in my house.) Looks well thought out and and masterfully butchered 🥴

Thanks Jim. Yes, cutting the entire A pillar out this time (two cuts) worked much better than taking a chunk out and leaning the stubs forward and backwards (three cuts).

21 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

You're off to a good start. The proportion of the chop looks right on!

Nice job sectioning the interior too. Retaining the portion of the side panels as a tab on the bottom is a smart move, one that I have used as well. Critical for keeping the side panels in the right spot.

This is my first attempt at channeling and I think I lucked out on it. The tabs do help! I raised the floor approximately 1/4” and it just works out that the rear panel can be split in the middle and lapped. The bottom section moves up with the floor, and the top moves down with the door panels. The door panels need to be re-notched to fit inside the floor pan, but the floor can be set on the new tabs and used as a template for the notches.

790448FB-DA08-4E96-98A2-976AE784E83E.jpeg

D80A1A21-C616-4760-AB07-FDC1FBE666F9.jpeg

9A9097A2-C972-4870-BBD0-8C6D13B46432.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bullybeef said:

I’ve found that on the ones that I have channelled, attaching the interior side panels to the body and not the floor will let you slide the body down without having to cut the panels try it out with some masking tape first to make sure it will work for you. 

Thanks for the tip Bil. I’ll investigate that method on my next one.😎

On 10/29/2022 at 11:59 PM, ea0863 said:

Greg, your chopped roof looks like the way it should have come from the factory to begin with. Perfectly done IMHO - - - not too much, not too little! 

On 10/30/2022 at 2:24 AM, Chevy II said:

nice work

On 10/30/2022 at 11:00 AM, Spex84 said:

Looking good so far!

On 10/30/2022 at 7:29 PM, bluestringer said:

Looking good. Nice work. 

On 10/31/2022 at 7:00 AM, slusher said:

Go for it Greg, Build your Vision you have for it..

Thank Guys!

On 10/30/2022 at 8:44 AM, dino246gt said:

Wow, this is looking great! I love that slight chop and channeled look! Flathead?

Thanks Dennis….no, I think I’m going with the hemi again. I’ll need some serious power to turn these big tires I’m trying to stuff under it.🤪

• Like 1

You had me at the first picture, a '32 Ford with a saw next to it! What could possibly go wrong??? I like what I see so far. If you make a saws width cut on the upper part of the C pillar, you can push that window opening towards the back and the window openings will line up.  See the pic below on an old AMT body... -RRR

DSC00512.JPG

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat
  • Like 2

• NOBLNG changed the title to Chopped and tubbed ‘32 Ford