Model Cars Magazine Forum

1977 chevy chevette

charger74

5 hours ago, AMT68 said:

Occasionally I see these on ebay but they are quite rare as mentioned. Are those plastic tires in that bag?

Yes, The kit has plastic tires for the stock version and rubber tires for the rallye version. I’m doing it stock so i have to find with black to use when i paint the tires to make them look realistic 

11 hours ago, charger74 said:

Yes, The kit has plastic tires for the stock version and rubber tires for the rallye version. I’m doing it stock so i have to find with black to use when i paint the tires to make them look realistic 

Tamiya Rubber Black is the best match, IMO. Styrene tyres can actually look better (more realistic) than the vinyl/rubber versions. The paint is available in both aerosol and bottle; I have one of each.

Nice Chevette, BTW. I have this exact kit in the stash. So many extra, diorama parts!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Tamiya Rubber Black is the best match, IMO. Styrene tyres can actually look better (more realistic) than the vinyl/rubber versions. The paint is available in both aerosol and bottle; I have one of each.

Nice Chevette, BTW. I have this exact kit in the stash. So many extra, diorama parts!

Thank for the tip. I have a bottle of rubber black, i will try it out 

• Like 1

GM did borrow the world wide version of the chevette and reworked it for the american laws as they had no small car for america to save time and $$$  got to say those small bumpers look so much better than our girders  errr bumpers

This is a very nice kit to build. Full engine and chassis detail.

My wife’s younger sister had a lime green one. I helped her buy it and wound up as it’s caretaker.  It was a bulletproof little brute.

I built her a copy of hers and gave it to her a few years back

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WGaree said:

GM did borrow the world wide version of the chevette and reworked it for the american laws as they had no small car for america to save time and $$$  got to say those small bumpers look so much better than our girders  errr bumpers

I agree for the most part regarding the bumpers (especially the 1974 & later 'Highway Work Truck' bumpers), but that example of the Vauxhall looks like a stoned toad trying to bum a smoke from you outside of the pub.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a little update, the interior is done, and the engine is almost done. The stock tires from the kit were 2 half of tires that i had to glue together, all in white plastic. I painted them with tamiya black rubber paint. I’m still not sure if i keep the lettering on the tires in black or if i paint it white

79BFF67E-DF4E-42B8-BD63-3C3624A5714C.jpeg

7BE6266E-EAE9-4C6D-88A1-52FE2B87F57D.jpeg

98D7C085-7C8E-4FDE-B848-F1D99CB0F1EB.jpeg

879D110E-7C21-4F88-9476-E11C18B6600B.jpeg

D58C2911-3BAF-447A-B348-2F58D41C6332.jpeg

A984E1D2-E02A-45C9-BEBB-DF8BCD5D2039.jpeg

• Like 1