Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint Booths & Safe Ventilation?

Synister

If your dead set on painting indoors in that room and on a regular basis, I think you would be far better of investing in a spray booth.

One these booths would do the job and not overly expensive.

http://www.hobbytools.com.au/airbrush-spray-booth-suit-case-style/

Also you can get this extension hose that you can direct and vent the fumes out the window.

http://www.hobbytools.com.au/spray-booth-extension-hose-exhaust-kit-for-suit-case-style-booth/

Or you can check out hardware stores for flexible ducting that will fit on the back of the booth outlet.

If you are unable to purchase a booth, then just do your painting outdoors and then bring the painted parts back indoors to dry

I paint outdoors in the shed using spray cans and the airbrush when it aint sweltering hot. If you need some help with setting up an area and tips for painting outdoors send me a pm.

If your dead set on painting indoors in that room and on a regular basis, I think you would be far better of investing in a spray booth.

One these booths would do the job and not overly expensive.

http://www.hobbytools.com.au/airbrush-spray-booth-suit-case-style/

Also you can get this extension hose that you can direct and vent the fumes out the window.

http://www.hobbytools.com.au/spray-booth-extension-hose-exhaust-kit-for-suit-case-style-booth/

Or you can check out hardware stores for flexible ducting that will fit on the back of the booth outlet.

If you are unable to purchase a booth, then just do your painting outdoors and then bring the painted parts back indoors to dry

I paint outdoors in the shed using spray cans and the airbrush when it aint sweltering hot. If you need some help with setting up an area and tips for painting outdoors send me a pm.

Yeah I had seen that model actually. So as far as fumes etc goes would my setup be ok? I may one day invest in a booth and maybe use a cardboard box for the moment with the fan on low to vent fumes through the window. My main concern here is the fumes and whether or not they would linger after airbrushing?

In my opinion the set up you want to use will direct some of the fumes out the window, but being that the room is sort of a confined space the fan will more than likely create turbulence and stir up the fumes and over spray dust and spread it more through out the room. The fumes will dissipate in a short amount of time with the fan if you are only doing short paint sessions. More than anything I think the real issue will be the over spray dust even with the airbrush.

Like I said thats just my opinion and 2 cents, I sure some people with more knowledge will hopefully provide additional comments and opinions based on their experience with painting indoors.

As stated above, the fan will blow dust onto your project and circulate all the paint fumes around the room - some out the window, some back around and through the fan again and repeat...

You really want somethkng to draw the fumes out instead of blowing them out, so even placing the fan right in front of the window and blowing outside would work better, but still not a good choice if your using paints like Mr Topcoat.

You should get a big box with a fan of some sort - do some research as there is debates about which to use - that draws air out of the box and directly out the window. Squirrel cage fans work the best but are more expnsive - they move a lot of air and the motor is not in the fume stream.

I think the fan and open window would be fine for hand painting and body putty stuff, just not for spraying.

For hand-brushing and dispersing the fumes a bit, sure - why not (although I would consider putting the fan next to the window, to "pull" the fumes, rather than "push" them). For airbrushing, spray painting with cans, or otherwise sending paint through the air: absolutely not.

Light a match or something that generates smoke, and see what happens with the fan where you want it, and on the other side closer to the window. I can guarantee you having the fan where you indicate will disperse the "smoke" (fumes, etc.) throughout the room and some (maybe even most) will make it out the window. If you put the fan closer to the window, you'll notice the smoke (fumes, smell, etc.) will get sucked away from the work and out the window.

This is also the same principle a paint booth works on - pulling the fumes vs. pushing. It's much easier to redirect airflow using suction than

Not to mention, having the fan where you propose will blow any dust or whatever else is in the air directly onto your work while the paint is wet, and possibly blow some of the lighter objects right off your desk as well.

But hey - if you want overspray all over that nice room, your furniture, cool TV, and laptop (thus pissing off the wife and/or mom) - go for it.

Fair enough. I was thinking other particles would get caught up in it, Ive since researched for that same spray booth and found one at a much more managable price that includes piping to vent out fumes through the window.

And the tv will be partially covered up as woth anything else in the room thanks for the concern. This coupled with the respirator should run without a hitch no?

• 1 month later...

Decided I needed a spray booth to replace the cardboard box I was using to spray in.

A neighbor was tossing a large projector screen TV and I thought the shape was right for what I wanted.

100_0565.jpg

So I gutted it, put in a floor of coroplast (plastic cardboard) and sealed it with expandable foam.

100_0566.jpg

I had some vacuum motors from a bank tear down to move the air, they were used to move the cylinders from the drive thru to the bank and have brushless motors, the main filters are behind the white fluff in the corners.

100_0567.jpg

The motor is supported on 2 pieces of 2x4 and a metal flange that is part of the motor assembly. The rest is a 3" to 2" reducer, a 2" T and 2" tubing cut to length. The valve in the motor assembly is 2" so reducing it won't affect the performance.

100_0568.jpg

I put a floor of pegboard in and a 24" light fixture.

100_0569.jpg

And a turntable.

100_0571.jpg

An old power strip screwed to the side provides a place to pug in everything and it's ready to go.

Hope to get some painting done tomorrow to test it out.

Now I need to build a roll around table for it to sit on, need to raise it 24" to a comfortable height to work at.

Edited by oldnslow
  • Like 1

Looks great! Just a thought to watch for during testing, Being as the cabinet is plastic, it may tend to have static issues. I used MDF board for mine and the vac system created a fair amount of static during painting. Make sure the motor is grounded also.

Awesome idea, keep us updated!

Great idea! I painted the inside of mine white to help with the light. I used the cheap Walmart paint and go over it whenever I doing housekeeping in the booth. My 70 year old eyes need a lot of light. I've just modified my booth for about the 4th or 5th time. I'll post some pics when I get to it.

Edited by Miatatom

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

So I have been debating on building a small paint booth for some time now and I do have some questions hopefully someone can help me out! I plan on using a plastic bin for the spray area, I found a great deal on a 50cfm bathroom exhaust fan on amazon, and will throw a filter in front of the fan.

I usually spray my models with duplicolor products right from the can (I do not own an airbrush). I believe a 50cfm fan should be enough but what do you think? Would the 50cfm fan have enough power to suck the fumes and overspray? Has anyone on here made a similar style booth?

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Steve

Edited by 1hobby1

There are alot of good links, in here, regarding spray booths

This topic always opens up a can of worms :blink:

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDQQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.modelcarsmag.com%2Fforums%2F%3Fshowtopic%3D56874&ei=pK3gVL-mCcGBsQTZz4DADw&usg=AFQjCNF76crdP8VoLVAd4R7MuIXS74lTQg&sig2=pQTsRYEIFSgmpim01VE2Lg&bvm=bv.85970519,d.cWc&cad=rjt

For my very limited airbrush work, I spray acrylics into a cardboard box, wearing a confo mask, and take all body work out into a warm garage

Anyway good luck and

Cheers