Model Cars Magazine Forum

was at michaels store today

My daughter wanted to get some cake decorating stuff from Michael's today so we went. She took the 50% off coupon from the paper and used on some of her things.

I found some flocking powder in the scrapbooking aisle on clearance for $1.79 and picked up two containers and figure I have enough to last me a few years! I went through the model section looking at their selection and it was in bad shape. Not much to choose from and overpriced! The last model I bought at Michael's was one of the Revell Camaro's that was a part of their Saturday Build-It deal and I got it for $5.

• 6 years later...
On 1/17/2012 at 12:49 AM, route66modeler said:

Hi, Michaels store marked all their revell kits up. The 24.99 kits are now 27.99. 19.99 kits are 21.99. Isn't 27.99 for the hemi dart higher than revell's list price? They wonder why kids don't build models, they can't afford them. Steve

Over six years later and Revell kits ('83 Hurst/Olds Cutlass, '69 Nova SS) are still priced at $25 each. :) My local store which is an "A" (i.e., the largest, stocks the most product, etc.) level store downsized the model section significantly, and they now have maybe 20-25 various models on the shelves.

I think the problem that Michaels was having was that they kept trying to charge more for their models than Hobby Lobby. In either case if you wanted to buy a kit and you had a 40% off coupon you would only save $3 or $4 over the standard price at the local hobby shops. Guess where I spent my money. 

Mentioned this in "What Did You Get Today?" but will repeat it.  Just yesterday I stopped by a Michael's.  This store used to have a whole aisle of model kits.  Now their selection fits on the end of an aisle.  Maybe 10-15 kits total, all genres.  The latest car kit was the new Revell Ford Bronco (the stock version, not the Baja).

3 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Mentioned this in "What Did You Get Today?" but will repeat it.  Just yesterday I stopped by a Michael's.  This store used to have a whole aisle of model kits.  Now their selection fits on the end of an aisle.  Maybe 10-15 kits total, all genres.  The latest car kit was the new Revell Ford Bronco (the stock version, not the Baja).

Here, the section which used to be filled with models is now stocked with LEGO sets. I never got the feeling plastic models were a big seller for Michael's anyway, so I can't blame them for devoting their shelf space to things which they feel will sell better.

At any rate, there's a 50% off coupon this week:

pvwprt_99d07880-abca-11e8-8245-a3dbda85a

2 minutes ago, Deuces said:

I remember when Meiyers (sp) was selling kits for $9.99-10.99 back in the early 2000s... I was stocking up left and right with Revell and AMT kits.. Now, I barely buy any since the price hike..:huh:

Meijers also reduced the amount of kits at their store here. But at least they are mostly current kits unlike the local Michaels that has only older releases. 

• 2 weeks later...

My thought is Hobby Lobby is the Walmart of Hobby stores. They were the cheapest but their prices have skyrocketed the past few months. They know Micheals isn't going to carry them and the only other threat to them in my area is A.C.Moore. Their prices also jumped. Most new kits in both stores are over $30.00. A.C. Moore kits are all around $37.00 now. Once they stop carrying them Hobby Lobby can charge what they want. I think the best bet is Ebay or swap meets. I'm going to my first swap meet next month.

Edited by ewetwo

I went to Michaels to get some mold putty and went to check out the kits. The model section was moved from the back, where it formerly occupied an entire aisle, to one of the middle aisles and only fills half of one.There were two car kits: Revell '68 Charger @ $27.99 and the Baja Bronco at the same price. BTW, I noticed that Michaels has only been offering 30% off regular priced item coupons most days lately. Go to Hobby Lobby,Amazon, Staples, Walmart or AC Moore sites and d/l their 40% or more off coupons. Michaels accepts them.:

We ACCEPT all competitor coupons, including those digitally generated or printed off the internet from one of the following eligible online retailers’ websites: Acmoore.com, Amazon.com, Athome.com, Benfranklinonline.com, Dollargeneral.com, Familydollar.com, Hobbylobby.com, Joann.com, Officedepot.com, Partycity.com, Staples.com, Target.com, Walmart.com

We CANNOT accept competitors’ coupons if:

·  The coupon has expired;

·  We have already applied our Price Match Policy to the item in question;

·  The coupon is for a gift card with purchase;

·  All standard Michaels coupon exclusions apply.

This policy is subject to change without notice.

The one by me says that they are going to restock but that was months ago. They even moved what they had left to a smaller area. So I think they are stopping in my area. Then for me it would be Oliies, AC Moore and Hobby Lobby. Most of Hobby Lobby's new kits are well on their way to over $30 where I am. AC Moores all being $37.99 now. All over 100 mile round trip. 

Thats too bad. I may be wrong, but they hobby seems to be as strong as it ever was, retailers are just not carrying the products any more.  Our LHS closed down a few years ago after the owner had a heart attack. His son didnt want to keep the store open, he said it's a dead hobby. Meanwhile there were always customers and i know it was making money. A few months ago an RC shop opened up, they carry models but their prices start at $50 for a kit. At those prices, I'll be shopping online more.  

1 hour ago, Evil Appetite said:

Thats too bad. I may be wrong, but they hobby seems to be as strong as it ever was, retailers are just not carrying the products any more.  Our LHS closed down a few years ago after the owner had a heart attack. His son didnt want to keep the store open, he said it's a dead hobby. Meanwhile there were always customers and i know it was making money. A few months ago an RC shop opened up, they carry models but their prices start at $50 for a kit. At those prices, I'll be shopping online more.  

I think the hobby is going well. But it's hard when you all carry the same kits and have to compete against each other. And they have to jack the price up because of the discount coupons. 

image.png.e88d993115e7104dd2ee4d0f3334be03.png

Michaels lost touch with their consumers.  Here is their sparsely filled model shelves in their "Kids Toys" area.  Gotta love their poster of the intended consumer!  I wouldn't buy a kit there on principle!

My local Michaels is in the shopping center across the road from the brand new Hobby Lobby.  I can guarantee that Hobby Lobby is eating their lunch!  

Someone had posted on a board that Michaels was purchased by one of those venture capital firms that was squeezing the life out of the chain.

I remember stores like SS Kresge's and Federal Dept. stores used to sell kits for 1.79-1.99 a kit.. And the shelves we're full.... I was able to buy Testors model glue for???? I think 15¢ a tube at the Italian food market down the street a ways.... Sad that those places aren't around anymore.... ☹️

• 3 weeks later...

Both Michael's and AC Moore have 50% off on one item coupons in today's Sunday paper, good all week. AC Moore also has a 60% off coupon on one item, good today only (10/21).  Both stores honor the other's coupons. These coupons are probably available online. 

Haven't been in Michael's for a while now, but AC Moore has the price of "standard" Revell kits jacked up to $37.99. :blink:  They make even Hobby Lobby's Full Metal Retail look cheap by comparison (usually $29.99).