Model Cars Magazine Forum

Carbs: The most unrealistic part on every model car I've had

To answer a post somewhat farther back (that WAS on topic)...

factory Ford carbs are all fairly different looking than factory GM carbs with one or two exceptions. Ford did produce a factory "spreadbore" carb similar in shape to the Quadrajet carb, but still has a distinctive shape that's easy to spot if you've ever been exposed to them ( much prefer working on a Quadrajet rather than the Ford spreadbore).

I've been rather disappointed that a Ford 2BBL carb has never been faithfully produced in scale kits. Even if you don't want to use one on a V8 build they were a common swap onto four cylinder engines. I could probly rebuild one of them blindfolded.

I will most likely be getting some carbs from Chief Joseph...I just haven't yet.

Sorry about bringing this thread back from the dead, but it's NOT the end of it all. Chief Joseph of Fireball Models has stepped up and is delivering some Rochester Quadrajet carbs that but just about everything made to date to shame! This NEEDED to be added to this thread.

I purchased these for a build and was simply floored at the detail! Let the photos speak ... and remember, these are 1/24!

rochesterquadrajetcarburetorDSC_1467_zps

rochesterquadrajetcarburetorDSC_1469_zps

rochesterquadrajetcarburetorDSC_1470_zps

rochesterquadrajetcarburetorDSC_1471_zps

That is great looking Quad. Where did you get it from?

As to carbs, most of mine are covered by air cleaners so I don't get too upset about lack of detail on them. I'll pass along one tip, though: I've found Model Master Jet Exhaust to be an excellent color to use on factory carbs. It's kind of a steel gray with a definite goldish cast to it. Great stuff and one bottle will last for years.

On the general subject of "most unrealistic part," put me down for tires. Most model cars are sitting on perfectly round tires (what I call the "tippy toes" effect) whereas in real life, tires have a significant "flat spot" contact patch. For model airplanes there are aftermarket tires available with this flat spot molded in (though it's usually overdone), or you can just file it yourself into the hard styrene wheels/tires. Difficult to flat-spot model car vinyl or "rubber" tires and most people--including me--don't even seem to try very often. I'd definitely do it if I could come up with a good, foolproof way, as I don't spend all that much time pushing my little toy cars around on the table making "vroom vroom" noises. B):lol:

Yeah, I know.

I wasn't talking about molding technology or its limitations. I just answered the question posed by Mike... What's the most unrealistic part of most models.

He also asked this .... "I have seen some aftermarket carbs that ARE nicely done .. so why can't the model car makers do the same?

I think Art answered that question... and a very detailed and informative answer at that. It's good to have guys like Art on here that will take the time to give us interesting and accurate info.

?????? :huh:

It's been mentioned (and shown) right above your comment just a trifle.

Which it's why I stated "don't know if it's been mentioned yet or not". I wasn't going to read every single response on seven pages just to see if it had been mentioned. I posted my response at the bottom of page one. It put my response below the posts showing the carb.

For every part in a model kit, there is a cost, and that is a given. In addition, there is the factor of time, production time to consider. The plastic model car kits we buy and build are, simply put, a mass production item. With the limitations inherent in injection molding for mass production, to make a carburetor as intricately detailed, and accurately done as those by Chief Joseph, but in injection molding, would require several molds in the tooling, and quite fiddly assembly by a model builder. Of such are complaints about "over-engineering" a model kit born, unfortunately; not to mention the ultimate selling price of such kits.

Like it or not, plastic model kits are necessarily designed to a pretty common denominator, meaning a kit that can be afforded by the largest customer base possible, and readily built by that same largest customer base. The more intricacies in a model kit, the higher the price will be, and the smaller the customer base for it, which is surely understandable. Now this isn't written to discount some of the now-more-common criticisms, such as "floating" generators, alternators, power steering and AC pumps, those issues can be corrected in future kits, some already have been addressed by model companies over recent years. But I do think it's reasonable to point out the limitations imposed by costs, even more complicated and highly delicate assembly which could well turn off a lot of model builders. For these reasons, some superdetailed parts are probably best left to the aftermarket.

Art

Thanks for you comments, Art. I do understand what it would take for great carb molds. I've designed many injection molding machine foundations ... the big ones that use very complicated molds. What a nasty job designing a mold that will just pop a carb out of it!

I have a favorite carburetor, one that is correct to most Ford cars since 1957 to about 1967, and I just love the thing in 1:1 scale. It's easy to work on, has no joints below the fuel level, and just plain works. That's the Autolite 4100 I'm talking about.

To my knowledge there are just two kits where it can be found. The AMT 1957 Ford, and the AMT 1962 Thunderbird with the single quad option.

The carburetor on the '57 Ford is a very basic representation, barely recognizable as a 4100. The one on the Thunderbird kit is way better. Even comes in two parts.

8398882294_89dfbdc2ec_c.jpg1962 Thunderbird WIP by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

And the real deal:

15262340085_e92156cd83_c.jpg1974 Ford Galaxie 500 by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

Aside from making your own spoked wheels, not much you can do with them. There's no way to thin down the plastic spokes... if you want absolute scale fidelity the only choice is to scratchbuild your own... and that is a huge job that most of us wouldn't (or couldn't) do.

• 2 months later...